Sign in to follow this  

New (to me) WR400 in MI

Hey folks,

Just found this forum when I was told of a '99 WR400 for sale. I used to race an '84 XR200R in FL in Hare Scrambles. Having given the bike to a buddy (she was on her last leg), I decided to buy a street bike (sold my CBR9 before moving to MI 1 1/2 years ago). At the shop in Coloma getting new rubber mounted up, I got to talking to the parts salesman and a floor salesman who told me of a bike for sale. They also gave me some info, and from there I found MI's AMA D-14 HS series and this site. They say they ride quite often, all over, so maybe I can meet some of you folks. I plan on making at least 4 HS this year, those being Portland and Battle Creek. I live down in SW MI in Berrien county.

Lots of good info here so far, and some great pics! Looking forward to spending lots of time here!

Coloma, huh? Paw Paw Lake Sports?

Mark Pazera's a good guy, I used to work for him in a past life. Welcome to TT

There a couple of us just a short drive down the highway in the Kzoo area. We'll ahve to hook up. I know of a couple local spots to goof off in. and there are a couple track in ther area. But all the good woods riding is up north.

Welcome to TT :)

Joe,

Thanks! There WILL be questions! :)

wolf_child,

Thanks for the welcome also. Yep, Paw Paw Lake Sports. I didn't know anyone up here to do the little shop work I need, and Honda in Benton Harbor didn't impress me over the phone.

Keep me posted on when you guys get together. I prefer woods/trail stuff to MX, but that's because I never had a bike that could handle more than 4 feet of air. The XR did a time or 2, and I broke the exhaust can off. I love watching MX, both on TV and in person. I'm going to try to make Red Bud this year, as well as Dutch's National GNCC meet.

Thanks again!

wolf_child,

Thanks for the welcome also. Yep, Paw Paw Lake Sports. I didn't know anyone up here to do the little shop work I need, and Honda in Benton Harbor didn't impress me over the phone.

I know what you mean, Actually those two shops used top be ownd by the same guy in Chicago. (Mark's dad George)

I dont much care for Dana and his crew at Harbor. But his head wrench, Phil, is a damn good mechanic, and a pretty good guy when you get to know him. I would trust him in a heartbeat to wrench on anything I own. Too bad his talent is wasted in that place.

Keep watching the north forum for upcoming rides.. we pretty much coordinate through here. :)

Planning on Portland myself. I suck at it but its fun. I stay out of everybodys way and always move over for faster riders. There will be 2 or 3 of us there. Give a shout if your headed there.

Phil, is a damn good mechanic, and a pretty good guy when you get to know him. I would trust him in a heartbeat to wrench on anything I own.

Keep watching the north forum for upcoming rides.. we pretty much coordinate through here. :)

Thanks for the tip about Phil. I may have to stop in sometime and meet him.

I'll keep looking here for rides. That's the stuff I miss - out getting dirty and hanging out with friends. I'm selling my 2 race cars (Hartford enduro cars) so I can get back to the bikes. If you try to do too much, you won't do anything.

Justin

Planning on Portland myself. I suck at it but its fun. I stay out of everybodys way and always move over for faster riders. There will be 2 or 3 of us there. Give a shout if your headed there.

I hear ya - I pretty much spend half the race getting out of people's way. I really enjoy being out there, tho. It's a great way to spend a weekend, if ya ask me.

I plan on making Portland and BC. If Copemish looks do-able (all other events working out (job, g/f), stars align, Lord willing and the creek don't rise, etc.), then I'll try it as well. Dunno yet - distance may preclude it - 220 miles, give or take. Once I get registered with the AMA, I'll let you know what my number is and what I'm driving.

Justin

C-ya, you should try some motocross man, that wr is good enough. Man you've got Red Bud just a ways away.

Give it a shot man, you western MI guys have it good; lots a good ridin. :)

C-ya, you should try some motocross man, that wr is good enough. Man you've got Red Bud just a ways away.

Give it a shot man, you western MI guys have it good; lots a good ridin. :)

I prolly will. I'll go out on an open ride/practice day and just see how it feels. Seems as tho that's all people associate dirt bikes with. I don't know how many people ask me if I race at Red Bud. They've never heard of hare scrambles or enduros.

well hello there im one of the ones over in kzoo to, wolfy and i have trailored up to the north several times last year. im on a yz426 which i love, but i have gotten a chance to ride several other bikes from those we ride with and if i could change it would be for a crf450. i know one guy on here has a wr450, and i think another has or had a wr426 all good bikes. im a member of the battle creek motocross club, its a great track to get used to jumping it doesnt have lots of do or die jumps, and we have a pee wee(if you have littens) and a vintage track that runs thro0ugh the woods. i have course marshelled the last hairscrambels that we had i may race it this next year. yea let us know if you want to head up with us. ohh and the only spot i have had anybody work on my bikes is either fast bikes in gr, or harvey suzuki did some for me here and there last year. nice meeting more of us from down here hehe

Howdy C-ya. I am a west side'er from Muskegon. Wolf, Zuki and a bunch others of us frequently ride together in the summer. Just keep an eye out here for the closest ride in your area.

