Big Problem - Broken Bolt and camchain question

I finally got around to changing the head gasket on my 400. I got to puting the cam saddles on and broke (bad torque wrench) one of the 5mm allen head bolts off in the head. Im now faced with 2 options.

1 Go to a machine shop and have them pull it, or try to extract it myself.

2 Bad - helicoil :)

Im really debating to try to pull it myself. Is it hard?

One other question. The manual shows a different collored pin on the cam chain to mark the first link. Mine doesnt have this, instead the plate is marked 1a, or a1, something like that. Is that the first like?

So, another torque wrench disaster. Actually they are 6mm bolts.

Is the bolt broken off flush with the head? Just because it is broken doesn't mean it is frozen in place. Might turn out easy. Or maybe you got one of the long bolts in a short hole which means it is bottomed out and is frozen in place. I'd say take it to a machine shop. Probably cheaper in the long run.

I don't understand your question about the cam chain. You do not need any marks on the chain to install it. Install per marks on the cam sprockets and crankshaft position.

Why did you need to replace the head gasket?

terrible overheating and loss of coolant, white sweet smelling white smoke. pretty sure it was the HG. the bolt broke above the threads, I actually imagine it will come out easy, i just dont know squat about mc engines and absolutly despise working on em. Im 22 and quit work to do school full time so money is a serious issue, so its this or not ride till i graduate and make $$$$ (buy a new bike anyways....)

The engine has held up well all said and done. 2000 miles SM street style, 1/2 a season racing supermoto, 1200 miles wide open desert, and the colorodo 500 did it in. Good haul i think. The gasket blew at forrest hill in very tight woods. I had to push the bike through most of it, which was really not fun. you know these things weigh a TON !!!

As for the cam chain, you need to line to chain up with the gears on a mark if you want the engine to run, and keep your valves straight :)

you dont need any marks on the chain.

you put the motor at tdc and index the marks on the cam like it shows in the manual.

I actually imagine it will come out easy, i just dont know squat about mc engines and absolutly despise working on em.

Seems strange to post about machine shops and helicoils until you at least try to get the screw out. Also despising the work you are doing is a great way to make for a bad job.

Don't use just any old hardware store bolt either. Get the correct bolt with the correct hardness rating. Best to get that from the dealer.

If getting the bolt out requires drilling it out...I recommend you take it to a machine shop...so as not to screw up a very expensive head over a fairly simple job. If you don't have the confidence to do it right...let a professional do it.

its hard to get the bolt out when its broken off inside. Thanks burned, I'll figure it out. As for stupid posts, this is why I havnt posted or read here in 2 years. Do you guys actually read or just post the first stupid remark that pops into your head?

nobody said anything about being a stupid post.

the bolt broke above the threads, I actually imagine it will come out easy, i just dont know squat about mc engines and absolutly despise working on em. ]

If the bolt broke above the threads try to use a pair of pliers and see if it will turn. If that dont work use a pair of needle nose vise grips. :)

I have had head bolts and such snap on me on various projects and sometimes could use a Sharp punch to tap the broken bolt out. Usually if it don't break loose and start to unthread in the first 4 or 5 pings then your in for more detailed work. :) Lots of times bolts that have been hot and cold get weak and snap off when reasembling, that is why it's often a good idea to get new bolts in these areas though most of us seldom do. :)

One thing that worked for me if its broken above flush with the hole, is use a dremel or something and cut a small slot, as deep as you can, then use flathead screwdriver to unscrew it.

good suggestions. The bolt broke inside the whole, the threaded part of the bolt is 3/4 inches inside. Im gonna go get a quote at a machine shop, It might be cheap, Im mostly worried about further damaging the threads if I do a reverse rotation bolt extractor because I need to drill a pilot hole. Although I dont think the cam saddles take that much load, intact threads and bolts are a good idea !

Burned your post wasnt stupid, on the contrary you are very helpfull, people posting telling me to take it to the shop is stupid. I explained, they didnt read.

Tim , Take a small pick or dental tool (if you have one) a tiny screwdriver or nail and see if you can reach in and rotate the bolt at all. Often times the bolt is just sitting there loose as all get out and just needs to be carfully rotated out! :)

1 Go to a machine shop and have them pull it, or try to extract it myself.

2 Bad - helicoil :)

Im really debating to try to pull it myself. Is it hard?

You asked...I answered based on what you said. I don't think my recommendation was stupid...especially based on what was posted.

its hard to get the bolt out when its broken off inside. Thanks burned, I'll figure it out. As for stupid posts, this is why I havnt posted or read here in 2 years. Do you guys actually read or just post the first stupid remark that pops into your head?

If you are referring to my post, what in it do you regard as stupid or evidence that I didn't read your posts?