Sign in to follow this  

how hard is it to change cams

I have a 04 wr 250f. I bought a set of used Hot cams a few months ago. I have the exhaust and intake. I want to put them in and change my timing to yzf timing. I need some encouragement becase I am scared to take it apart and attempt it. How difficult is it? And where can I find the best instructions? I have not done anywork on this or any motorcycle before except oil changes. I also need to check valve clearances, so I figure I might as well get in there and do everything. I am eger to learn otherwise I would just take it to the shop. Thanks for advice, Paul

Amazingly it is a fairly simple process. if you have the service manual that came with the bike it will tell you everything you need to know. You basically just have to get the bike to top dead center (TDC) before you take anything apart. You will need a good torque wrench that will go down to i believe 87 INCH POUNDS not FOOT POUNDS to retorque the cam caps. I do not have a book with me to verify that but it is in the service manual. If you are not comfortable doing this I would definately talk to someone who has done it to help you. It is not very hard. I was afraid the first time I messed with one and was surprised how easy it really was.... Hope this helps. If not post more questions.. :)

The thumperFAQ has a good write-up and the Feb/05 issue of DirtBike has an article on the procedure too. Most mechanics like to use 75 inch-pounds of torque, but this could be just a nice round number. And, get some good assembly lube and don't be afraid to use it generously.

You will need a good torque wrench that will go down to i believe 87 INCH POUNDS not FOOT POUNDS to retorque the cam caps.