Hitting small rocks and sticks

The other day i was riding my WR for the 1st time and hit a rock and the front snapped sideways really quick, not anything like what the TTR250 used to do. Just yesterday i hit a small stick about 2 inch dia and about 6 inches long, the front did it again and i almost lost it. It was one of those times when you have reacted before you know what happened. It seems to have no give and is not very confindence inspiring. Is this a suspension setup problem? i have only just started playing with the suspension yesterday. Or is it tyres or just normal for the bike. I don't wanna be on the trails and hit a stick and nearly lose it everytime.

your front tire may be too hard.

you may have the rear sag set wrong.

your fork springs may be too stiff for your weight.

your forks still needs a little break in time.

your fork clickers may be set way wrong.

you may be in need of a steering stablizer. (*)

for the time being, double check your rear sag, then take some off of your fork compression setting (the clicker on the bottom of '01-'05 WRF and '01-'04 YZF forks, top of '05 YZF forks -- did i get that right? double check your manual!).

how much do you weigh?

jim aka the wroster

'01 wr250f

(*) read this thread, see my post (3rd one down):

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152799

Sounds like you need to adjust the rebound setting. Maybe the the compression too.

I weigh 72 kgs. Sorry but in OZ we don't use lbs.

Yesterday when i did it i was in the process of doing the suspension. I had reset the clickers on the top of the forks to standard but hadn't done the bottom clickers yet, then when i hit the stick i came back and did them but didn't get a chance to ride it again to test it. Tonight i am going home and am going to check the sag.

When i first got the bike i couldn't even push the front forks down. I have since moved them to standard and beyond, they are at 15 clicks out now both top and bottom of shock.

Wow. I had the same problem and it didn't take too long to figure out. I dropped the air pressure in the tires (not tyres) to near ten pounds. I left the rebound at the stock setting and softened up the damper for the front shocks.

I went riding today in the Great Pacific NW. What a great day to ride. Anyway, I felt a helluva lot more comfortable on the bike. It was way more forgiving over rocks and wet tree stumps. On the corners, the bike held a great line. Needless to say, it was an awesome day.

dkbuster

To me it is tyres. That is how it is spelt in Australia. :) The front is at 12 psi. Should it be lower?

I will do what you did to your bike and see how that helps.

What makes me wonder though is why does the WR do it and not the TTR.

I was just messin' with you about the tyres. The trail riding that I do in Washington State is tight, rutty (if there is such a word) and sometimes there's a lot of rocks to deal with. I didn't think that just a couple of pounds would matter in the tires, but it did. I may even drop the pressure another pound. It makes a huge difference.

The comparison with the TT? Sorry, I have no idea.

Other than going over the bars today and bruising a rib, it was a great ride.

It's cool about the tyres. :) I might drop the pressure more aswell then. The TTR used to soak it up but not this thing. I think it must be how stiff the front shocks are. I am gonna try and set the bike up as best i can, i have never had to set one up before so i guess it will be trial and error.

Rule of thumb for pressure. Hard pack, keep the pressure higher so you dont get your tubes pinched. About 13 psi or so. For sandy/muddy, keep it around 9 psi.

Make sure you use a gauge that reads 0-15 psi., but nore more than 20 psi.

I ride alot of forest trails which is hard pack and then we will go off into the bush and into some mud and grass and what not. Sounds like about 11 to 12 psi is where i should be, a happy medium.

ooo, I'm glad you asked that question b/c I was having some of the same issues. Although, we let out some air, my tire guage is for cars so I'm getting a good reading on the psi. I'm glad I came across this thread so now I know to get a 0-20 guage! :)

It's cool about the tyres. :) I might drop the pressure more aswell then. The TTR used to soak it up but not this thing. I think it must be how stiff the front shocks are. I am gonna try and set the bike up as best i can, i have never had to set one up before so i guess it will be trial and error.

The TTR is valved way softer than the WR. The TTR is about 30lbs heavier and weight is a good thing for going through rocks and sticks. An XR 600 that weighs almost 300lbs will just go right through a rock feels because of weight and soft suspension. Of course when either the XR or TTR is asked to jump the landings are way worse than the WR. The WR's forks need some time to break in also. After 5 or 6 hours they will feel more plush than when new.

I also recommend a steering stabilizer if you have never tried one. They work!

After a few near death experiences on rocks with my WR I bought a WER steering dampener. I tried every setting with the suspension but it was always nervous in the rocks.

Problem solved, I can ride with one hand now.

I wouldn't ride my WR without one now.

Sounds a little like i need to set the suspension back to standard and wait until the forks break in properly. Otherwise i get a steering damper. But i am a bit hesitant to have to go and buy that just so i can ride a new bike, i would have thought yamaha would have worked that out. I spent all my cash on the bike, i didn't realise i would have to keep buying stuff for it just so i can ride it.

But if it has to be done it has to be done.

Yea, what Rooster said.

I traded in my 2003 TTR 250 for a 2005 WR back in December. Initially, the suspension felt very tight (especially coming off the the soft suspension and the "lazy boy" seat that was on the TTR). After putting 15 or 20 miles on it, everything felt much better. I'm 190lbs and all I did was set the sag. Give it a chance to "break in" before messing around with it.

I traded in my 2003 TTR 250 for a 2005 WR back in December. Initially, the suspension felt very tight (especially coming off the the soft suspension and the "lazy boy" seat that was on the TTR). After putting 15 or 20 miles on it, everything felt much better. I'm 190lbs and all I did was set the sag. Give it a chance to "break in" before messing around with it.

Thanks for the info. I am going to go home tonight and set it all back to standard settings and make sure the sag is right and then just ride it for a while. I called up the dealer and he suggested leaving it at standard for a while aswell.

Had the same initial experience with mine, but was solved with most of the stuff Wrooster mentioned in his reply. I'm 160 pounds (sorry, I couldn't translate that into metrics if I tried) and I softened up the compression 6 clicks and also went out 2 clicks on the fork rebound. However, the action of the fork and the steering position are tied to the sag. I set mine at 105mm. Also, the factory had my tires (tyres?) pumped up with way too much air pressure. All these steps have helped it alot. I still haven't invested in a steering damper, but will most likely do so. You may decide you don't need one after you make these changes if you are low on cash.

Definitely check your sag at least. I did mine today and it had come from the factory at 3". I set it to 4" so I hope that helps. :)

Sounds a little like i need to set the suspension back to standard and wait until the forks break in properly. Otherwise i get a steering damper. But i am a bit hesitant to have to go and buy that just so i can ride a new bike, i would have thought yamaha would have worked that out. I spent all my cash on the bike, i didn't realise i would have to keep buying stuff for it just so i can ride it.

But if it has to be done it has to be done.

I didn't mean to make it sound like you had to get a damper. I had one from my '99 YZ 250 that I did not put on my '01 WRF until last year. The WR handled that good in stock form. Or so I thought. After putting my damper on I remembered why I like them so much. They really do work well and help in the rocks and sticks or anything else that tries to yank the bars out of your hands. They are a purchase that will last you for years and at least 3 or 4 bikes or more. Enjoy that new WR. Maybe an '06 will be in my garage next year. :)