How are whoops made in desert?

My theory is they start out as small bumps and wind rolls. After tires start to roll into them the dirt or sand gets pushed into and out of the same spot, over and over again. Then wind and water start shaping them even more.

It's either that or trail gnomes ?

You're kidding right? It's your TIRES. Every little rise or dip lets the back tire throw some soil, bingo, the dip is a little bigger or a little steeper, unweighting the wheel even more, so more wheelspin happens.

Around here they'll drag trails smooth one weekend and in a couple of weeks the whoops are as bad as they ever were. Just watch the back tire as someone goes through, see all that dirt getting thrown? ?

If its a well ridden trail its all man/machine made. The guy that got me ridding was a USFS ranger and ohv trail maint. manager. He would take me out to some far off places where the bulldozers don't go. Out there the whoops would get about waist deep and 8 to 10 feet between. He told me how hey got there.

Look at a pic of a dirt bike accelerating hard but getting traction and not wheel spin. You can see every power stroke being dug out and a space between each pop(2 strokes are worse). Each one is a mini whoop being made. Then the next bike comes through and digs deeper, and deeper, etc.. until you are using it to jump instead of blasting through which digs them even faster.

Gary

Atleast thats what i've seen

When they groom the whoops the dirt that fills in the bottom is loose and is scrapped from the top of the whoop. This never really gets compressed and then the whole process starts all over again, the soft dirst is easily roosted out of the valley because it never has a chance to get compressed. The whoops on a track are usually in the same place after a couple of laps, even after grooming. In the desert though it has to do with the movement of the wind, same theory, softer sand gets blowed away faster and easier!

Nope you guys are all WRONG !

Late at night the SAND MONKEYS come out and do thier dirty(pun intended) work.Then later they go back and collect all the shiny trinkets that fell off of bikes,and carry them back to thier underground burrows. ?

Are they also responsable for pushing trees and rocks out in front of you in the woods????????????? ?

There are made by the wind. I lived in the Mohave desert for years and are neighbor would grade the roads, but about a month later the whoops or bumps would be right back.

I think your right on the money, I used to live in Barstow, and the same things would happen there, the wind was doing it, but I did always wonder how those old cars got way way out there ?