Sign in to follow this  

extra fuel tank for DRZ long rides

I've been searching around for a reasonable one gallon fuel can to strap on the back of my "S", for those long rides to Death Valley and points north. The biggest MSR type bottle is about a quart. Who needs four those chanking around. Whatathink about plastic go-kart tanks? Here's a plastic 5 liter G-man tank, cost about $20. I assume the cap is vented and that has to be fixed. and there's a outlet hole needs to be plugged. Seems like a gallon could be carried with plenty of expansion room. I'd carry it in a padded bag on my rack. has a nice shape

www.tsracing.com/store/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Product_ID=4634&CATID=23

Interesting, I suppose you can just not plumb it and use it as a carry can. A little big and permanant for what I had in mind. Probably cost some $$$.

Many people that I've known over the years who rode the "Cabo 1000" used similar tanks to the one you've suggested. On added bonus in using an auto or marine auxilliary tank, is that your wallet isn't hit nearly as hard as when buying moto specific. :)

The Acerbis REAR AUXILIARY TANK is about $100. The front 0.8 gallon is about $80. Can't have a headlight with that one.

I'm just looking for an extra 40-50 miles. A hundred mile range just doesn't quite cut it out here for adventure rides to Death Valley or into Nevada. and I don't really want to put a larger tank on the bike. 90 percent of the time I won't be taking it.

Honestly, I don't think you'll be able to beat the price and value of the aux tank you found. Additionally, it would be quite simple to mount up with straps and netting to either Slick Rick's, or the ProMoto Billet rack.

When you're done with your Death Valley ride, simply remove the extra tank and hose line and you're left with a fully functionally rack, perfect for all riding occaisions :)

I've been searching around for a reasonable one gallon fuel can to strap on the back of my "S", for those long rides to Death Valley and points north. The biggest MSR type bottle is about a quart. Who needs four those chanking around. Whatathink about plastic go-kart tanks? Here's a plastic 5 liter G-man tank, cost about $20. I assume the cap is vented and that has to be fixed. and there's a outlet hole needs to be plugged. Seems like a gallon could be carried with plenty of expansion room. I'd carry it in a padded bag on my rack. has a nice shape

www.tsracing.com/store/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Product_ID=4634&CATID=23

I saw some KTM guys out at the Husky Monument with aux tanks two weeks ago. They each had an anti-freeze bottle full of gas strapped to their backs! :p Cheap and functional. :)

I have a Clarke 3.9 on my 400S. I can ride from Lancaster to Hi-Vista, Shadow Mtns, El Mirage and back on 1 tank. 180 mile loop. 70% dirt, 30% road. :)

Ultimately I may get a large gas tank but for now a jug on the rack will do. I want to see the larger bike tanks on a bike, in person, I'm not in a rush. Now then, I will not ride on highways or trails with a gallon of gasoline on my back! I suppose one of those antifreeze jugs is good enough for what I have in mind though. Do you think the plastic will stand up to the witches brew that passes for gas in California? :)

Lancaster eh? I'm just up the road near Inyokern.

I'm looking for a rear tank but currently use a desert canteen. I have one that holds 1 gallon and one that holds 2.5 gallons. Small one cost 6 bucks, large one cost 10 bucks. Sometimes I wear them using the strap and sometimes strap them down to my rear rack. I got 'em at a sporting goods store but have seen them at Wal Mart too. They work well and have held up alright, I'm just looking for a more permanent solution without having to get a bigger main tank.

You really should get the Clarke 3.9 gallon tank and be done with it.

I don't hit reserve now until 160-170 miles. I bought a couple of these

MSR 33oz bottles to throw in a rear bag or backpack if I ever need 20-25 extra miles.

http://www.msrcorp.com/stoves/bottles.asp

Ultimately I may get a large gas tank but for now a jug on the rack will do. I want to see the larger bike tanks on a bike, in person, I'm not in a rush. Now then, I will not ride on highways or trails with a gallon of gasoline on my back! I suppose one of those antifreeze jugs is good enough for what I have in mind though. Do you think the plastic will stand up to the witches brew that passes for gas in California? :)

I'm looking for a rear tank but currently use a desert canteen. I have one that holds 1 gallon and one that holds 2.5 gallons. Small one cost 6 bucks, large one cost 10 bucks. Sometimes I wear them using the strap and sometimes strap them down to my rear rack. I got 'em at a sporting goods store but have seen them at Wal Mart too. They work well and have held up alright, I'm just looking for a more permanent solution without having to get a bigger main tank.

You WEAR a containers with 2.5 & 1 gal of gas dirt riding? I'm not picking any fights with you!

Does seem a bit risky...doesn't it. A un-vented container getting hot and shook up. Extremely volitle in that situation.

As mentioned before don't go with the Acerbis front aux tank. It does not fit with the speedo and it would be even more difficult with a front light, I know I tried and wasted $90 in the process :)

You WEAR a containers with 2.5 & 1 gal of gas dirt riding? I'm not picking any fights with you!

Not both, just one or the other depending on how far I'm going. I filled 'em both up, threw them in the back of the truck one sunny summer day and went for a LONG ride in the dez. Just to test 'em out for leaks, explosions, etc before I used 'em. They've held up fine so far. Others have mentioned using oil bottles, laundry detergent bottles, etc. How would any other kind of plastic bottle be better? These canteens are plastic, tin wrapped around the edges and fabric glued to the flat sides.

I think Baja design's carries a 1 gal. tank that replaces your left # plate and dos'nt bulge any farther than your right # plate.

Yep in Lancaster, Private Message me if you want to do a Cal-City Randsburg or any ride out this way. You could check out my Clarke 3.9 (actual 4.0 gl). :)

Not both, just one or the other depending on how far I'm going. I filled 'em both up, threw them in the back of the truck one sunny summer day and went for a LONG ride in the dez. Just to test 'em out for leaks, explosions, etc before I used 'em. They've held up fine so far. Others have mentioned using oil bottles, laundry detergent bottles, etc. How would any other kind of plastic bottle be better? These canteens are plastic, tin wrapped around the edges and fabric glued to the flat sides.

I was thinking of you wearing 20 lbs worth of weight dirt in small liquid containers as being difficult. It was another poster who was concerned about safety and explosions. I agree with you that I can't see the diff between having a gal of gas in laundry container or an 'approved' gas container.

I just can't see wearing such a load.

I've never did it on this bike but on my old TT's I had I carried an extra 2 clorox bottles of premium many a time. I'll tell you what you want to empty them as equally as possible. It's a real pain in the back, legs, and upperbody doing it. It did allow me to ride many a long trail I never would have made on just the stock tank. It sure did make me appreciate when I got my big Clarke tank for any of the XT-TT500's I had. That big boy all the way filled would darn near let me ride across the whole state. prairiedawg :):p:)

The best bottles I have found to carry gas in are the 1 gallon Dello 400 oil bottles. Heavy duty and a handle in the right place to wear on a belt. I have carryed three at one time and had no problem with venting or cracking.

ON A BELT!!!! Like a bandolier! That's hard core.

"We don't need no sinkin gas stations" :)