Need help from the thumpettes again

Helo all, i have been looking at bikes for my 13yo daughter, i had decided on a crf230, but came across an 02 xr200. What are your opinions on this bike?

btw, she is 5'8"

What kind of riding is she going to be doing? How fast is she going to grow out of a smaller bike? My suggestion would be if she is riding MX to go with the CRF250R that is what I have and love it. Luckily she is tall so you won't have to deal with lowering the bike, I am5'3" on a good day and have had to had my bike lowered for me. I don't do much trail riding so I don't know how long it would take to learn to use all the power on a CRF230 and want a larger bike the CRF250X is very similar to the R but is geared for trail riding and has the electric start and lights, but I think is also a large price jump up. I personaly would rather go with a bigger bike to grow into than buy one and grow out of it realy fast. If you know anyone that would let you try out there bikes that are different sizes so you could get a feel for the power that would probably be very helpful. Good luck, I personaly would stick with Honda but I'm sure you will get alot of different oppinions on that.

I have never ridden an XR200 but have heard that XR's are a pretty fool proof bike. We did go riding with a guy that had one, it was older then an 02 but it didn't seem to have much power. I would go with the CRF230 instead. Depending on her riding ability. Learning on the 230 was great! I am a little over 5'7" and didn't have any problem with the height or weight of the bike. If she is a better rider and is not afraid of it, go with the CRF250X or R. I like the X better because I want that electric start! :)

The Honda's have been great bikes for us!

Good Luck!

Brenda

I think the XR200 is a great learning bike. I started on one and learned the basics. You never know what bike is going to be the right fit until you do some riding. There are guys and gals out there that love the DRZ for the trails and there are others that perfer a YZorWRF. It is all about discovering what you want. The 200 has a low seat height for a shorter rider, and the power is grunty but mellow. The bike is also bullet proof and you can feel pretty comfortable buying one used. They are not nimble bikes and feel a tad heavy, but they are no heavier than the 230. The suspension isn't great and the both breaks are drums. The CRF suspension is a bit better and the ergos are nicer, and it does have a front disc bread I believe. If this is her first bike the 200 would be a great starter. After she get some of the basics down and starts pushing the bike beyond its limits, then she can step up. If you buy used then re-sell it in a year or two, you wont lose much. Good Luck. :)

It's official...my little girl is a thumpette! :)

I got her 2002 xr 200, can't wait to get her out there!

Congrats Bronco, I ride with my daughters(4 of em) and its great to share something I love with them. Especially during the teen years when it seems like I just don't have a clue what they want/need from me. :):)

Joe

Congrats Bronco, I ride with my daughters(4 of em) and its great to share something I love with them. Especially during the teen years when it seems like I just don't have a clue what they want/need from me. :):)

Joe

Thanks, and i know exactly what you mean!

Especially during the teen years when it seems like I just don't have a clue what they want/need from me. :):)

Joe

LOL! I almost spit out my coffee! Those icons PERFECTLY reflect the teen years :p That was funny-thanks for the laugh (although, I know that wasn't your intention but it really hit home).

kpicha, the icons showed how I feel most of the time when talking with them but it's not bad. I laugh too when I think about some of the conversations I have with them. :) People ask how I can handle living with that many women. I tell them its good, at least one of them is always trying to be on dad's good side for one reason or another, so I'm well cared for and loved. :)

Joe