Sign in to follow this  

Cleaning the air filter technique

Hello

I was cleaning my air filter and wondered if I was doing it right. Here's my steps:

-remouve the filter from the air box

-remouve the rack from the filter

-take a big bowl and fill it with gas

-put the filter in the bowl and soake it in gas

-clean the aire box (taking care that nothing is going in the carb)

-wash and gentelly squeese the filter in the gas multiple time

-take another bowl with soapy water and clean the filter

-rince it with clean water

-remouve all the remaning dirt ''traces'' with the air compressor (while drying it)

-put new engine oil on the filter and squeese it to spred the oil

-replace the rack in the filter

-put vaseline all over the edge of the filter (the part that touch the metal in the air box)

-put every thing back on

remaque: I have a CRF230.

So, is there anything wrong?

Thank you :)

Cedric

after the gas has all disipated it is unnessary to clean it /w/ soap :)

Gasoline will clean the filter... however, after time the gasoline may cause the glues holding the filter together to come apart. I would recommend using an air filter cleaner such as K&N or PJ1 and then rinsing it with HOT water & soap. Afterwards, let it hang dry, then apply the filter oil. Most filter oils nowdays should work just fine around the seal as well - no need for grease or vasoline if you apply the filter oil to the seal also. I would not immediately place the filter back on after oil application either..... it needs time for the oil to drip and tack up.... once it has done that, replace and you will be in great shape!

Gasoline will clean the filter... however, after time the gasoline may cause the glues holding the filter together to come apart. I would recommend using an air filter cleaner such as K&N or PJ1 and then rinsing it with HOT water & soap. Afterwards, let it hang dry, then apply the filter oil. Most filter oils nowdays should work just fine around the seal as well - no need for grease or vasoline if you apply the filter oil to the seal also. I would not immediately place the filter back on after oil application either..... it needs time for the oil to drip and tack up.... once it has done that, replace and you will be in great shape!

I use the air compressor also to remouve the remaining dirt grains that I see but dont pop out with the gas. :)

I switched to the NoToil filter oil when I added a Uni filter. This stuff is great! Super tacky when its on the filter and cleans up with water. Just put 3" - 4" of water in the kitchen sink, dissolve the cleaner and in just a few minutes the filter is clean! No more cleaning with gasoline or mineral spirits. Some have said the alcohol in NoToil will degrade some glues used in filters but Uni says no problem with theirs.

Actually, water does not clean the filter oil. If it did, then it wouldnt be a filter oil, actually it wouldn't be a oil. The cleaner cleans the oil.

No-Toil does dissolve the glue on Uni's. It did twice to mine and No-Toil replaced both of them for free. They said it would and since there's nothing to let us know about it, they replaced it and sent me a no-toil free of charge.

I use No Toil also,It works great with my twin-air,air filter.having an air compressor to dry your filter helps out alot,becaus if you leave it outside to dry,itll get some dust and stuff on it,and if u leave it inside,my mom yells at me, :p , so an air compressor turns those 30 minutes of waiting for it to dry into 1 minute of it drying.I use the No Toil aerasol,which is alot easier to use than the regular oil too. :):)

To oil my filters after cleaning I use a heavy gear oil 70W or 90W. Works just as good if not better than the way-overly priced filter oil that is being praised.

J2

To oil my filters after cleaning I use a heavy gear oil 70W or 90W. Works just as good if not better than the way-overly priced filter oil that is being praised.

J2

It's the main reason why I use engine oil :)

Blowing it out w/an air compressor can also damage the inner element...... I don't know by experience, but that is what is listed on the cleaner ??? I just cleaned a few of my filters and let them hang to dry overnight. Cleaning filters has to be the worst thing about bike maintenance!!

250Thumper wrote:

No-Toil does dissolve the glue on Uni's.

Sorry 250Thumper, this is COMPLETE BUNK!!! :)

No-Toil does not harm Uni filters. I have been using the same one on my XR650R for the last 3 years and it gets cleaned EVERY RIDE!! No-Toil is good enough to be put in both Honda Pro-Oils and Kawasaki Oils bottles to be sold as OEM Biodegradable filter oil.

It may be a bit pricey, but I am willing to pay that price to not have to use stinky, flamable solvents like gas or mineral sprits.

It may be a bit pricey, but I am willing to pay that price to not have to use stinky, flamable solvents like gas or mineral sprits.

I dont have your budget. :)

Maybe my dad won't mind... :)

It's the main reason why I use engine oil :)

Is engine oil or that tranny oil tacky? No. Will it run off? Yes.

You need top use air filter oil because the tackyness traps the dirt. Have you guys ever bought a bottle. Put some on your hands and start rubbing your hands together. Now try to pull apart. See how stickey it is? Now try to wash it off. Good luck!

Now do the same thing with engine oil or tranny oil. Not tacky huh, just slipery. Runs off a lot more too huh? Now wash it off. Much easier!

Dont half ass your air filtering system. It's the only thing your bike can do from filtering out dirt and dust, and engine oil and tranny oil wont cut it.

It's not even that much. Just get a 1 gallon jug of No-Toil and it lasts a really long time. 29 bucks I spent 6 months ago and I'm only 1/4 iof the way done. Yeah, thats a total ripoff.

Big D, I'm just telling you guys what I have experienced and others have. Maybe you got lucky, but I treat the Uni's the same way I treat my No-Toils, with care.

Crazyced...

>> -wash and gentelly squeese the filter in the gas multiple time

-take another bowl with soapy water and clean the filter

-put new engine oil on the filter and squeese it to spred the oil <<

While you're swishing the filter around, submerged in the gas, all that dirt that it is being cleaned from the outside of the filter is getting into the inside of it too. I put enough gas or kerosene in the bottom of the bucket that I can put the filter on the bottom and the sealing surface is just out of the liquid. Then I gently swirl it around until the outside dirt and most of the old filter oil has been washed away. Toss that gas and then pour in some fresh stuff. Now you can rinse and squeeze the filter until it's completely clean, and then do the same with the soapy water and rinse with clean water. To get it started to dry, roll it up in a clean shop rag or towel and squeeze. After that it can be hung out to dry and be ready to reinstall in an hour or so.

As many people pointed out, don't use motor oil on the filter...you need something tacky that will trap and hold the dirt on the ouside surface. The motor oil will just make the tiniest particles nice and slick so they can work their way through the filter pores. No filter will keep 100% of the grit out, but you don't want to help any of it slide on through either! :)

I also agree with whoever said that cleaning air filters is the nastiest part of bike maintenance.

Cheers,

Mac

We use UNI air filters on our 230's and use their air filter spray cleaner and spray oil. Cleaning and oiling an air filter properly is one of the

more time consuming maintenance jobs, but IMHO, I think preparing the UNI for service is one of the easier jobs on a dirt bike. :)

OTOH, cleaning and oiling the drive chain, and adjusting the spokes is one of the more difficult maintenance jobs on a motorcycle! :)

It's all worth the time and effort though.

:p

*ting* *tang* *thud!!* :) !! Yeah Toast, I adjust my spokes.

To anyone that hasn't, you may be in for a big surprise when you finally do!

:)