Transmission Trouble

We had 2nd gear fail on the gate yesterday. This the 1st problem we had with a 2004 that was purchased in May o4 and ridden every week at least 2-3 times a week.

My question is, will the 05 trans parts work in an 04? I would like to put 05 gears in the bike since they are supposed to be stronger.

Thanks!

Jesse

I had a bike in the shop that did the same thing. Turns out it was a bent shift fork. Had to replace all the gears and shims and snap rings on that shaft plus the fork itself. Good luck.

The bike we did would shift directly from first to third. If you shifted really slowly you could feel it grab second then when load was put on it, it would jump to third.

Thanks for the input. I pulled the motor out today and drained the oil. The oil was clean so I'm not sure if the gear came apart. Maybe it just has a bent shift fork. Unfortunately, I have to go to the Miami boat show until next week so I won't be able to tear it down and order parts until next week.

Another question, How about the radiators? Can I just bolt on 05 radiators?

Another question, How about the radiators? Can I just bolt on 05 radiators?

yes, the hoses are different sizes though so you'll have to cut yours or buy new ones.

for the same cost of the 05 rads you can get fluid dyne (i think that's the name) that are even bigger and will cool even more. I think they are like 450$ for a set verses the 300 each radiator for Kaw.

teamjester where in Florida are you from?? Do ride for pleasure or race?

I shot peen all the gears in our race bikes. Then I polish them in a vibratory polisher. In house.

If you arent landing with the ball of your foot on the peg you can have your weight on the shifter.

This isnt a warranty issue if the shifter is bent. I would check everything in the tranny. If there is any damage/rounding of the dogs between on gear and the next I would replace all of the gears. If there is only slight damage There is a place near falicon cranks in Clearwater fl that will remachine or undercut every gear and its fairly inexpensive. They will also do the shot peening/cryo treating and polishing. Pm me if you need help with this.

WMR probally has the parts in stock. Norman

Thanks for the input Norman.

My son races the 125C and we live in Palm Bay, Florida. We just finished the Winter Ams a few weeks ago and we were at the 1st FMX series race when it happened.

As far as parts, I have a buddy that sells me everything at 10% over his cost. I am going to replace the bad gears with new parts. The good thing is that it didn't destroy any gears and didn't have metal through the whole bottom end. I haven't had time to thoroughly inspect every part, hopefully I will get to do that this weekend and order everything Monday.

I think am also going to put a new crank in it since I have it out now anyways.

If its more than a few months old and you have it apart definately put in the crank and a new top end. If you have a hard time getting any of the parts we usually have most everything in house. Call me if you need anything. 863 357 3400. We live in Okeechobee.

I can also steer you in the right direction if you wanna do any mods while you have it apart.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys I bought an 04 RMZ 250 down here in Oz that did the same thing and shat 2nd gear. It completely desptroyed everything; engine cases, clutch basket, output shafts, gear forks. You name it it destroyed it. Not a happy camper after only a few months riding!!! Anyhow I have bought all new part (several thousands later) but was wondering if the 05 parts are actually stronger? Anyone help on this one as if this happened agian I would simply sell bike.

thanks