Sign in to follow this  

What kind of welding?

What kind of welding is used t make exhaust pipes. How is it done and what is a good kit. I want to make some pipes. My dad says I need an indoor hobby and I was thinking that that would be a cool hobby. Any suggestions for other hobbies?

I know that this probably could've gone in off-topic, but since it is sort or related i put it here. Thanx :)

I would use TIG or if you feel like it Oxy-Acel. I guess you can MIG it but it's not as nice (depends on the welder, I guess). Stick would not be ideal.

Go take a welding class and find out yourself. Do all four if you can, that way you can find out for yourself. I would Oxy-Acel first that way you'll learn to control the puddle. Every thing else will come natural, well almost.

A good TIG machine would be Econotig (Miller), Syncrowave 175 (Lincoln), and the 180SD (Miller). There are lower quality ones, but I would at least consider these as the minimum for long term.

I would recommend electric before I go gas for welding. Transporting gas can be a pain and I'm not talking about the argon for TIG or MIG.

If you are going to use stainless then it will have to be tig welded. It is going to cost upwards of 1000$ to get a decent tig setup that will last more than a month. You can always look for a used unit. I see them in the recylcler all the time. There is also a publication for used machinery (ie manhine shop stuff, lathes, mills, welders) and you may want to check that out but I don't remember the name of the book. Maybe someone else will pipe in with it. If you go with an older hobart, miller or lincoln you will be pretty good to go. I picked up my miller synchrowave 250 complete for 1500$ used. They run a whole lot more than that new.

your going to need a tubing bender too. and tig is the way to go :) i have done all 4 and tig is not the easiest but it provides the best welds and most control.

Jyust because a metal is stainless steel doesnt mean it has to be welded with a tig welder. SS can be done with a Mig welder. Just make sure you get the correct wire, and a machine that can handle it. I think you need a machine that has a capability of shielding gas if you go with mig and stainless steel.

some mig welders dont require shielding gas they have the stuff built into the wire, hard to explain think a arc welding elecrtode.

I know that, but I don't think that SS welding wire can come with a shielding gas. I think the SS welding wire only comes in a solid wire.

When you are welding SS or Ti the only type of welding to even think about in the beginner stage is TIG. Many think that tig welding is harder to learn but I start many new employees out on a tig machine.

You can purchase an older 330 abp miller tig welder for less than $1,000. These models are plentiful, good learners and allmost indestructable. School is allways a good thing but you can find someone who can give you a few lessons every once in a while and pay attention to good workmanship and learn alot yourself.

Mig welding SS is very hard especially when welding thin tube with off the shelf mig welders. Some industrial models,which you can set more paramaters makes it a little easier.

When you see good quality welds that look miged on SS or TI it is usually robotically Plasma Tigged using a cold wire feeder for the filler wire.

Flux core mig welders are to be used in case of emergency only. Never purchase one of these welders. It would be much better to purchase a larger used machine.

your going to need a tubing bender too. and tig is the way to go :) i have done all 4 and tig is not the easiest but it provides the best welds and most control.

Dont forget how pretty that nice figure 8 looks when done correctly. :p:)

I strongly recomand a TIG machine. I got a Lincoln TIG Pro 175 for 1400$ new and it is great. The plus with a TIG set up that everyone has overlooked is that you will also be able to weld aluminum. Good luck with the pipes.

I've got the Lincoln Squarewave TIG 175. Great machine for any small fabricators garage. :) I bought this machine and a ton of scrap steel from the local metals shop and went to town. Practice Practice Practice. Practice on making/fixing stuff for your friends then make stuff for yourself. :p TIG is not hard to do. If you can learn to work the controls of an off-road motorcycle then you can learn to TIG weld. :)

I've got the Lincoln Squarewave TIG 175. Great machine for any small fabricators garage. :) I bought this machine and a ton of scrap steel from the local metals shop and went to town. Practice Practice Practice. Practice on making/fixing stuff for your friends then make stuff for yourself. :p TIG is not hard to do. If you can learn to work the controls of an off-road motorcycle then you can learn to TIG weld. :)

Need a job?? LOL

I manufacture over 1,200 sets of SS headers a year. Over 2,000 aluminum airfoil rudders. Plus many other parts.

95% of the welding we do is TIG (Heliarc)

When I get some time I will post some pics

Norman