Randsburg - Where to ride & camp?

We usually ride at Dove Springs / Jawbone. :) :) We're looking for something different, but still close to home. Can anyone recommend where to camp near Randsburg? We're looking for the same type of open camping and open riding we get at Dove Springs, but want to be close enough to take the kids on a ride into Randsburg.

We also have some quad friends who might be joining us. Are the trails mostly narrow or are there some spots where our four-wheeled friends could ride too?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Bump...

It's all wide open desert. I see people dirt camping in all different areas, none of them anymore inviting looking then the other. Randsburg is nothing like Dove Springs as you have to ride on cut trails. It's big advantage is the peace and quiet, at least compared to the outlaw style of riding done at Dove Springs. Dove Springs always looks to me like a scene from the movie "Road Warrior". I keep thinking that the messed up guy with the Mohawk might come from around a corner and attack me. :)

Good Luck!

Dove Springs always looks to me like a scene from the movie "Road Warrior". I keep thinking that the messed up guy with the Mohawk might come from around a corner and attack me. :)

Good Luck!

So you've seen me out there riding in my seatless chaps? :)

So you've seen me out there riding in my seatless chaps? :)

:)

I had better not see any dudes out there in such attire. Would scar me for life, and I'd have to move out of state to feel safe again.

Red mountain is only 15 minutes past the city of red mountain on the 395..

Turn right on the first hwy past red mountain....Don't know the amount of miles but about 10-15 miles there is a dirt road to the right...You know you've gone to far if you cross RR tracks before the dirt road.... :)

My trailbike club (TBSA) will be staying at an excellent location for camping near Randsburg this weekend. Most of us will be coming from the Sacramento area. Going North on Hwy 14 turn right on Randsburg Rd (One mile past Jawbone Canyon) and proceed 12 miles, turn left onto Garlock Rd. and go another 8.3 miles to Hwy 395. Turn left on 395 and go North for 3.1 miles; then turn right on Searles Station Rd. (sign reads - "Trona 28 miles"). After 1.3 miles, cross railroad tracks, and immediately turn right onto dirt road. Go about 100 yds and turn left onto dirt road. Proceed about 0.7 miles or so for the camp on the left. All the riding from this location is excellent and basically wide open. Riding conditions should be excellent if the current storm passes through by then.

Listen to Chas, It's a good spot and easy to find, You can ride Randsburg, Wagon Wheel, Garlock, Jawbone, and lots of other place for there!!!

The first think I recommend, is to get the Friends of Jawbone map, which covers the camping sites and the trails around Randsburg. You can get this map from the Miners Union right in downtown Randsburg. You can camp at camp A right off of hwy 395 on Randsburg Mojave Rd. (unpaved), or camp B also off of hwy 395 on Twenty Mule Team PKWY (mostly paved).

I personally love the area, I was there this past weekend and took some pixs which I posted on my website, you are welcome to visit and view Randsburg 1st & 2ed Rides

That will take you to the main page, then click on the Randsburg&Red Mountain 1st, or 2ed ride to view pixs (2ed ride being this past weekend!)

If you're gonna be there for a couple of days, I recommend that you visit the Husky Monument (30 miles easterly desert run from Randsburg) Also pointed in the map and I do have pixs on my site for the Husky monument.

The region had its fair share of rain (nothing like it in 20 years) and more rain is on the way...some areas are quite muddy...but still the traction is awesome! The pixs will tell the story.

Later,

Sam :)

The old Husky is at N 35 deg 12.952' ; W 117 deg 19.051' if ya gotta GPS. Or if you gotta map its about 1 mile south of the south exit of the Grass Valley Wilderness corridor.....I'd post a pic if I knew how.

The old Husky is at N 35 deg 12.952' ; W 117 deg 19.051' if ya gotta GPS. Or if you gotta map its about 1 mile south of the south exit of the Grass Valley Wilderness corridor.....I'd post a pic if I knew how.

Here are a bunch of pixs of: The HUSKY MONUMENT :)

Great pics everyone. Thanks for the tips.