Next big one is the March 19th Snow Chicken north of Baldwin. Check out the other post in the north forum for more info on that.

let us know if you want to head up with us.

Thanks for the welcome. That would be great if I could meet up with someone from here at/before the race to help me learn the layout and get the lowdown. Also more fun in the evening if you have someone to drink and swap lies with!

Howdy C-ya. I am a west side'er from Muskegon. Wolf, Zuki and a bunch others of us frequently ride together in the summer. Just keep an eye out here for the closest ride in your area.

Next big one is the March 19th Snow Chicken north of Baldwin. Check out the other post in the north forum for more info on that.

Well, I have a drill weekend that weekend (USNR), so I won't be able to make that. The 4 races I want to make are non-DWE, so that's a plus. Dutch is open, too, IIRC.

I'll keep an eye out for open dates to ride. Never hurts to get more practice! Plus, it's always nice to meet other like-minded folks.

Just moved to GR from your neck of the woods. Give some consideration to two places/events in Indiana. In Plymouth Indiana is the Plymouth Blackhawks Harescambles Club. They run 3-4 races per year and are a D-15 member - early as March, last race the first week of December and a couple of off-schedule HS races for the fun of it whenever enough guys whine loud enough - 1 to 2 year. Less than one hour from where you live and a great ride (D-15 site is at motoracing.com). In Rochester/Akron Indiana (1.5 hours from where you live) are the Reads Racing Tracks (readsracing.com). Reads runs a GP series (hour long races through woods and grass track) that are a total hoot. Many of us run the age classes at 830 am rest an hour while they race the minis and then come back for another hour of racing at 1030/1100 in the a/b/c classes. Lots of WR/EXC bikes entered. No doubles, just tabletops and tons of natural terrain. Believe they have 7-8 races in '05. In New Paris Indiana and Goshen (1.5 - 2.0 hours) are two national class National Enduros. Believe New Paris has the National Race this year but could be wrong. Lots of guys from MI have these on their don't-miss lists. D-14 HS/Enduro website has more info. Happy riding!

lots of interesting stuff...

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll definitely look into those events. Hadn't thought of that, even tho I saw that MI holds dual region events (D-14 & D-15).

Thanks again. Forums are where it's at, man. Anytime I've ever been on one (cars, guns, bikes) - just tons of helpful folks with tons of great info. :)

Hey C-ya, im in Baroda, MI...probably pretty close to you, and I also ride a 99 WR 400.

I plan on doing the Roselawn Enduro race in IN this April and a few others if the wife will let me, she rides a TTR125L and I try to find places where she can ride too.

Jerrit

Just a bit north-east of Kazoo. Tried a HS last fall for teh first time in ...oh, like 30-35 yrs. WEnt up to Kalkaska and entered the "SS" class! It was fun being around a race, but it weren't nothing like I recall teh few HS I ran years ago. The ones I ran back then were much more wide-open and faster....ran on a lot of power lines, two-tracks, etc. THis one.....way too much in the bramble/briarpatch for my tastes. I also had an ill-suited bike for that kind of stuff. Oh well, at least I got to ride and get dirty!!!

Hey C-ya, im in Baroda, MI

Jerrit

Jerrit,

Me too! Right next to Brunke's. I have 2.4 acres - enough to go out and mess around, but I can't do any real riding. Where do you and your wife ride for fun/practice?

I will miss the first 2 HS (one in Mi and one in IN) due to work and Naval Reserve commitments, but I do plan on racing at least 5 this year. I won't be able to make the Roselawn race to cheer you on/console you/drink a few with you due to both of the above - on the same weekend.

Give me a yell - we'll get together sometime.

Justin

Just a bit north-east of Kazoo. Tried a HS last fall for teh first time

Hey CharlieT,

Do you plan on doing any more HS? Like I said above, I'd like to do at least 5 this year. I'll let you guys know which one will be my first race - right now, it looks like May 1 in Ligonier, IN will be it. If anybody will be running that one let me know. Start a separate thread if you want to or PM me.