Hot Cams Install

Okay Guys... this should be a silly question from someone of my experience working on 4-strokes (...I had an RMZ... been in these motors more than a few times). But, I'm getting ready to install a set of hot cams, and I'm wondering if I need to re-shim or not.

On one hand I'm thinking the cams are precision made, and it's more a matter of the height of the lifters. On the other hand, since we're talking about thousandths here, minor differences in cam tolerances could change the clearance.

So, what do you guys think? Frankly, after the RMZ, I'm sick of shimming, and if I can possibly avoid it, I'd like to. But, if it's necessary... well.. I'll do it.

~Tex

'05 YZF

'04 RMZ

If I were putting in new cams I would definately check the clearance. Hopefully you will not have to re-shim. But once it is done I think you will be happy, the yamaha's seem to need quite abit less shiming then the suzuki's do. At least my 02yamaha needs it alot less then my 05 rmz!! :)

You wont need to reshim if you dont need to now with the oem cam. As you said cams are precision ground.

I didn't need to shim mine but always check clearances.

:) actually, i had to reshim ..middle intake valve was .127 and changed to .0703..so i had to go down .05..exhaust valves are on min now as well :)

How do you like the hotcams?

I'm sitting with my hot cams in front of me trying to get the balls to to dive in and install them. I dont get how to line them up. One of them has some paint marks on them and the other has 2 small dots. Does anyone know what to do? Also, I bought them used and the previous owner said he moved the sproket on the adjustable one. I was wondering if any one knows how I can set it back so that it is close to the stock setting without buying the degree tool? Thanks for any help. Paul.

Thanks for the input guys. What I was really hoping to hear was "No. you don't need to shim". But, I guess "if you are within spec you should be okay" is close enough. My '05 only has about 8 hours on it, so at least there's a decent chance they'll be within spec.

Thanks for the help guys.

~Tex

'05 YZF

'04 RMZ

What are the best aftermarket cams for a 05 YZ250F right now in yoru opinions? and what imporvements do they give?

You can't go wrong with WEB or Hot cams. You can specify either a torque cam which will improve your low to mid power or a rev cam that will improve your mid to top end performance.

:) hey david..i've got a set of hot cams installed on my bike...i was not told that there was two different cam,especially when you can adjust them...are hot cams avlb in the two different options or is it the web cams you are talking about..

WEB cams manufactures two different cams grinds the torque and the rev. Hot cams I understand only offers one type of grind not sure if it is a torque or rev grind. Another idea if you really want to dial in your power band is to purchase slotted cam sprockets and degree your Hot cams to the optimum timing.

WEB cams manufactures two different cams grinds the torque and the rev. Hot cams I understand only offers one type of grind not sure if it is a torque or rev grind. Another idea if you really want to dial in your power band is to purchase slotted cam sprockets and degree your Hot cams to the optimum timing.

The Hot Cams is a slotted intake cam gear that allows for a range of timing.

with the hot cam intake cam has anyone adjusted the adjustable sprocket? Did you use the degree wheel or has anyone come up with another method? I looked at the picture of the kit at there websight and see that it includes a dial gage which I already own so I was wondering if I could creat my own degree wheel kit? I was also looking for instructions for how to use the kit so I can understand how it works. Can anyone explain? Thanks, Paul

Thanks for the input guys. What I was really hoping to hear was "No. you don't need to shim". But, I guess "if you are within spec you should be okay" is close enough. My '05 only has about 8 hours on it, so at least there's a decent chance they'll be within spec.

Thanks for the help guys.

~Tex

'05 YZF

'04 RMZ

Tex, Do you want to sell your stock cams? My '01 WR could use an update!

I'm not sure yet Mitch. I'm going to wait a week or two before I install the Hot Cams, and I'll have to see how I like 'em. I might be willing to sell the stockers though. PM me about a week from Monday. I hope to ride with them next weekend, and I should know then.

~Tex

TexLaBo - you'll like the Hot Cams, don't worry. I'm keeping my stockers for when I sell the bike so I can take the Hot Cams with me.