Rhino Rally

Is anyone going down next week for the RR?

I've never done it before...any info on the course, distance, etc? I've ridden some cool terrain down there but also some whooped out nastiness (think Knolls). All feedback is welcome.

-Phil

Is anyone going down next week for the RR?

I've never done it before...any info on the course, distance, etc? I've ridden some cool terrain down there but also some whooped out nastiness (think Knolls). All feedback is welcome.

-Phil

I'm going. The race is great! 1 - 50 mile loop for the novice, out-of-shape, old farts :p makes it an enjoyable race. The second loop is usually about 25-30 miles and more difficult (so I hear).

The course depends on the weather. They have to have an alternate course in case there might be too much rain (happened last year).

Usually, you get all kinds of terrain, lots of washes, rocky trails, some whoops. Sometimes the second loop goes over the "back breakers", about 12 miles of deep, soft sandy whoops. :) . The course covers most of the area south of sand hollow in the Warner Valley / Fort Pierce area and south. Some on private property. Nothing real technical, although I've seen some novices get stuck on some very easy hills. :)

Last year was too wet, so they sent us up around Sand Hollow and thru the back breakers. It wasn't a popular course. We might see that course again this year if it rains hard just before the race.

I really need to try this. It seems to be one of the best desert like races for new guys like me. What are the dates?

mx

The race is the last weekend in February. I'm going down and my son will be doing his first desert race on his 65. He's totally excited and so am I. It's not likely that I'll race (too nervous for my son), but I've done the Rhino Rally once (back in 2001) in the same area and had a great time.

I really need to try this. It seems to be one of the best desert like races for new guys like me. What are the dates?

mx

Saturday Feb. 26. I believe the race starts at noon. The BLM is restricting the number of big bike entries to 300. Waiting until the day of the race to register may be too late.

Go to http://raceusra.com for more information and contacts.

Thanks for the info. We'll se if I can get setup in time.

mx

Bwahahaha.....

The BACK BREAKERS. I love that section. I especially love the looks I get from people when I wax their young butts on my ol' '70s junk.

I live near SG and we practice out there quite a bit.

Eric,

You still going to the RR? Let's meet up down there.

-Phil

Phil - I'll be there. White dodge pulling a 17' vnose haulmark enclosed trailer. Might be raining. Could get interesting. Didn't make it last you, but I heard it was a massive mud bog. Bring a jacket.

QUESTION: I hear it was cancelled?? My wife received a call that it was. Anyone know for sure??

Phil - I'll be there. White dodge pulling a 17' vnose haulmark enclosed trailer. Might be raining. Could get interesting. Didn't make it last you, but I heard it was a massive mud bog. Bring a jacket.

Bad news. I just heard that the race has been canceled due to the amount of rain recently. SUWA is complaining that it will tear it up too much, but the BLM will let them reschedule at some point.

Just heard the same thing. Cancelled. Guess I'll be riding the knolls or 5 mile pass or something to get this out of my system. Think I'm gonna cry.

Just heard the same thing. Cancelled. Guess I'll be riding the knolls or 5 mile pass or something to get this out of my system. Think I'm gonna cry.

I'm crying too....and I wasn't even going to race, but 2 of my boys were. Maybe the weather will hold out enough up here I'll do a Knolls run or something :)

Apparently they found some underground rivers that they feared could turn into sinkholes. :) That would be scary. Way too much rain for that area in the last couple months! Riding in the mud is fun until you fall through a huge sinkhole and land in an underground river!!!!

bmac

Apparently they found some underground rivers that they feared could turn into sinkholes. :) That would be scary. Way too much rain for that area in the last couple months! Riding in the mud is fun until you fall through a huge sinkhole and land in an underground river!!!!

bmac

I hadn't heard that rumor and I don't doubt the potential for that considering the amount of rain they've had, but the more likely and plausible explanation that I heard was that SUWA was threatening to sue the BLM if they allowed the race to occur in wet conditions again.

Eric....looks like we're planning on going to the Knolls with the kids. I'm taking my bike and don't know how much riding I'll be able to do, but if you're interested, that's where we'll be.

We usually go about 3 miles south on the dirt road to the last location where you can drive west through the small mountain range and out onto the flats. We usually go about a mile west out on the edge of a sandbar before it opens up to the big flats. There may be 2-3 of us guys with our kids so if you see what appears to be a "bunch" of kids riding around and playing in the sand and a fire to keep them warm....you'll know it's us :) Have fun wherever you end up.

Michael - what time will you be arriving at the knolls? My son was also going to race. I don't know who's more upset, him or me. Tears enough for everyone.

Directions: I've only been out to the knolls twice. When you get off the interstate and head in... it curves to the right and then to the left. Are you saying keep going from there for another 3 miles? And then get off and drive about a mile down a sandbar. Afraid you've probably lost me.

My son and I would really like to join your group Saturday. I'll send you a PM with my cell number. Call me if you get a chance so I can figure out where you'll be.

- Eric

Looks like the RR will be rescheduled for April 2nd.