Antigravity Batteries Giveaways: Winners Announced! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Spring Trail Ride at the Cove - Gore, VA.

Northern Virginia Trail Riders are hosting their annual Spring Trail Ride at the Cove in Gore VA, Sunday April 17, 2005. Sign-up opens at 7:30 am. Riders’ meeting at 9:30 am, and Start at 10:00 am.

The Trail Ride is open to all - come on out and have some fun! Lunch is provided by nvtr.

We've changed the event from a 'Match Trial' of previous years to a Poker Run this year - less complicated, more fun!

Details, Directions, Camping, Costs, etc. can be found at: http://www.nvtr.org/trailride/strmenu.html

-d

Hi Dave,

Sounds like fun! How does this compare to the areas that we rode at Tasker's Gap? And are you allowed to pre-ride the course? :)

Cheers,

Kristina

Hi Kristina! I haven't ridden the cove in about a year. I'm told the trails are in good condition. I've seen people compare it to TG a lot and I would agree - There are four loops I believe of varying length and difficulty if I remember correctly.

I'm guessing that if are able to make it out to TG for the work party you'll ride trails (the Blue loop) that are very similar to the cove, but I'll bet there are others on this forum that can speak about the trails better than I.

We don't get in there until the weekend before to scout out the loops & trails we'll use, and I'll be supporting the Race For Vision HS in Dahlgren that weekend, so I won't see the course before we ride it :-(

-d

Hey Kristina,

We have been out there a couple times and I like it. There are some rocks and a rock section but it isn't that bad. I have only been there four times and have gotten lost every time. You will have a blast there with your new bike. I am sure they will have the loops marked very well for this event. The times I have been there the trails are not marked very well but the riding is good. Some of the guys think it is too rocky but I think it is fine.

Later,

Ron

Well I guess word got out that we were going to change the format this year and some folks didn't like that idea, so we've decided to go forward with the Match Trial as in years past.

A Match Trial is where you run a loop on the course and log your time on that loop. Then make another loop and log your time again. The rider who comes closest to "Matching" their loop times is the winner! It doesn't matter how fast or slow you ride - just be consistent and crash in the same spot each lap. No time keeping equipment is allowed!

This is an AMA sanctioned event, so you'll need an AMA card. If you don't have one, you can sign up at the gate.

The Spring Trail Ride is held at the Cove in Gore, VA. NVTR leases the facility for the day, so it's only us there. Preregistration ends April 7. Signup form can be found at:NVTR Spring Trail Ride

I would love to make it, but leaving for vacation this weekend. Anymore rides like this in the future?? :)

I plan to come down and bring a few freinds from PA with me. Just need to get my bike repaired. This may be my first ride of 2005.

I think the time trial will be fun. The last HS I rode last year, my lap times were within a few minutes of each other from start to finish. And I didn't have time keeping for that either.

I read the sign up and it says no tags needed but the bike must be spark arrestor equipped and quiet.The SA I can do but is my Thunder Alley on the CRF450 gonna pass muster?I wanna do this ride but am not gonna buy a $500+ exhaust to do it.What are the standards?

Hey oldbuck!I could use some help here as I'm trying to make plans for that weekend.Will my Thunder Alley with a spark arrestor be kosher or should I stay home and ride?

I would love to make it, but leaving for vacation this weekend. Anymore rides like this in the future?? :naughty:

Our next big ride is the Green Marble Enduro on June 5, just a bit further west near deep creek lake. It's incredibly beautiful out there and some of the best 65 miles of single track you'll ride in this region (I think it's the *only* ride of it's kind in the region). So come on out, bring your watch, or just ride the event as a trail ride. We had a great time last year. Green Marble Enduro

I read the sign up and it says no tags needed but the bike must be spark arrestor equipped and quiet.The SA I can do but is my Thunder Alley on the CRF450 gonna pass muster?I wanna do this ride but am not gonna buy a $500+ exhaust to do it.What are the standards?

Hey T.Rex, sorry for the slo response - I'm not getting TT emails...must have something misconfigured...

I don't know the answer to your question but will ask the sound level gods...

-d

Hey folks, I've updated the Spring Trail Ride info on the nvtr web site . I've added the maps for the loops we'll be running (we may add a coupe more), as well as some pics and info from previous rides.

See you there!

-d

Hey oldbuck!I could use some help here as I'm trying to make plans for that weekend.Will my Thunder Alley with a spark arrestor be kosher or should I stay home and ride?

T.Rex, The officials have spoken - you will have no problem. The ride is entirely on private property. Apparently the requirement was a 'leftover' from when we previously held the event in the Nat'l forest.

oldbuck - The green marble ride looks like fun. Is it on public or private land? Can you ride there anytime? Anyplace to get more info on the area? I just got a DRZ and get up to Deep Creek once in a while. Just trying to scope out the riding areas up there.

Thanks.

CJ, It's all private land. My understanding is we lease it for the weekend. Don't know more than that - sorry!

-d

oldbick, do you need a tag for the green marble? And how far away is it from DC area.

It's a 3 hour drive for me - I'm near Quantico..

Yes, you need plates. Unfortunately not all the parcels of land we use are adjacent so we have to connect them by short road segments.

What kind of bike do you ride? (oops guess I could've looked at your sig - doh!) The inspections usually cover front & rear lights, sound, registration, & insurance. Here's some pics from a recent enduro to give you an idea how the riders equip their bikes.

I plated my 300exc & 200exc with no problem in VA.

How thoroughly do they inspect? Can I get by if I look the part? Can't get a YZ250F plated in PA.

I am planning on riding the Cove on the 17th; I can't wait.

How thoroughly do they inspect? Can I get by if I look the part? Can't get a YZ250F plated in PA.

I am planning on riding the Cove on the 17th; I can't wait.

I'm not the best person to answer that one - I'm sure there are lots of folks here that can provide details, or ask around on the 17th - there'll be lots of enduro types at the Spring Trail Ride.

Check here under 'Rider Information' for lots of great info on what you need to ride the enduro.

Thanks for the tip on the Enduro site. I think I'm going to go the Vermont route. I rode 2 enduro's last year and got by with lights and tags, but I'd hate to drive 2-3 hours and not be able to participate. I have several ECEA events picked out that I'd like to ride this year.