Sign in to follow this  

My Valve Story

I have an 05 CRF250R that I race hare scrambles and trails ride with every weekend,

sometimes 2 days. I would estimate that I have between 60-80 hours on the engine.

The bike has been flawless w/ no problems @ all. I went riding last Monday

in the pouring rain. The bike started 1st kick and ran great all day. I washed the bike

and tried to crank it the next day, it fired up after the cleaning. I went to warm the bike up

the next day to change the oils and it didn't want to start. I figured I had somehow flooded

it and went through my flooded starting drill and got it to fire. I changed the oils and went

riding the next day. The bike did not want to start. Once again, I went through my flooded

starting drill and got it to fire and it ran great all day, although it seemed to be running a little

rich. I got home, cleaned the bike, took the carb apart and cleaned it and all jets, put it

back together w/ a new plug in it and it would not start.

I checked the valves and the right intake had gone to zero. I was going to send it to

Pro Circuit, but my mechanic friend said Stainless Steel valves are the way to go.

Who am I to argue, he builds race engines for cars and boats for a living. I sent everything

off to Revolution Performance today to have their complete SS setup done to it.

I'm skeptical about the weight of the SS valves, but after talking to my engine building friend

and Steve @ Revolution Performance, I feel this is the way to go. It may not rev as fast, but

I doubt I will be able to tell the difference.

I do change the oil after every race or 2 trail rides and always clean my air filter.

I don't ever hit the rev limiter, but I do ride it hard. It's strange to me, I thought I would get

some subtle signs that it was going bad, but it seemed to happen really fast. I will also

vent my carb lines to the air box w/ PC Racing's vent system.

I'm not happy about this, but I'm not going to beech and moan, just get it fixed.

Not a price everyone is willing to pay to ride the most fun bike ever, for me that is,

but I guess I have to live w/ the good and bad. I'll send my suspension off

during the downtime and will be all smiles in a couple of weeks.

I have a 2005 rmz 250. I realize this is the crf corner of this site but thought I might share something with you about the SS valve set up. I had Eric Gorr put in all the SS goodies in my bike. I received the parts a couple of days ago and put the thing back together. Went for first ride yesterday. I could feel absolutly no difference in power or quickness of the reving what so ever. On paper it might make a small diff. But using the old "butt" method, there was no differnce at all......... :) Now we will just see how well it holds up compared to the stock valves which after about 30 hours on had no clearance what so ever......... :)

Hey AngryTim:

Sorry to read of your misfortunes, 60 to 80 hours huh! Kinda blows the '05's are fixed web theory!

How often were you monitoring the valve clearances? Did it go to zero quickly? Mine's holding up well, so far.

Thanks for all the past guidance, I'm pretty much dialed in to the baby 4 stroke now, it's becoming second nature. Getting the Scotts mounted up and slightly stretching out the cockpit made the bike feel more natural so I could relax. Still get the odd-ball stall though, guess the Rekluse will fix that, someday when a few $ float by. One interesting side benefit, when I get back on the 300 I fly. I'm so used to squeezing out every last drop of power it's made me faster overall. A great training tool.

Good luck. Let us know how the SS valves work out.

My 2004 intakes went just like yours. Put a whole season on it and I estimated 75 hours the intakes went to zero. I'm going with an 2005 head and honda valves and pretty much concluded that they need to be replaced yearly. The SS sounds interesting and I may try it.

Sorry to read of your misfortunes, 60 to 80 hours huh! Kinda blows the '05's are fixed web theory!

The 2005 CRFs still experience the same valve recession issues.

Hey clw. I had checked them twice and they were perfect. It happened really

fast. It confuses me. Why would the left intake be @ .005, the exhaust

@ .010, and the right intake @ zero.

Glad to hear you're liking the bike. I'm going to get on the 04 250EXC this weekend

and see how I like riding the 2 stroke again.

Hey clw. I had checked them twice and they were perfect. It happened really

fast. It confuses me. Why would the left intake be @ .005, the exhaust

@ .010, and the right intake @ zero.

That sucks. Have you checked the top of the carb for any signs of dirt??

That sucks. Have you checked the top of the carb for any signs of dirt??

I'll take a look and post the pictures if there is any.

shut up. this is serious for him, i dont see why you guys keep comin in and ruinin topics

He doesn't bother me, beyond the point that he can fog a mirror.

I rode a YZF250 and liked my KTMs better. I'll get the little red bike fixed

and will be all smiles soon.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Kadensmith44
      I’m wanting to powder coat my bike but it’s all new to me. I’ve got a powder coater picked out that I’ve heard is good for what I’m doing. I’m not 100% what kind of sand blaster I need and what kind of media. I have also heard you can’t cook in the oven after you’ve baked your parts is that true?
    • By luke8500
      Hi all, 
      I have a 2004 honda crf250r and it wont start hot at all. The motor was just rebuilt with a new cylinder and piston. The valves were just adjusted. It will start cold in 1 or 2 kicks with choke but as soon as it gets hot it wont start. If you bump start it the motor will just turn over without starting.  sometimes it will start. It runs great until you shut it off.  im thinking its either a fuel issue or an electrical issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 
    • By SandSoldier
      Hello! This listing is for my 2007 Honda CRF250R dirt bike. Last winter I spun the rod bearing and just recently finished rebuilding it. Selling to fund new bike. I am currently the second owner.

Current registration valid until 2020, pink slip in hand.

