Knee braces

It doesn't mater what brand they all work equally well or equally not so great. You can look on the Net for studies to back up this claim, there is no difference in injury occurrence among different brands. Custom made braces fared no different in tests than the other brands available.

I would go with Asterisk, for the price it's the best deal. With knee braces on it's highly unlikely in supermoto of getting hurt because the absence of ruts to pull out your ACL, therefore the inherent weakness in knee braces is minimized and the full safety of a large impact is all there.

I have had three knee surgeries, including two ACL reconstructions (an allograft and an autograft), a serious MCL tear, and a lot of meniscus damage, so I know wearing braces is good peace of mind. But according to my doctors now (vs the ones I had 10-15 years ago), it's a false sense of security. It offers no protection against the twisting injuries that typically cause ACL and meniscus damage. I just had my last ACL reconstruction less-than three months ago (by one of the best-known orthopedists in FL) and my doctor insists I should not wear a brace.

Most of what I have read that was written by medical professionals, agrees on this. Most of the raves I have heard about knee braces, whether it's the CTI (I had one), DonJoy (I had three), Asterix, EVS, or whatever, seem to be written based on anecdotal evidence and written by motojournalists, riders, or salesmen. I might be totally wrong, take it for what it's worth. That said, when I strain one of my knees, I will wear the brace for a while to protect it a little. It's more of a reminder to take it easy than anything else...

I have had three knee surgeries, including two ACL reconstructions (an allograft and an autograft), a serious MCL tear, and a lot of meniscus damage, so I know wearing braces is good peace of mind. But according to my doctors now (vs the ones I had 10-15 years ago), it's a false sense of security....snip....

Have to agree here. I'm a surgeon, and have a number of sportsmedicine friends, including one that races enduros.

If you need some help with courage, then the brace might help. From a mechanical standpoint, though, because of the size and length of the levers involved, you are better served keeping your quads and hamstrings extra strong through training rather then relying on braces.

I went 40 years without cruciates (football in the 60's), and also tried the CTI brace. Didn't do much for me besides irritate the skin.

If you can afford the brace, and it makes you feel better, get one. I'd think, though, that you would be better off making sure your thigh muscles are like steel by hitting the gym regularly!

later, docgonzo

hard to say if they help or not, if you crash while wearing a brace and there is no injury- we tend to think that it did it's job. If you crash with the brace and you DID get hurt, we tend to say that "it could have been worse", and so on.

hard to say if they help or not, if you crash while wearing a brace and there is no injury- we tend to think that it did it's job. If you crash with the brace and you DID get hurt, we tend to say that "it could have been worse", and so on.

Back in '88 I lost it and ran off the track and hit a tree stump. My knee was between the bike and the stump. Tore off my radiator shroud, crushed the righthand radiator and the expansion pipe (I was on my old KX500).

The pipe had been stamped by the outline of my knee brace and I had no injury. I was led to believe that my brace had done its job.

It's foolish not to wear them. They might not do squat for catching your foot in a rut (like I said ruts don't or rarely exist in supermoto) but for a straight down force like a bail off they have proved to absorb the brunt of the impact. I have done massive research on the subject and have witnessed the last 3 ACL operations Jr. had all injuries occurred with a different brand of knee brace on.

There was one time he had a get off while doing the big triple at an AX and fell from high up landing on his feet, the only damage was a sprained ankle, the knee brace was destroyed at the hinges but no damage to the knees. That situation the knee braces are very effective.

Since you are on a motorcycle and can't tell how if or when you will need them it is the smart thing to do in getting knee braces.

I low-sided at about 5 mph going into the first turn at the Vegas Kart track, and my knee went sideways under the bike. Complete tear and meniscus damage. I had a top-notch surgeon do the repair work, and I now wear Asteriks on both knees. My knee feels great, but it doesn't yet have it's full strength back.

While riding a couple months ago, I was trying a steep uphill, and when I ran out of steam my whole weight and much of my bikes weight came down on the leg with the bad knee. It felt to me like the brace helped keep my knee vertical under the extreme load. It felt like without the brace my knee would have buckled to the side (again).

I don't think the braces will help you in ALL situtations, but you're better of with them. Kinda like the old argument about the seatbelt keeping you in the car in the event of a car fire. Kind of a stupid argument.

I've also had ACL/MCL/Meniscus on both knees at different times. The injuries only occured when I wasn't wearing my knee braces. My doc prescribed CTi 2 braces for both legs. They were uncomfortable at first, but I got use to them after time. Now I don't even notice them. I've crashed with them plenty of times and haven't injured my knees. I for one, ride harder with my braces on... Psychologically or not, they help prevent serious injury. Particularly the painful, sidways bend that all to often injures the MCL. Choose your own adventure...

I was wearing Asterisks at an indoor minimoto event, riding my TTR125. I got tangled up with another rider, and put my foot down to keep from falling over. My heel caught, and jammed my knee, without noticable twisting. I tore my MCL, ACL and cartilage. I don't know if it would have been worse without the braces, but it wasn't great with them! ?

Surgery coming up in a few weeks, I think I'll miss a good part of the riding season this year. ?

Question for DOCGONZO, I also have injured both knees lately, which have healed approx. 90%, but I find that my mobility is way down. Can I expect to get that back, or will there always be something missing? Also, I had an adjustment w/ a chiropractor, and it seemed to really help cut down heal time, anyone else tried this?

I can't believe people are saying that knee braces are useless. I blew out my LCL and PCL which made my knee really unstable side to side when doing anything active. I have been in m,any incedents that if I had not had the brace on my knee would have been reinjured...gauranteed. I'm a firm believer of knee braces.

Good subject. I too have been considering knee braces after a recent injury. Sounds to me like a brace will protect in some but not all "situations".

However, some riders are misguided and think the brace will provide some level of protection in ALL circumstances.