Hardwire GPS into e model?

I just picked up a Etrex Legend and RAM mount, now I am looking for a solution to hardwire it into my bikes battery. I am open to any and all options/solutions and please make it dummy proof as wiring is not my forte.

You have to get the external battery source from cycoactive. It uses "C" cell batteries. I had the Legend and it doesn't run on 12 volts.

Gotta luv GPS....

IMHO why not just run it on the AA's. Put in a new set before you leave and you're golden for the day (at least that's the case w/ my Map76c). Seems alot easier...

I used a cigarette lighter adapter. I took out the odometer and put the plug where it was. It fit perfectly. You just run the two wires back to the battery, put a fuse in and your good to go. I also use a rubber band to hold the plug in the socket. I do kind of a figure 8 around the plug and the socket bracket. I haven't had it vibrate loose one time. If I forget to rubber band it, it takes just a few minutes to vibrate out, and my GPS looses power. Its really a nice way to go. I haven't put new batterys in my GPS since I did mine a few months ago. Before I had to carry extras for every ride.

You have to get the external battery source from cycloactive. It uses "C" cell batteries. I had the Legend and it doesn't run on 12 volts.

The Garmin cigarette lighter adapter has the voltage regulator built right in. Its simple and you can ride with the light on on your gps all night, and not worry about batteries.

IMHO why not just run it on the AA's.

vibration and the AA don't mix.

The Garmin cigarette lighter adapter has the voltage regulator built right in

That's seems to be the way to go. They didn't have that when I had mine.

Batteries. You should use tape or other method so the batteries don't rotate or move.

Voltage adapter. The cigarette plug adapter works or you can go 1 step further and take the voltage adapter out of the plug and make your own adapter cable that connects directly to the batt and GPS. Somebody may make one like that but I have not seen it yet. Check with Cycoactive.

According to the manual it jsut takes 3v in.

Dont wreck a good car adapter, i could design you a VERY cheap and simple voltage regulator circuit which you could wire right to the battery. All you'd need is to wrig something up with whatever connector the GPS needs.

PM me or email me at anethema@gmail.com if you want me to help you out.

This goes for anyone that needs a regulator or some electronics help (i'm a studying electrical engineer).

vibration and the AA don't mix.

The problem is micro sparks as the batteries gap. If you wish to run with batteries, just use dielectric grease on the terminals. If necessary, you can also join the batteries using some JB or solder.

I use a cigar lighter zip tied the my bars, and wired through a fusible link. I just wrap a piece of duct tape around it to hold the plug in the socket. Added benefit, the tape keeps water out of the socket. Did the same on my V-Strom.

I was going to remove the lighter plug from GPS adapter and replace with a 2 prong connector, but thinks it's easy and more conveniant the way it is. I can move the GPS to any vehicle and still use the cigarette lighter.

I dismantled the GARMIN adapter and hardwired the power wires to it. 12 Volt wire directly from the batterhy with the fuse as close as possible to the battery you don't want the wire shorting out under your fuel tank that could get ugly.

The problem is micro sparks as the batteries gap. If you wish to run with batteries, just use dielectric grease on the terminals

I did all the tricks. The best solution IMO was the external batteries. Now I have a Garmin V hardwired to the bike. :)