Fresh parts:
      -top end kit: Wiseco; forged, moly skirt coated, 12.9:1 comp ratio (new wrist pin, gaskets, etc)
      -cylinder: new OEM
      -bottom end kit: Wiseco; (new bearings, seals, etc)
      -oil pump: new OEM
      -head studs & nuts: new OEM

-fresh oil and filter
      -all tolerances checked in top end
      -valves adjusted
      -carb adjusted

Note:
      *rebuild was done by my dad (master tech at CAT) and I (4th year mechanical engineering student)
      *has maybe 15 minutes on new parts, IT HAS NOT BEEN PROPERLY BROKEN IN YET
      *I have email receipts, pics of rebuild, and old parts as proof of rebuild, just ask and I'll show em off

Other parts:
      -90% tread on front and rear tires
      -excell takasago front wheel
      -custom aluminum skid plate
      -wrap around hand guards
      -spark arrestor
      -kickstand

Feel free to ask for any more specifics or pictures!

LOCAL PICK UP ONLY

Thanks!
    • By Matt Ray
      Okay so the title is a little vague. 
      So it was having trouble idling and even starting when I first bought it about a month ago for $2k. 
      So I did a rough clean of carb, looked up on YouTube, Forums, Etc on how to do it. I only cleaned jets with carb cleaner and sprayed around the float bowl area and such, so not too extensive.
      Did that and I took it out to a park, It would start up right away mostly, few kicks sometimes, but when I got it started, I had to keep the choke on. Right when I was ready to go fast and go up to 3rd and 4th gear I'd switch it off and it would work fine and sound fine and everything, but when I slowed back down and coasted around 1st gear i'd pop it back out again because it sounded like it was going to do. I have some videos if people would like me to link to them.

So after that I decided to take it apart and replace spark plug with OEM NGK R0409B-8, replace main jet from a old 170 to a new 170, replaced pilot jet from a old 40 to a new 42, and kept starter jet the same just made sure that wasn't clogged, ordered a new adjustable fuel screw and used that.
      and it was still having a little bit of problems! I just started up today and the day before today. It would run only with choke on, if i twisted throttle in neutral it sounded pretty good, no gun shot noises or anything, pretty smooth. 
      If I tried to take choke off it would die immediately. So I started it back up again, took around 6 kicks.. So again with choke on it sounded like it was starting to lose power and RPM's would drop so I'd twist throttle a few times and it would stay idling.. then after a small amount of time, start to sound like its about to die again... so I would rev it up again, and repeat..

Fuel line isn't clogged, flows fine.
      I tried fuel screw everywhere between 1 and 2 turns out..
      I checked valve clearances, and I'm no expert but from the videos I watched the slipped underneath intake and exhaust with only minor force.
      So I'm lost.. 
      Maybe float bowl is messed up? Should I just do a COMPLETE carb rebuild from videos I've seen on youtube, like this one -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AXb9UprT30? Or what? 

It's getting annoying taking it apart all the time, I jsut want it to start up quickly and run well!!

Thank you!

Austin, TX, Elevation 600ft, where I ride its around 900ft

• By Bryan Bosch
      WASHINGTON, D.C. – August 16, 2018 – (Motor Sports Newswire) –

Honda Recall Summary:
      Name of product: CRF250R Off-Road Motorcycles Hazard: The clutch outer can break, posing crash and injury hazards. Remedy: Repair Recall date: August 16, 2018 Units: About 3,200
      Consumer Contact: American Honda toll-free at 866-784-1870 from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. PT Monday through Friday or online at http://powersports.honda.com/ and click on “Recall Information” at the bottom of the page for more information.
      Honda Recall Details:
      Description: This recall involves all 2018 Model Year CRF250R off-road motorcycles. The recalled motorcycles were sold in a red color. The names “HONDA” and “CRF250R” are printed on the sides of the motorcycle. The model name and model year are printed on a name plate label located at the front right top of the frame, near the steering head.
      Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled off-road motorcycles and contact their local authorized Honda Powersports dealer to schedule an appointment for a free repair. Honda is contacting all known purchasers directly.
      Incidents/Injuries: American Honda has received 19 reports of clutch failure, including two that led to engine lock up. No crashes or injuries reported.
      Sold At: Authorized Honda Powersports dealers nationwide from November 2017 through July 2018 for about $8,000.
      Manufacturer(s): American Honda Motor Company Inc., of Torrance, Calif. Manufactured In: Japan Recall number: 18-759 This recall was conducted, voluntarily by the company, under CPSC’s Fast Track Recall process. Fast Track recalls are initiated by firms, who commit to work with CPSC to quickly announce the recall and remedy to protect consumers.
      The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is charged with protecting the public from unreasonable risks of injury or death associated with the use of thousands of types of consumer products under the agency’s jurisdiction. Deaths, injuries, and property damage from consumer product incidents cost the nation more than $1 trillion annually. CPSC is committed to protecting consumers and families from products that pose a fire, electrical, chemical or mechanical hazard. CPSC’s work to help ensure the safety of consumer products – such as toys, cribs, power tools, cigarette lighters and household chemicals -– contributed to a decline in the rate of deaths and injuries associated with consumer products over the past 40 years.
      Federal law bars any person from selling products subject to a publicly-announced voluntary recall by a manufacturer or a mandatory recall ordered by the Commission.
      Source: Consumer Product Safety Commission