Sign in to follow this  

Anyone Use Heated Gear on DRZ-s?

Has anyone hooked up heated jackets, vests or gloves to the charging system on their DRZ? Can the alternator handle it? When it gets below freezing I usually run a Gerbing heated jacket liner and gloves when on my streetbike. I'm picking up a new DRZs on Saturday and would rather ride it home than trailer it, so I'm looking for some feedback on using the heated gear. Thanks!

Yep, I use heated grips and an electric vest when it gets cold enough.

I've had no problems with them on my bike.

You are good for at least 50 watts. After that it might become marginal.

Great! Thanks Guys. Anyone know the amount of wattage the charging system can output?

I just installed grip heaters on my bike and from what I've discovered, they are fine! They only draw about 30-35 watts on high.

But, I sent back an Aerostich heated vest because I don't believe these bikes are meant to draw all of these items constantly. I run a 100W headlight along with taillight, brake light, turn signals, heated grips........I just didn't feel comfortable running an additional 45 watts or so with the vest and feeling safe that the battery was being fully recharged at the same time, although my bike is the E model without a kickstart backup.

I'm running a Widder electric vest every morning on my 40 mile ride to work.

I've also got a 55/100w headlamp, although I try not to run the high beam while the vest is on. Running the vest is a life saver... or at the very least, makes those frosty morning rides bearable.

Thanks for the info. I run a Gerbing's heated jacket liner when on my Triumph Sprint along with their heated glove liners. The glove liners only draw about 22W, but the jacket liner (fully heated sleaves) is rated at 77W! That bike has a 40 Amp alternator though, I'm sure the DRZ's is rated much lower. I'll probably just go with the glove liners for now - not planning on any long runs in the cold anyway. Thanks again!

What kind of battery would it take to run a vest? I plan on buying some heated grips but I don't wan't to run the vest off the bike.

I hear ya, yost - But I'm picking the bike up tomorrow, and I'd hate to trailer a brand new bike home, even though it looks like it'll be in the teens in the morning. (Plus, I don't want to be a wuss! :) ) Anyway, you get used to riding in some chily weather out here in the east. If not, you might as well put away the bikes for 3 months, and I'm not into that!

Thanks for the info. I run a Gerbing's heated jacket liner when on my Triumph Sprint along with their heated glove liners. The glove liners only draw about 22W, but the jacket liner (fully heated sleaves) is rated at 77W! That bike has a 40 Amp alternator though, I'm sure the DRZ's is rated much lower. I'll probably just go with the glove liners for now - not planning on any long runs in the cold anyway. Thanks again!

Hopefully this is still on subject, been curious on adding heat too but never sure about how much we could do with the drz. Would be interested in some info on heated glove liners. Is there a preferred brand, or website, I should be checking out? Thanks!!

Hey Roscoe,

I can't really say about the DRZ, since I don't pick mine up until tomorrow morning :) , but I've been using Gerbing's heated gear on my streetbikes for years without any problems.

www.gerbing.com

Their gear is a little pricey, but the quality is top notch and comes with a lifetime warranty. The jacket liner is great, but it does draw twice as much current as the Widder vest. The glove liners are new. I used to use their heated gloves but I found them to be too bulky, so I just got a pair of the liners to wear under my regular gloves. Haven't used them enough yet to give a good opinion though.

Great! Thanks Guys. Anyone know the amount of wattage the charging system can output?

From memory the alternator is rated at 200W. It's easy enough to work out the power draw from the lights etc and I think the ignition draws minimal power. Don't forget to allow for charging the battery. This can be fairly accurately worked out by dividing the battery capacity in AH by 10 to find the max charging current then multiplying by 12 (12volts) to find the power.

eg for a 12AH battery, max charging current is 1.2A and power consumption is 14.4W. Don't ask me what the capacity of the battery is though.

Just thinking about if you stuffed a small batter in your jacket? Probably wouldn't last long with a vest but for gloves or so?

Nice thought DRZer, but I don't think a standard battery could provide the current required for even just the glove liners. Anyway, I made it home yesterday morning without a hitch. It was about 23 degrees F, and the bike's charging system handled the gear fine. 200W sounds about right for the DRZ - thanks Iainross! I just made sure that I turned the gear off at stoplights as usual.