Sign in to follow this  

Extra "steel disk" in Clutch

I have read that this a trick that is used from time to time.

Are you doing this on a new pack or a used pack?

I assembled a new pack and find that when you add that extra steel in the middle the outer fiber against the pressure plate is 20-30% outside of the outer baskets fingers.

When I adjust the clutch lever and pull it the outer fiber is only hitting the basket by a hair (maybe two). Well over half the disk is sticking out past the fingers. I don't see how this will last very long....

I will try to burn/seat the clutch in tonight then recheck, I may just wait and save that trick for use once we get some hours on the clutch.

Are you guys replacing an aluminum and putting in a steel one to replace it or actually adding another steel plate to make more clutch plates in it? Whats the advantage of adding the steel plate other than it lasting longer?

adding another steel plate in the middle of the pack to preload the springs more, this gives more holding power to the clutch in theory.

Are you guys replacing an aluminum and putting in a steel one to replace it or actually adding another steel plate to make more clutch plates in it? Whats the advantage of adding the steel plate other than it lasting longer?

BTW, the plates are already steel, not aluminum.

Hmmm thats news to me. I thought all but two where aluminum. So does the clutch work better by adding another plate? I replaced my stock springs with cr250 springs.

Seems to me the clutch springs, even the HD ones like PC have are still a tad light but I am sure this is for an easy clutch pull.

Here is what happened to my setup with an Extra steel and all clutch parts being new. Not the best image as it was done with my camera phone at lunch.

clutch.gif

I am not sure the fiber will not spin.

I guess I will search out some killer springs and add a magura unit...

That doesn't look right, I wouldn't run it like that.

I can't comment on adding the plate because I haven't done it personally, but if that's what it does I wouldn't do it.

I second that one Throttle. If that was my bike I would not run it like that. I would have to say it would take no time at all for that plate to chip away the edge of your basket. Mike Gosselar wouldn't let Ricky on the track with something like that. I doubt you would want it on your bike too. IMO

You know that the X and the R clutches are different right?

The x has a Judder plate that acts like a spring and has only half the contact area.

You know that the X and the R clutches are different right?

The x has a Judder plate that acts like a spring and has only half the contact area.

I have the Judder plate and the half disk at the house. I'll mic it up. I will guess that the R pressure plate and basket are different. Hinson I think are the same but I can double check.

MY OEM "R" mdoel clutch basket, with in spec steel plates and brand new OEM fiber plates, works perfectly with the extra steel plate. :) No hanging over the edge at all. I would guess then that the X model judder plate is indeed part of the problem....

Ok

That pic I posted is with the clutch pulled in. With the lever released the last fiber still is 30% past the outer basket :)

I do not have the Judder plate in there. But it meaures the same as a regular disc when compressed, the 1/2 fiber is the same thickness as all the fibers.. 7 Steels and 8 Fibers are in there .

Curious as to the R model Fiber and Steel thickness' compared to the X.

Different honda part numbers for the fibers, The Center hub for the X is listed at a different part number but it is serviced with the 22120KSC670 which is an R part, the pressure plate 22351KZ4A90 is the same R and X.

The new pack is .021" thicker than my worn one. The Steels are .0505-.0515.

I used that extra steel trick in our TM once the fibers had burnt in. I then used some preload washers on the springs instead since the 2 steel plates would some times warp under abuse.

Heavier springs will make the pul a little harder...but unless your a 4 year old, it's not bad...about the same as the Yamaha 250, which has a strong clutch.

If it's still too hard to pull, you can cut the lower arm and add in 5 mm's...which is what a lot of hop up shops have been doing .

Well I got my Hinson clutch basket yesterday and my clutch tool will be here tomorrow. If all goes well, I'll be riding on Saturday. I do have a couple of questions however.

1) Apparently, in order to seat the kick starter gear in the basket, I have to put the gear in the freezer for at least 15 minutes and put the clutch basket in a 400 degree oven for 10 minutes?? Has anyone had any problems getting the gear in the basket?

2) Once I pull the 27mm nut off the inner hub, will everything just sort of slide out?

Also, I'm going to put an extra steel plate in there as some have suggested. Can I just put it in the middle somewhere? Basically, it will be right next to another steel plate? I guess I'm just trying to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Thanks in advance.

1 . never done that type, sorry

2. Yep, it will all come out. watch the order of washers and bearings to put them back in the right way.

If you try the Extra disk just make sure the final fiber does not stick out past the inner hub or outer basket (fingers) see my photo of mine that did not work out to well.

Do you have an X or an R ?

1 . never done that type, sorry

2. Yep, it will all come out. watch the order of washers and bearings to put them back in the right way.

If you try the Extra disk just make sure the final fiber does not stick out past the inner hub or outer basket (fingers) see my photo of mine that did not work out to well.

Do you have an X or an R ?

I have an '04 R. This will be my first clutch job ever so I wasn't really pleased about having to do the basket as well.

Thanks for the advice.