Is he covered?

A buddy of mine, John,has a bike with full coverage... and he just dumped another friend, Joe's, sportbike. :) Is there anyway that johns insurance will cover the damage that he inflicted on joes bike? or is it just the insurance that joe has that will cover it?

The insurance follows the bike, not the rider. The owner of the bike will suffer the consequences insurance wise. Thats why its not a good idea to loan your stuff out.

The amount of effort required to get a bunch of different answers (most probably wrong) on TT, is about half the effort required to call the insurance Co. and ask about the specific accident and specific coverages on his bike.

My .02, as I have seen a whole lot of wrong answers on this site.

babbs

Read his policy. Gee....

Simple rule about insurance. These companies do not want to have to pay claims. Yes companies have come through fast for me in the past, but that's because they had to. Somebody may correct me on this, but once you've made a claim, whether you're responsible or not, it's a red flag in their eyes, and you may be getting the "We have the right to randomely terminate your policy" letter...I've received those out of the blue. :)

As for your Q, tell John to call his agent.

The very same thing happened to me. I was ridding a buddy's Yamaha R6 and I wrecked it. I have full coverage insurance on my motorcycle's and he did not have any coverage at all (insurance is not required for motorcycles in Fl). My insurance policy paid for the bike I wrecked. I also gave my buddy the $500 deductible amount that the insurance company didn't pay. But the previous statement that the insurance follows the bike is true, and the rider's insurance would be secondary.

Simple rule about insurance. These companies do not want to have to pay claims. Yes companies have come through fast for me in the past, but that's because they had to. Somebody may correct me on this, but once you've made a claim, whether you're responsible or not, it's a red flag in their eyes, and you may be getting the "We have the right to randomely terminate your policy" letter...I've received those out of the blue. :)

As for your Q, tell John to call his agent.

Kawinj-

I work for an insurance company and we look for everything. Your credit can be used to "red flag" that you may have another claim. Also, I am assuming that you mean auto insurance claims you file being a red flag, whether you're responsible or not. And the answer is yes, because if you are allowing other people to use your automobile (or motorcycle) the insurance company has another exposure that it is not rating for. The insurance company determine's your premiums by what type of risk YOU are. If someone else is using your auto/motorcycle- the insurance company is not charging for that risk. So it can be a red flag for insurance companys.

I work for an insurance company and we look for everything. Your credit can be used to "red flag" that you may have another claim. Also, I am assuming that you mean auto insurance claims you file being a red flag, whether you're responsible or not. And the answer is yes, because if you are allowing other people to use your automobile (or motorcycle) the insurance company has another exposure that it is not rating for. The insurance company determine's your premiums by what type of risk YOU are. If someone else is using your auto/motorcycle- the insurance company is not charging for that risk. So it can be a red flag for insurance companys.

:) I knew one of you industry people would be lurking somewhere on this one...thanks.

Thanks for the input.... i also thought there would be somebody within the insurance industry reading these pages.... I figured it would be best for my buddy to get in touch with his agent.. but i just wasnted some input from fellow riders. thanks again :)

My .02, as I have seen a whole lot of wrong answers on this site.

Thank you! Now everyone knows why I'm such an @sshole all the time. :)

Thank you! Now everyone knows why I'm such an @sshole all the time.

Nah, you're not an a-hole 4-strokes, real a-holes don't need to remind everyone every third post that they're the resident TT a-hole, when you do that nobody buys it. You're kind of like a midget Dracula who nodody's afraid of, he has to remind them "But hey, I'm Dracula dammit!" and nobody believes him and they wait for the real Dracula.

Buck up, and accept your just a nice guy.

And yes, I'm just bustin' your balls.