Sign in to follow this  

Ever Been to Ocotillo (NOT Ocotillo Wells)?

Has anyone ever gone riding out at Ocotillo off of the 8 freeway (not to be confused with Ocotillo Wells)? I have a friend who says he like to go riding there because it is less crowded. What is the terrain like and what are the California red/green sticker regulations out there. I can't seem to find Ocotillo on the DMV list of OHV areas...so I am not sure if it they allow red-sticker bikes.

This is Plaster City. "Freeway close" to San Diego. Great place to ride, but expect rustic camping and no services. The area is patrolled by the BLM, and you rarely see them. In regards to the red / green sticker, same rules apply, but you have to have a death wish is you plan on riding there in the summer.

From there, you can ride out to Superstition Mountain.

Ocotillo is the little town at the bottom of the mountain heading east towards El Centro. When you exit, you go east about 4 miles to the staging areas on both sides of the dry wall plant. I don't know if there is legal riding right at the town of Ocotillo.

Plaster City to Ocotillo Wells (Blu Inn) is a fun ride. Right around 30 miles one way. Superstition is less than half that. The Painted Gorge is another fun ride to the west

Plaster City to Ocotillo Wells (Blu Inn) is a fun ride. Right around 30 miles one way. Superstition is less than half that. The Painted Gorge is another fun ride to the west

Yum yum, I want some? How is it that these places have been around forever and none of us have maps? Even if just little home made maps of some sort?? I think everyone here that has a fun spot they would like other Thumpertalk guys to check out, should pull a mapquest into MS paint and mark out the trails! Maybe then we could all be speaking the same language when we use trail names. :)

Supersition is really fun and never crowded. Good mix of sand dunes, trails, and washes.

Braaa shoot me an email and I'll send you an arial pic with gps tracks shown in red. Railroad tracks lead out of the plaster city plant and go all the way to ocotillo wells. You can use these as a reference and make you own way. Stay to the west somewhat near the tracks and avoid the quicksand!

bob

A common way to get out there is 8 E to Imperial Hwy exit. Turn left and go back under the freeway. This will dump you into "down town" Ocotillo. If you turn right on old Hwy 80 after going under the freeway it will take you past Painted Gorge, Plaster City West, the Plaster Plant(for which the area is named) and Plaster City East. It's definetly not as crowded as Ocotillo Wells and has a lot of good riding.

This seems to be one of San Diego's biggest off road secrets... maybe because it's so obvious. Yes, there is riding RIGHT OUT of the town of Ocotillo... to the east, and south east (under the 8 and to towards Mex). We (and many others) end our rides with a beer at Ocotillo's own Lazy Lizard. Buddies and I frequently park at the staging area (off at Ocotillo and proceed a couple miles east on the frontage rd parallel and just north of the 8). From there, we like to back track and take a wash which cuts underneath the rr tracks and then under the 8... after crossing under the 8 there is a dry lake bed we traverse, continuing to the south and se... we then hit a network of #'s trails which lead all directions, but we typically continue south, across the 98, s and sw, eventually hitting mexico. if ridden directly, we can be in mex in less than 20min. there are many trails between mexico and the 8 in this area, not including all the riding in the plaster city / superstition area that've already been mentioned. we've haven't seen many blm rangers, but the border partrol is everywhere, in the sky and ground.

When do you want to go?

Talk to the weather man, I'm ready NOW!! :)

P.S. The neighbors are still talking Ocotillo Wells for Sunday. :D Are you going out there?.....I just wanna ride every day!! :p

Fckin weather! :)

Yum yum, I want some? How is it that these places have been around forever and none of us have maps? Even if just little home made maps of some sort?? I think everyone here that has a fun spot they would like other Thumpertalk guys to check out, should pull a mapquest into MS paint and mark out the trails! Maybe then we could all be speaking the same language when we use trail names. :)

Last year I requested and received via mail a map of the area from the BLM office in El Centro. It is called the "WECO route of travel map", and WECO stands for "western Colorado" (the river, not the state). The map I have is produced by the El Centro office and has an issue date of 1-28-2004. It is one of those 3' square maps, and it is a bit beat up, so I really can't scan and post it. There is a reference number on the map: blm/ca/ma-2004-8300-001

The map lists the BLM routes as far east as the Imperial Sand dunes, west in Ocotillo, north to Ocotillo Wells (but not all trails there are listed, and the state trail map there is way way better), and also included Superstition Mountain.

The BLM office can be reached at 760-337-4400. Hopefully they will send out the map like they did to me last year. Thats why we pay taxes.

Last year I requested and received via mail a map of the area from the BLM office in El Centro. It is called the "WECO route of travel map", and WECO stands for "western Colorado" (the river, not the state). The map I have is produced by the El Centro office and has an issue date of 1-28-2004. It is one of those 3' square maps, and it is a bit beat up, so I really can't scan and post it. There is a reference number on the map: blm/ca/ma-2004-8300-001

The map lists the BLM routes as far east as the Imperial Sand dunes, west in Ocotillo, north to Ocotillo Wells (but not all trails there are listed, and the state trail map there is way way better), and also included Superstition Mountain.

The BLM office can be reached at 760-337-4400. Hopefully they will send out the map like they did to me last year. Thats why we pay taxes.

Ask, and you shall recieve! Thanks Soylent!! :)

Ask, and you shall recieve! Thanks Soylent!! :)

GRRRR. "The WECO maps wont be in until the end of March."

Good looking out, Soylent.

Talk to the weather man, I'm ready NOW!! :)

P.S. The neighbors are still talking Ocotillo Wells for Sunday. :) Are you going out there?.....I just wanna ride every day!! :D

Fckin weather! :p

I should be ready for Ocotillo Wells on Sunday. Let me know if your going to go. Hopefully it will rain right up til Saturday night. :D

I should be ready for Ocotillo Wells on Sunday. Let me know if your going to go. Hopefully it will rain right up til Saturday night. :)

Rain is the ONLY thing that could stop me. We are riding at the will of the sky my friend.

P.S. whoever is out there doing the rain dance, stop.....It's not funny anymore.

Does anyone know if it will be crowed this weekend at Holmes camp??

appreciate any help,,

Im trying to get the moho out there on saturday morning, but dont want to get there to a nowhere to park campground!!!!

i hear it's a three day weekend for school kids so plan on crowds. The upside is the Supercross in S.D. will thin out some of the crazy ones, they prefer to stomp around the stadium acting tough and adrenalined up...

Holmes camp is for geeks by the way. Do some real camping out away from others. I stay short of the Blu In, northwest of the wash in a flat area that has been dozed with a berm to keep out those noisy motorhomes. Just like the fire, no music, no generators. Try Happy Valley camp, go past the Blu In a few hundred yards and take the graded road up and over the hills. You will find a semi hilly area with bathrooms and little valleys to park in. Easy to get to Shell Reef from there, i take the no trail, open desert way. Makes for a nice slalom style run, no whoops.