Sign in to follow this  

Use your protective gear!!!!!

New Moto rider, Lesson learned, I was going too fast around a corner, paniced and went into the ditch on a dirt road going about 40mph. :) at the wheel.

Mild concussion, blown ac in shoulder, big dent in shin, cant walk for a few days = priceless stupidity. :p

What makes this more embarrasing is that I have shin guards arm guards and a chest shoulder protector, none of which I was wearing. If I was wearing this stuff I wold have been fine. :)

http://natebate00.blogspot.com/2005/02/greenwater-with-friends-mt.html

http://natebate00.blogspot.com/2005/02/ouchie-dooochie.html

Glad you are mostly ok. This will give you time to shop for some good boots and ditch the shin guards. Kills two birds with one purchase.

Dang,,,that ouchie looks, like well,,,,ouchie :) glad to hear you are ok as in nothing major. I learned the hard way as well wearing an open face helmet not going fast at all but 1 little slow motion face plant into a concrete block and 14 stitches in my lip later. I now wear it all and try to save on the hospital trips. :)

OOOOUCH! s o r r y..

My problem now that i use asterisk knee guards and everything else i can think of.. is that I always have to factor in the 20+ minutes of getting dressedto ride(or crash) so i actually have less riding (and crashing)time BUT at least I do feel safer when i finally have time to ride (and crash) PLUS the wife can't call me crazy if i am fully suited up..but she did laugh when i showed her the $350.00 (each!!!) wrist guards that asterisk just came out with...so if i hurt my wrists I can blame her..kinda..

Glad you are mostly ok. This will give you time to shop for some good boots and ditch the shin guards. Kills two birds with one purchase.

I'd go so far as to recommend using the shin/knee guards in addition to a good set of boots. I firmly believe in overkill on protective gear (as long as it doesn't limit movement, which makes it more dangerous). I use boots, knee/shins, chest protectors, elbow/forearms (great for fending off tree branches!), in addition to the pads that are in my pants/jersey, as well as the obligatory helmet/gloves/goggles. *DO NOT* skimp on safety gear. It's not worth the $100 you saved if you get hurt because you weren't protected.

K- I'm done preaching now - I hope you recover soon and get back out on the trail! :)

Finally talked one of our riding buddies into buying knee/shin pads. All it took was showing him old teenage scars on the legs. If you ever rode BMX bikes youll remember beartrap pedals and no pads:cry: Now we have to talk him into elbow pads. :)

I feel your pain and wish you a speedy recovery...things happen fast on the bike and I have some scars to prove it. Mostly from bone-head s**t. You can replace that bike but it's kinda hard to start replacin' body parts. I'm guilty as well for not always wearin' full protection all the time but I'm gettin' too old not to at this point. Good luck and keep the shiny side up! :)

Ouch ! Sorry to hear about your get-off. :) As of yet, I've still never worn a chest protector, elbow or shin guards. I've gone in another direction with my protective gear... full set of Vanson Leathers :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v249/Gromit-1138/sheetiron.jpg

The summer riding gets a bit warm, but with the front and rear jacket vents open and a wet shirt layered underneath, it's liveable.

As James at Helimot says: "It's better to sweat than bleed".

I'd go so far as to recommend using the shin/knee guards in addition to a good set of boots. I firmly believe in overkill on protective gear (as long as it doesn't limit movement, which makes it more dangerous). I use boots, knee/shins, chest protectors, elbow/forearms (great for fending off tree branches!), in addition to the pads that are in my pants/jersey, as well as the obligatory helmet/gloves/goggles. *DO NOT* skimp on safety gear. It's not worth the $100 you saved if you get hurt because you weren't protected.

K- I'm done preaching now - I hope you recover soon and get back out on the trail! :)

Ditto. My knee/shin pads overlap my boots quite a bit so it is a bit redundent. I would add that I highly recommend the EVS R2 collar. I probably look like the michelin man, but I don't care.

I was riding last weekend and some guy had a slight wreck. He was fine, but he was calling for a ride or the truck as his bike looked beat.

All this stuff we wear now. When I start Mx racing in 73 it was a nylon jersey, open face helmet, jeans, and a stiff pair of boots. Roost hurt a lot! :)

...yeah, my father in law gives me that story too of "we used to go out to the desert with our Bultaco Matadors and ride like hell with only a helmet, boots, and gloves. None of that other stuff you are putting on..." I know he's really just teasing - and he's got way more stories of significant injuries from him and his riding buddies than I hope to ever have. :)

Also, around the mid-70's, folks started putting 3-inch foam inside their jerseys to help protect against the roost... The first days of the chest protector!

Man I don't know how guys just slip on a pair of tennis shoes and go trail blazing? That pic of your leg looks aweful nasty man! I always wear a set knee /upper schinn guards that tuck down in my Alpine stars. I went down in Colorado a few times and cracked one of my knee guards. Yea they work!!! My knee felt as if i was kneeling in the sand to play with my kid.(like it never happened) I think I payed like $7.00 for those knee guards and they payed me back like a million times over. A good pair of boots is like putting a good skid plate on your bike. You always want the best protection for the parts that are closest to the ground! :)