O-ring/ X-ring question?

My 250f has had a DID o-ring or x-ring chain on it since I bought it used. I know what the performance differences are. I know what an o-ring looks like but I don't know whats different about the x-ring?

why not spend a minute at their web site.

I think the O-ring lubricates in two spots on the chain, and the x-ring lubricates in 3 or 4, the x-ring is suppose to be a better chain. I pretty sure I am right, I would check the web site though.

I think the O-ring lubricates in two spots on the chain, and the x-ring lubricates in 3 or 4, the x-ring is suppose to be a better chain. I pretty sure I am right, I would check the web site though.

sorry, i have to derail this before we get too far from reality...

everyone knows what a rubber O-ring gasket looks like. take a typical O-ring and cut it using a scissor. look at the cut end of the rubber. the cross section of the ring is in the shape of a circle, naturally. imagine that the "O" cross section is trapped between two flat surfaces. the "O" becomes a little flatter due to the compression of the rubber -- here's a little ascii art:

------------

dirt O grease

------------

hence when an O-ring is used as a seal on the chain link, there is a single seal between the "O" and the mating surfaces to 1) keep the dirt out and 2) keep the lube in. can we do better?

suppose now that instead of having a circular cross section, the gasket instead had an "X" cross section. now, when that "X" is compressed between the two flat surfaces, there are *2* seals: the first beteen one leg of the X and the outside world, and the second between the second leg of the X and the internal grease reservior. and in between is sort of a no-mans land, could be some grease with some dirt mixed in. it's sort of like having a two barrier, two stage system to keep the dirt out and the grease in. again, some ascii art:

------------

dirt X grease

------------

non-O/X-ring benefits:

*slightly* less rolling resistance which *may* give you an extra 10th of a second per lap on the MX track.

O/X-ring benefits:

*much* longer life under severe service conditions like dusty, dirty, muddy, sandy trail riding.

the non-O/X-ring requires constant cleaning and re-application of external lubrication. the applied lubrication can be flung off, can attract and hold dirt and sand, and/or over time become insufficient. if you are a top 25 MX rider with a mechanic on staff, this is the chain for you.

the O/X-ring requires a minumum of care due to the sealed-in lubricant, can be cleaned with a hose and a blast of WD-40, doesn't fling chain lubricant all over your bike, and will generally last 10X as long as a non O/X-ring chain. if you are a trail rider plowing through a variety of trail conditions, this is the chain for you.

by far one of the best values in sealed chains is the DID 520VM X-ring type. this is the stock chain as delivered on the WRF's and is about as good as it gets. it's available through the TT store and through other aftermarket places. for example, http://www.rockymountainmc.com/ has especially good pricing on the 520VM X-ring. last time i looked, the 112 link for the YZF was ~US$67 and the 114 link for the WRF was ~US$68.

ps: while we are at it...

the stock YZF chain is 112 links.

the stock WRF chain is 114 links.

the difference is due to the WRF's larger stock rear sprocket (52T vs the YZF's 48T).

both bikes use a "type 520" chain, which specifies the width and pitch (distance between pins) of the links. type 520 chain is used on practically all bikes between 125cc and 500cc.

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

When looking down between the links the o-ring looks like a compressed circle of rubber between each link. What does the x-ring look like when looking between the links?

What does the x-ring look like when looking between the links?

you'll just see the "V-groove" of the outside of the X cross section.

---

X <-- your view

---

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

If I may chime in here, We are on our 3rd YZ 250f 03,04 and now 05 In 03 I put a DID X on the bike brand new. That chain now resides on our 05.

Almost 300 motos and countless practice hours and it still is in spec.

WD-40 for lube only.

Eric

If I may chime in here, We are on our 3rd YZ 250f 03,04 and now 05 In 03 I put a DID X on the bike brand new. That chain now resides on our 05.

Almost 300 motos and countless practice hours and it still is in spec.

WD-40 for lube only.

Eric

AMEN Eric! :):):D:p:D

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

While I had my CR500 (a notorious chain muncher), I replaced the chain with Regina's premium gold link O-ring chain. That chain is still in place on the bike after over two years of desert riding and wearing off 3 alloy rear sprockets of varying qualities. It measures within 1/16" of the right length over 30 links, and is just starting to stiffen up from loss of lube. Chains like this are well worth the investment, no?

I almost forgot the best part. I always take the new chain thats supplied with the new 250f off and save it till I sell it and I have a brand new crappy chain with good sprockets.

Always a good selling point for an MX bike.

Eric

Don't forget that using wd40 is a good point with X-rings. Even waxes will stick to dirt and cause early wear. :)

I am getting a x-ring once my chain dies.............then I will have something to pass on to my grandchildren, then their grandkids pass it on,then their grandkids pass it on,then their grandkids pass it on,then their grandkids pass it on,then their grandkids pass it on,then their grandkids pass it on..............

I had the same thought but then realised all chain drives will be infra red or Wi-Fi 802.11z by then. And all you will have to do is press a button to change the Ghz of the drive ratios. I cant wait.