Quicksilver Enduro Conditions

Quicksilver National Enduro this weekend at Clear Creek. Weather guessers are predicting showers, what's this place like when it's wet. I've seen pictures of when conditions are perfect on sunny days, but what is it really like when it turns to goo? Is the mud sticky and then turn into a brick when it dires?

clear creek drains really well. The soil is a loose composite, not much if any clay. So you will get muddy but no your tires won't clay up on you. I would expect the very narrow up slope tight rutty single track might have some slippery spots and you'll run thru some puddles and water filled holes, but examaple after that HUGE storm we had in early january, guys were riding after 2-3 days of dry and having a good time.

However I exchanged e-mails with ET, one of the QS coordinators a few days ago and he was still worried the BLM might shut the event down due to rain. You'd better check with the salinas ramblers and the D36 web site on a daily basis to see if the QS goes on or not. If it's on, then ride it, don't worry about wet the place can handle and drain water real good.

not sure I answered your question. you asked if the mud is sticky and drys like a brick..........hmmmm well isnt all mud sticky in that it will cling and build up on you skid plate, pipe and everywhere it can? and doesn't all mud turn hard when it drys? ALL I know is CC mud is not the greasy builds up in your tires mud so you can't make your bike go stuff.

Lets put it this way, after having every orifice of my bike caked with mud I was able to just hose it off at the house in 10 minutes with regular water pressure.

The soil is made up mostly of shale and sand and believe it or not in some places as much as 50% asbestos. ? (don't worry its winter)

I would definitely check Salinas ramblers HERE and D36 HERE

Good luck and happy trails ?

-Rich-

I helped last Saturday with course marking for the Quicksilver. ET informed me that the BLM implemented a rule stating that the property gets shut down for three days after half an inch of rain is measured within a 24 hour period. According to this rule and the amount of rain they received yesterday the place should be shut down today. From what I understand the real worry is if they get rain after Thursday with the three-day closure affecting the event.

If the place does get shut down and the Ramblers are unable to host the event I feel for all the competitors that have driven many miles to reach California and to all of the Ramblers that have already put in so many hours into hosting the event.

I can only hope the BLM has some understanding management.

clear creek drains really well. The soil is a loose composite, not much if any clay. So you will get muddy but no your tires won't clay up on you.

ALL I know is CC mud is not the greasy builds up in your tires mud so you can't make your bike go stuff.

? While it's true that most of CC drains pretty well there are sections - that I'm sure they will run the race through - that have nasty clay. The kind of stuff that peals off onto your tires and jams your bike up so bad that you can not move!!!! :D

I was stuck on one such trail - I couldn't even get my bike to move at all on a down hill with lots of throttle. :D Must have had 50 + pounds of mud stuck everywhere!! We were rescued the next day by helicopter. ? In wet conditions it is very important that you know the trail system!!

Please don't advise others on soil conditions if your not sure yourself. It could leave someone stranded! ?

dp

Yea, there is some nasty mud there... But for the most part it is the easiest dirt to clean off I have ever seen! I oressure wash my bike afterwards and it somes out completely clean. A little mud at Hollister and I can pressure all I want but it still leaves a nasty film on the bike, need to hand wash after a muddy ride at Hollister.

? While it's true that most of CC drains pretty well there are sections - that I'm sure they will run the race through - that have nasty clay. The kind of stuff that peals off onto your tires and jams your bike up so bad that you can not move!!!! :D

I was stuck on one such trail - I couldn't even get my bike to move at all on a down hill with lots of throttle. :D Must have had 50 + pounds of mud stuck everywhere!! We were rescued the next day by helicopter. ? In wet conditions it is very important that you know the trail system!!

Please don't advise others on soil conditions if your not sure yourself. It could leave someone stranded! ?

dp

yup, my bad

Sooo, if it's a go? who's racing it?

I know I'll be there with my "hello Kitty" pink Umbrella and my yellow light house keeper rain slicks ready for action.

You can't beat 110 miles of CC to round out your weekend.

Not sure what the big deal is, we ran it in the rain the last couple years and the snow 3 years ago.

Not sure what the big deal is, we ran it in the rain the last couple years and the snow 3 years ago.

Ed, posted a comment about how the BLM is going by their regulation book. With the enviro lawsuit and all the attention CC is getting the BLM may have no choice but to not allow the event if it rains enough and revoke the permit. Sad but true. ?