[[Template core/global/plugins/realFaviconGenerator does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]] Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

My Valve Story

I have an 05 CRF250R that I race hare scrambles and trails ride with every weekend,

sometimes 2 days. I would estimate that I have between 60-80 hours on the engine.

The bike has been flawless w/ no problems @ all. I went riding last Monday

in the pouring rain. The bike started 1st kick and ran great all day. I washed the bike

and tried to crank it the next day, it fired up after the cleaning. I went to warm the bike up

the next day to change the oils and it didn't want to start. I figured I had somehow flooded

it and went through my flooded starting drill and got it to fire. I changed the oils and went

riding the next day. The bike did not want to start. Once again, I went through my flooded

starting drill and got it to fire and it ran great all day, although it seemed to be running a little

rich. I got home, cleaned the bike, took the carb apart and cleaned it and all jets, put it

back together w/ a new plug in it and it would not start.

I checked the valves and the right intake had gone to zero. I was going to send it to

Pro Circuit, but my mechanic friend said Stainless Steel valves are the way to go.

Who am I to argue, he builds race engines for cars and boats for a living. I sent everything

off to Revolution Performance today to have their complete SS setup done to it.

I'm skeptical about the weight of the SS valves, but after talking to my engine building friend

and Steve @ Revolution Performance, I feel this is the way to go. It may not rev as fast, but

I doubt I will be able to tell the difference.

I do change the oil after every race or 2 trail rides and always clean my air filter.

I don't ever hit the rev limiter, but I do ride it hard. It's strange to me, I thought I would get

some subtle signs that it was going bad, but it seemed to happen really fast. I will also

vent my carb lines to the air box w/ PC Racing's vent system.

I'm not happy about this, but I'm not going to beech and moan, just get it fixed.

Not a price everyone is willing to pay to ride the most fun bike ever, for me that is,

but I guess I have to live w/ the good and bad. I'll send my suspension off

during the downtime and will be all smiles in a couple of weeks.

I have a 2005 rmz 250. I realize this is the crf corner of this site but thought I might share something with you about the SS valve set up. I had Eric Gorr put in all the SS goodies in my bike. I received the parts a couple of days ago and put the thing back together. Went for first ride yesterday. I could feel absolutly no difference in power or quickness of the reving what so ever. On paper it might make a small diff. But using the old "butt" method, there was no differnce at all......... :) Now we will just see how well it holds up compared to the stock valves which after about 30 hours on had no clearance what so ever......... :)

Hey AngryTim:

Sorry to read of your misfortunes, 60 to 80 hours huh! Kinda blows the '05's are fixed web theory!

How often were you monitoring the valve clearances? Did it go to zero quickly? Mine's holding up well, so far.

Thanks for all the past guidance, I'm pretty much dialed in to the baby 4 stroke now, it's becoming second nature. Getting the Scotts mounted up and slightly stretching out the cockpit made the bike feel more natural so I could relax. Still get the odd-ball stall though, guess the Rekluse will fix that, someday when a few $ float by. One interesting side benefit, when I get back on the 300 I fly. I'm so used to squeezing out every last drop of power it's made me faster overall. A great training tool.

Good luck. Let us know how the SS valves work out.

My 2004 intakes went just like yours. Put a whole season on it and I estimated 75 hours the intakes went to zero. I'm going with an 2005 head and honda valves and pretty much concluded that they need to be replaced yearly. The SS sounds interesting and I may try it.

Sorry to read of your misfortunes, 60 to 80 hours huh! Kinda blows the '05's are fixed web theory!

The 2005 CRFs still experience the same valve recession issues.

Hey clw. I had checked them twice and they were perfect. It happened really

fast. It confuses me. Why would the left intake be @ .005, the exhaust

@ .010, and the right intake @ zero.

Glad to hear you're liking the bike. I'm going to get on the 04 250EXC this weekend

and see how I like riding the 2 stroke again.

Hey clw. I had checked them twice and they were perfect. It happened really

fast. It confuses me. Why would the left intake be @ .005, the exhaust

@ .010, and the right intake @ zero.

That sucks. Have you checked the top of the carb for any signs of dirt??

That sucks. Have you checked the top of the carb for any signs of dirt??

I'll take a look and post the pictures if there is any.

He doesn't bother me, beyond the point that he can fog a mirror.

I rode a YZF250 and liked my KTMs better. I'll get the little red bike fixed

and will be all smiles soon.