Sign in to follow this  

Tires on TTR 125?

What are the best tires to put on the TTR 125L for pretty much all riding...hard, mud, and intermediate surfaces? Thanks for any help. :)

michlin starcross.. they work great in everything so far.. except for that playdoh clay crap.. but nothing works in that :) they are awesome for everything else though :)

I've been running the Dunlop 773's and am very happy with their performance all around. The Starcross MS2's chunked badly on my son's and neighbors XR100's so I've stayed away from them. The new MS3's or MH3's may be better. Michelin states a compound change to be more compatible with 4 stroke power delivery.

whats chunked badly mean :)
Pieces of knob breaking loose from the tread. Chunks of knob missing all over the tire.

Haven't tried the Dunlops, but I've been running Michelin Starcross MS-2's and have been decently happy with them, except in hardpack of course. Unfortunately, the knobs do tear off on some black diamond trails or hard packed mx tracks.

Someday I'll try the MH3's, when the weather dries up. And I'm interested in checking out the Dunlop 773's that lots of people talk about.

Antonio

i have kenda milvilles on my ttr and they work great but i have maxxis it's on my yz85 and love them to i would recomend both tires

i have heard that bridgestones hook up but i still have the stock tires-they hook up allrite but its all up to u :):p:)

Tubo Quote:

Originally Posted by ttr125lerider

whats chunked badly mean

Pieces of knob breaking loose from the tread. Chunks of knob missing all over the tire.

ahh.. ok.. well i have the starcross 3 and i havnt noticed any chunking or cracking yet.. i just rode in the snow for about 2 hrs, and they hooked up beautifully. i was pretty much going up any hill now then i was when its dry.

I have the MS-2S on my bike. I yet used them though. All I have done is looked at them. :)

But they are perfect for where I ride.

Very soft terrain that is.

i am currently running dunlop 756 on my ttr 125 they are my favorite for all around plus they are cheep and long lasting
I just put a 756 on my son's KLX300. When we stop, it's packed full of mud like a slick and the 773's and S12's are not. I wouldn't run a 756 if it is at all muddy out.

Think about the comments listed.

MS2 chunking badly possibly on Hardpack?

Dunlop 756 filling with mud?

These are soft to intermediate tires, They will not work well in really soft mud or Hard conditions. As far as the 756's filling with mud, you weren't spinning them with enough force for them to clear. They must have centrifugal force to be able to fling the mud. If you just putt them around any tire will fill.

We use those tires around here almost exclusively and they are hard to beat in their appropriate conditions. My 450 has MS2's and will wheelie coming out of turns in the soft to mud it get's so much traction. The Dunlops are the same way.

Whatever you do, get rid of the stock IRC's as fast as you can, they are terrible.

Think about the comments listed.

MS2 chunking badly possibly on Hardpack?

Dunlop 756 filling with mud?

These are soft to intermediate tires, They will not work well in really soft mud or Hard conditions. As far as the 756's filling with mud, you weren't spinning them with enough force for them to clear. They must have centrifugal force to be able to fling the mud. If you just putt them around any tire will fill.

We use those tires around here almost exclusively and they are hard to beat in their appropriate conditions. My 450 has MS2's and will wheelie coming out of turns in the soft to mud it get's so much traction. The Dunlops are the same way.

Whatever you do, get rid of the stock IRC's as fast as you can, they are terrible.

MS2's chunked on a combination of mud, hardpack, gravel roads, and soft loamy trails. I spoke to the Micheline rep and he stated the MS2 compound has been improved to wear better and prevent chunking on 4strokes and is now called the MS3. 756 fills with mud every time you slow down. Correct tire for correct conditions is great but when you are on a budget and need one tire to fill multiple roles the MS2 and 756 IMHO are not the best choices.

Thats funny because I found my ms2 tire wore awsome.. but my 756 wore like crap.

Thats funny because I found my ms2 tire wore awsome.. but my 756 wore like crap.

I come from the world of Stock Car racing, I've seen fist fights and even inter-family strife caused by nothing more than the topic of tire selection! LOL!!

:D

Hell, we just went through the creation of an entirely new promoter's association based upon nothing more than tires. LOL!!

HB