Sign in to follow this  

EVS Vision knee braces?

Has anyone tried the EVS Vision knee braces out? I have seen the ad for them in magazines but dont know anyone who has them. I know that that the Asterisk cell's are great, but there also $300 more.

I asked this very same question on another board. I don't believe they have been released to the public yet. All I got was an advertisement on a magazine website. I think they are due to hit the market very soon though. I'm interested in them as well.

Latest MXA has a test on them. They said they were O.K., they fall somewhere between a knee brace and a knee guard. They did say the lack of protection on the shin portion was not ideal.

Personally I think if you are going to spend that kind of money you should bite the bullet and get a pair of Asterisk. My knee surgery in 1987 cost over 10,000 dollars and took a year to re-hab, you could triple that for today. Is $250 really that much when you look at the big picture (based on the fact you were already commiting $250 to the vision's)

I actually bought an EVS WEB, but was not very impressed with the fit, and sent it back. I will be looking into an Asterisk for my good knee (I have a CTI2 script for my reconstructed knee.)

I called EVS yesterday and they said the Vision brace in medium is available now and all other sizes will be available in 1-2 weeks.

Your right that $300 wont mean much if my knee gets blown out wearing an inferior brace. Sounds like you get what you pay for, so I'll buck up for the asterisk cells. thanx

I just blew my knee out Sunday, probably torn ACL. I'l lfind out tomorrow what exactly the problem is and if surgery is required. I sure wish I had laid out the cash for braces now. I'd gladly spend the cash compared to surgery and 6 months rehab.

Will insurance cover partial payment? I saw JohnnyOfast's comment about a CTI2 script, whats that all about?

On Oct 3rd we were riding at a place called Paragon located in PA. A friend was on his new Quad, 1st time riding it for over a year. He was going down a steep boulder infested hill. Super technical. Although he was going very slow, his Quad began to flip over sideways. He put is right foot out to save his Quad from rolling over. He planted his foot in between two stones forcing his foot in one fixed location. His whole body twisted. He ended up blowing out his ACL and tearing the cartilage. He not only missed a Aruba vacation but he missed over 8 weeks work.

The bottom line is anything is better than not wearing something. If all you can afford is the $250 go for it. We are before it's too late. Good luck. FastEddie956

The Vision looks a lot like a slightly slimmer RS-7 (EVS). I had RS-7's and found them big, bulky, restrictive, and uncomfortable. That was apart from the fact that my bad knee kept getting hurt in crashes. Probably not hurt as bad as if I had had no brace on it, but bad enough to give me a limp for a few days.

The Asterisk, was everything the RS-7 was not. The curvature of the upper and lower portions is user adjustable to match your leg, and there is an adjustable extension limit. They're so comfortable that I actually forgot I was wearing them the first day out. The best part? Not one day of knee pain since.

My Orthopedist said he couldn't have one built for any price that was that well made. If you need knee braces, forget everything else.

I have EVS, one for each leg. They are strong, and comfertable, but bulky. $350. each one. Maybe expensive but cheaper than an injury, which i have know with a broken and sprained left foot.

I had asterisks but had to return them because they didn't fit, or they would have been fine, cheaper than EVS. Every ones legs are different, try before you buy. I would have prefered Asterisk because of cost and they do the same thing as EVS's. I hope this will help, be safe

the vision's and the asterisk cell don't even appear to be in the same category. The vision's do not look like they would protect that great against hyperextension. Both my parents are doctors of chiropractic and write scripts for braces, and i wear asterisks. The cti2's i have aren't that comfortable for MX, they work better for running.

I've had a knee replaced, it's over 15,000 grand depending on where you have it done.....to me, 550$ for knee braces is a lot less along with the time you lose with surgery.

I just blew my knee out Sunday, probably torn ACL. I'l lfind out tomorrow what exactly the problem is and if surgery is required. I sure wish I had laid out the cash for braces now. I'd gladly spend the cash compared to surgery and 6 months rehab.

Will insurance cover partial payment? I saw JohnnyOfast's comment about a CTI2 script, whats that all about?

You do need a prescription for CTI2 braces, being that I had a full reconstruction it was a no brainer. Most Dr's will help as they are happy to have your insurance pay an exorbinant amount of money for the brace, they carry a very high mark up. My insurance paid for 80% of the cost of the one brace. They would not pay for one for my good knee and I have been riding with just one knee brace for almost 8 years. I have decided to quit pushing my luck and will purchase the Asterisk for my good knee. (I think the CTI2 was about $950 and that was 7 or 8 years ago.)

:)