Sign in to follow this  

Tabs for dirt bikes in NC?

Since I am new to NC, I don't know how it works over here. I called a few dealers to get some prices on bikes and I was told dirtbikes do not have a title and do not have tabs like your car. On the West coast dirt bikes are regulated similar to cars where the DMV issues a title and they give you a sticker with numbers on it, and thats basically your license plate. Then you pay each year to get a new year sticker just like the car. Thats offroad only, not talking street legal here. If a ranger or sheriff catches you on public land like the national or state forests without current tabs (month and year sticker), they ticket you. So in NC, how does it work?

Also I got a $6000 out the door price for an 05 KX250F. You think thats good for around here? Probably 10% off on gear but thats it, not throwing in a helmet or anything. I guess that is list of 5600 + 400 sales tax and no setup or any other fee crap, so it's a reasonable deal I suppose, can't get around the 400 tax. I hear of better prices sometimes but wonder if they are realistic or deals to repeat customers, or people are not including the sales tax in their figures.

Exhaust question now. If I get an mx bike it will be loud and not have spark arrestor. You guys going to Brushy and Brown mtn, do I have to get a new exhaust before I can ride there? Where can I ride legally stock to break it in, and give myself time to research exhausts a bit more.

No need for a tab or tag here, just buy it and ride it. You can however buy a sticker from the Forest Service for a years pass at the public riding areas like Brown Mtn., otherwise it's $5/day. As far as trying out your bike before you have to have a spark arrestor, there are some MX tracks around for that. My experience at Brushy has been that they don't really check your bike that often but it's a chance you take. As far as public land requirements for your bike go, you never know where that ranger's hiding and he'll definately look for the arrestor. BTW, welcome to NC. and look for threads for rides and come join us.

Hey Man, I live in Atlanta and I ride Alabama, GA, NC,SC and FL and you pay the fee, usually $5, unless your riding private land. Some places you might want to check out are www.durhamtown.com and www.ridgeriding.com and www.coalcreekohv.com (72,000 acres!!) and Brushy Mtn. as well as Tellico in Murphy NC. Tellico is a legendary 4 wheeler area and is very rocky, but scenic and challenging on 2 wheels if you're up for it. I ride every Sat. in the woods and I have never been stopped or bothered other than for a couple of rangers who checked my receipt/stub for the $5 fee, but never looked at my bike. Check out www.motorcycle-brokers.com. '05 KX250F for $5299+$200 shipped in the factory crate, if you can wait a week. You pick it up at your local Forward-Air terminal. This is a quality Company, and they are for real. The deals are great. I'm buying an '04 YZ250 soon for $1500 less than the dealers were selling them last year. If you want to check out some GA areas let me know. Take Care, Walt :)

I am kinda new in north carolina too, been here about 3 weeks. So far it looks like the riding scene here is awesome, not to mention the weather. what part of the state are you in? i have noticed that sportbikes and street stuff is much more expensive here than up north but the dirtbike prices seem to be about the same...

Goosedog, I think I would like to hook up with some TT riders, I will take you up on that and come join you some day, hopefully soon.

Whipit1k, I am in Greensboro, where are you located?

600ish, I could try motorcyclebrokers.com, the price sounds good. I don't know much about it.

I don't want to run around in circles on the price topic, but I figured I would ask some questions first rather than get a bad deal and then have a bunch people tell me what I should have done. A guy at work suggested I go to another state, Tennessee or Virginia and buy there. Do I not pay their sales tax because I am an out of state resident? Then I wouldn't pay tax in NC because its not titled so they don't track it? Nobody really said anything about buying bikes in NC, except for using motorcyclebrokers.

I haven't really decided completely on what bike yet, but I have it narrowed down. It looks like the price of the 250's is pretty much the same though. I don't think price will push me one way or the other. But I would like to get a better deal this time. In the past it seems I never get a good deal, too excited to get the thing and it probably shows, so they don't go down on price. Maybe thats it, I dunno. Anyone want to chime in on buying bikes in NC?

I am kinda new in north carolina too, been here about 3 weeks. So far it looks like the riding scene here is awesome, not to mention the weather. what part of the state are you in? i have noticed that sportbikes and street stuff is much more expensive here than up north but the dirtbike prices seem to be about the same...

Where are you riding? And is it MX?