Sign in to follow this  

Tire Choices

Currently using the Metzler Karroo rear, 140/80/18

and Bridgestone E661 front, 90/90/21.

The E661 is a more aggressive DOT front tire then most, but still has

a decent center contact patch for street use.

Both do well all around IMO. Going to try the Terra Flex type two 140/80/18

on the rear next, its about $15 more then the Karroo but gets good reviews.

Ive got Kenda K270s on right now, and they are a nice tire for the money. Decent on dirt, and pretty good on the street too. Starting to get pretty bad cupping on the front. Prolly a good 70dirt/30street tire. Got about 2500 hard(mostly street wheelies ect) miles on em and they are almost gone.

Brand new in the box I have a set of Kenda K761s(not the 671). I really like the tread pattern, and think its gonna fit my riding preferences good.

Its hard not to love the $50 per tire prices of Kendas. My buddy rags me all the time with his Metzs and Avons, but I can put on almost 2 SETS for what he pays for 1 tire. Just my personal prefs though, im sure others will frown :)

Its hard not to love the $50 per tire prices of Kendas. My buddy rags me all the time with his Metzs and Avons, but I can put on almost 2 SETS for what he pays for 1 tire. Just my personal prefs though, im sure others will frown :)

You can get a set of metz karoos shipped for $102 from www.ronayers.com

The front is a decent 50/50 tire, but not good in the soft stuff. I get the

rear alone for $70 shipped and the front Bridgestone E661 for $50+.

The Terra FLex rear I want is $85 shipped.

You can get a set of metz karoos shipped for $102 from www.ronayers.com

The front is a decent 50/50 tire, but not good in the soft stuff. I get the

rear alone for $70 shipped and the front Bridgestone E661 for $50+.

The Terra FLex rear I want is $85 shipped.

Wow nice prices :) The karoo is a little to agressive for the 70% pavement that I like, but I do really like the looks(and almost bought) of the Metzeler Enduro 3 Sahara

I am a 70% street rider on a xr650L. I find any exuse to ride in the dirt, nothing to much, fire roads, fields, mud etc. I wanted a more aggresive tire so I bought a D606 rear. It is OK in the dirt, but scary as hell on the street. I am afraid to even use my back brake because it locks up so easily. I am thinking about getting a new tire for the rear before this one even wears out, maybe I'll go back to a more traditional dual-sport tire. Instead of just recommending tires maybe you guys can say how they feel on the street. I would much rather lay it down in the dirt than lay it down and then get smoked by an 18 wheeler. Everyone says the stock tires were so horrible on the street and in the dirt, but the D606 is even worse on the street,

IS THERE ANYTHING THAT IS GOOD FOR BOTH?

Dirts what I care about, but just enough street traction to keep from getting killed.

Terrorflex and an MT21 or MT18HD front.

Dave

I love to show people how well knobbies stick on the street. A wasted pair of Dunlop 606's on my stock DRZ would shock all liter bikes that I encounter in the city corners. You just have to get use to the feel of riding on a square tire, keeping your foot off the rear brake to prevent a slide or skid. The only problem with the 606 on the street would be in the wet. As for off road this is the only so called dirt tire I have tried. I am more of a street rider so can't give info what they did in the dirt. I just noticed that they worked better in the sand the more they were worn down?!! I would have never guessed. BTW I got about 2500 miles on the rears, and almost 5000 on the front? I wish I could do that with my R6!!

All Knobbie DOT Kenda Trackmaster 2's on the Transalp

All knobbie non DOT Bridgestone MX tires on the NX250

All knobbie non DOT Kenda Millvills on the Cannondale

All 3 bikes are rode on and off road.

babbs- actually the stock tires on my dr650se(bridgestone trailwings, aka deathwings) were great on the street but on step off road and that was it. you hit anything loose, sandy type soil, and it's like ice. i have about 3500 miles on them and the front is still pretty decent but the rear is as smooth as a baby's bottom :) i had it out the other day and was feeling it loose traction a good bit. wouldn't know why lol. but anyway i got a set of irc gp1's that i need to put on. i like the looks of the tread and pattern and am anxious to get them on but i'm kinda trying to wait out this cold weather :)