Sign in to follow this  

Friend's DRZ400e dead.

My buddy let his DRZ400e sit for months without starting. Did not drain gas. Now it will crank but won't start. Anybody know what needs to be done to get it going again? :)

Cleaning the carb and replacing all of the fuel would be a good start. Gas goes bad pretty quickly, and the carb is probably laquered up some.

Was it sitting in a garage or outdoors? If the former, then you should be able to drain the tank (take it off, empty it, and then rinse it with fresh gas, put it back on) - make sure you dispose of the gas "properly." Then pull the plug out of the bottom of the carb to get the old gas out of there. Put some gas in the tank, and let some run through the petcock to get any crap out of the float needle. Put the plug back in. Turn on the gas and try to start it. If it works, great!

If not, pull the tank again, clean all the dirt off the valve cover, then pull the spark plug. Crank the engine over a couple times with a new spark plug and make sure it's getting spark (ground the plug) and then put the plug back in. Try again. If that doesn't work, you'll likely have to pull the carb off and do a real clean-out on it.

If stored outdoors, empty the tank, drain the carb and go straight to pulling the plug. Make sure there is no water in the engine. I'd recommend changing the oil too.

Yeah I'd be willing to bet its the carb beeing plugged from bad gas.

Clean or replace the main/pilot (probly the pilot causing troubles), clean out the whole carb with cleaner, rinse the gas tank with fresh gas as mentioned above, then try again, bet she'll fire right up.

Tell your friend next time to get something called Sta-bil. Its a fuel stabilizer that will prevent these problems in the future. Have him fill the tank right to the top of the rim with the stabilized fuel and run the bike for a few mins on it to get it thru the carb. He should be good (at least in the fuel system) to let it sit for 1-2 years even.

Post 1st, but i feel i can help here...

I dont feel that stripping the carb etc is needed.

My brothers 50cc scooter, had been sitting for 6 months, he decided he wanted to sell it at last. (lazy f*****) He left it upto me to get it going, 1st thing i did was to change the spark plug, i then cranked it over a few times (kickstart). I then put around 10ml of petrol down the Spark Plug hole (from the still full tank not new!), slowly turned it over once, then kicked it fast and smooth, and it got going, was very smokey, but after a 30 min thrash it is now running perfectly.

I have a friend who works with all kinds of large engined machinery, and they have got engines that havent been used for years going just by replacing the plugs and a bit of petrol down the hole.

Hope this helps.

Chris

If this works then you're good to go, much less work :)

If its the pilot jet is plugged all the fuel down the plug hole wont help you :)

Post 1st, but i feel i can help here...

I dont feel that stripping the carb etc is needed.

My brothers 50cc scooter, had been sitting for 6 months, he decided he wanted to sell it at last. (lazy f*****) He left it upto me to get it going, 1st thing i did was to change the spark plug, i then cranked it over a few times (kickstart). I then put around 10ml of petrol down the Spark Plug hole (from the still full tank not new!), slowly turned it over once, then kicked it fast and smooth, and it got going, was very smokey, but after a 30 min thrash it is now running perfectly.

I have a friend who works with all kinds of large engined machinery, and they have got engines that havent been used for years going just by replacing the plugs and a bit of petrol down the hole.

Hope this helps.

Chris

If this works then you're good to go, much less work :)

If its the pilot jet is plugged all the fuel down the plug hole wont help you :)

Indeed.

Let us know what happens.

After replacing his dead battery and fully charging the new one. It started. Runs like he11. Needs fresh fuel and plug.

i think what ur friend must do first is empty the gas and oil the refill the oil and gas tanks but when he refills his quad let it sit for a little while then start it up