Sign in to follow this  

safety wire

If you will stop by the closest airport and talk to an a&p mechanic, you can bum enough for several grip changes....and the size will most likely be .032 stainless. Or buy a roll and have enough for a lifetime of grip-swapping. :)

Locally, I would recommend an aircraft or racer supply store.

Like Railroader said, .032 is the most common, followed by .025 diameter. I personally like .025 for grips - smaller pigtails to bend over and bury in your grip. :)

Racer supply places also sell the fixtures to drill your own safety wire holes in those fasteners you might want to keep saftied in place - a lot of aircraft fasteners come with safety wire holes in them.

If you use enough of it, find a place to get a 1 pound spool/can of the stuff - 125's link to get 50 feet for $6.95 is pretty expensive - you can get 7 times as much for about twice the price here - a 1 lb. spool of .032 is a bit over 350 feet, and .025 is like 700 ft. per lb. (dunno what the shipping will run you though).

A good pair of safety wire pliers is another matter - like the old saying goes, you get what you pay for...

As an aircraft mechanic in the military we were forbidden from using the safetywire pliers. They didn't provide the even twists necessary to do the job right. I got 4 or 5 pounds of different diameter stainless safety wire off ebay for around 8 bucks plus shipping.

As an aircraft mechanic in the military we were forbidden from using the safetywire pliers. They didn't provide the even twists necessary to do the job right.

The problem with safety wire pliers isn't 'even' twists, it's that most people don't know when to stop.

10 twists per inch is the standard - anything more than that and the safety wire gets 'work hardened' and is susceptible to breakage while in service.