Balance you Dual-Sport tires?

Ive always balanced my tires on my DR650 just like a street bike. My riding buddy just put new rubber on his XR650L and the guy at the local shop says theres no need to balance them. The guy says to just line up a spot on the tire with the valvestem and away you go.... What do you guys think? Lets make a POLL out of it :)

I run up to 90mph on occasion, I like them balanced. :)

I have never balanced a DP tire. But I ride mostly trails or around town so it offers no benefit to me. I don't see how I could keep them balanced anyway since my tires get chunked or I get flats from rocks. It seems to me like tearing a few chunks out of my tire or putting a new tube in it would negate any benefit from balancing.

Just curious since you guys have done it, how much weight do they have to use to offset the rim lock?

If you're going to do some high speed pavement use, balancing isn't a bad idea. You really wont notice any difference on trails or around town though.

I think if you do any highway riding, then it's worth getting them balanced. On my rear tire, it took 11 x .25oz weights, plus the original tire weight which I have no idea the weight of, to balance out the rim lock.

My new Karoo's were bouncing completely off the ground @ 30mph on the street unbalanced. However the unbalanced Deathwings were fine.

Needless to say I got the Karoo's balanced. It took like 6oz. too.

We ballance our ice tires up in the north for racing on the frozen lakes. When you are flying around the ice at high speeds they can really start to hop. Kinda the same thing you are talking about riding on the paved roads.

Never need to. Even with dunlop 606's that made on the high way, they never needed it. On the other hand, I you run rim locks I would balance ASAP!!

The running theme here is if you don't run a rimlock it's not much of a problem but if you run rimlocks then you should balance them. I have always balanced my dual sport tires and it does make a difference, even in the dirt. Try flying down a dirt road at 75 with your back tire bouncing all over the place and you'll know what I'm talking about.

I have found that 2.5oz of weight will counter balance a front rimlock and 4.0oz of weight will counter balance the rear. I use the self-stick 1/4oz weights I got from my local shop and put them directly across from the rimlock, putting half of the weights on one side of the rim and half on the other.

I have seen some people get fishing weights that have a slit on one side and put them on the spokes, it's all a matter of personal preference.

I have never had a problem at any speed on any road and I have never owned a bike that didn't have rim locks. I never even considered the idea of balancing DP tires before. I don't know what the difference is unless it is from running DOT knobbies. I have never ridden on anything else except a few miles on various OEM junkers like Trailwings. Maybe I am just used to dirt bikes.

I just bought a Transalp with street tires, I took them off and put full knobbies (Kenda Trackmaster 2) and did not ballance them. I feel no difference even at 75 mph, I added a rear rim lock too.

Can't tell the difference on my Track Masters either. :)

I've had about 12 sets of tires on my DR650 and never balanced them and never had a balance issue. When I bought my dual sported WR it came with balance weights on the front wheel and I could not keep them on the spokes due to the jumps and whoops anyway. the stick-on ones came off in the woods anyway, so I gave up.

I run a rim lock on the rear of my DR but I dont; think you have to balance rear tires anyway.

I'd put the tires on and ride. If they hop, I'd balance them.

Absolutely the tires must be balanced, especially if you are running single rimlocks on each tire. For lower speed trail riding it may not be mandatory but for higher speeds and for pavement, wheel balancing is essential.

Well, after reading that so many people don't balance their tires even with rim locks, I might try not balancing my next set of tires. I've always balanced my tires in the past, but this is my first dirtbike. I wonder if an un-balanced tire wears out faster.

Ive never balanced mine and ridden as fast as my bike will go with no problems, I change my own tires and refuse to pay someone to balance them for me, of course Im running new rubber every 3 months or so and dont ride a whole lot of pavement.

It only takes a couple of minutes to balance your new tires in your garage with the wheel off the bike with the aid of a pair of jack stands, the axle installed in the wheel and gravity. Remember that with a single rimlock that the tire will be about 4 oz out of balance, which is a lot and will lead to wobble, shimmy, instability and even wheel hop at very high speeds on hard surfaces. Even in high speed dirt riding you will noticed the increased smoothness.

I have never experienced anything even remotely resembling what you describe despite regular 75mph expressway commutes. The DOT knobbies I run don't feel like a street bike, but they have never wobbled, hopped or shown any instability either.

I have pretty much stayed with MT-21's over the last 10 years or so. Now I have just started on a set of Maxxis 6006's. I also used Terraflex and IRC sometime back in the '80's. I even ran Cheng Shin knobbies back when I was a starving night school student in the '70's. And I have never experienced any of the above symptoms.

I have not ballanced my tires, but I need to balance the front. With two rimlocks on the rear of my WR, they for the most part balance themselves. But the front, only having one, hops at about 30-35mph. I don't get the hop going slow, and I can't detect it going 60, but it is most pronounced at 30-35 mph.

What tire pressures do street riders use with their street tires? Above 20PSI?

At 14-15 PSi for dirt tires, the tire sinks into the road more, possibly reducing /eliminating the need to balance. And what about suspension setup (preload/compression and rebound damping)? How about front/rear weight

bias? And a steering damper? All are probably factors.