Sign in to follow this  

yzf426 possible for STM Slipper clutch?

i'm thinking of getting a slipper for my yz426 but i cant find the specs. is it available for 426? or can i just use the 450? cos motostrano store just says yz all year but fmf only list 450. so i'm confused... :)

No slipper clutch for 426.With a lot of machining work 450 will fit but not easy fix.Rukluse bringing out slipper clutch soon don't know if for 426 :

Solely out of curiousity...what machining would be required? Wouldn't the 450 clutch basket swap be enough...just wondering. Tdub

Wow talk about dug up frm the dead.

STM does NOT make a slipper for the 426 but Hinson DOES!

I have one in my 426 and it is far superior to the STM i have in my Honda, in both build quality and performance.

If you have a 426 and are keeping it for whatever reason this clutch will make you very very happy.

They dont list it on the website but call Ron Hinson and ask him about it and you are good to go.

Best money I have ever spent on my 426 by far

Just called FMF and they do have a STM slipper for the 2000-2001 yz 426 which also will fit the 2001-2002 wr 426.

I have a STM in my crf 250 and I just ordered one for my CRF 450. My good friend has a Hinson in his crf 250 and we rode bikes back to back.... I really feel like the STM is a better performing clutch. To me it seemed like the Hinson was not as sensitive as the STM I felt like my clutch (STM) opened easier and felt way smother when i first let off the gas. This is just my own opinion. One thing I have noticed is that my clutch plates have lasted a lot longer then my friends who has the hinson.. I am not sure why but I think it is because of the smother opening and the bigger ramps that the STM uses...

Just some food for thought

Just called FMF and they do have a STM slipper for the 2000-2001 yz 426 which also will fit the 2001-2002 wr 426.

I have a STM in my crf 250 and I just ordered one for my CRF 450. My good friend has a Hinson in his crf 250 and we rode bikes back to back.... I really feel like the STM is a better performing clutch. To me it seemed like the Hinson was not as sensitive as the STM I felt like my clutch (STM) opened easier and felt way smother when i first let off the gas. This is just my own opinion. One thing I have noticed is that my clutch plates have lasted a lot longer then my friends who has the hinson.. I am not sure why but I think it is because of the smother opening and the bigger ramps that the STM uses...

Just some food for thought

It could be any number of things, your friends clutch may have a stiffer (more powerful) spring than your STM and that is why it feels like yours releases earlier (SMOOTHER) than his does.

I own both and can tell you there is almost no noticeable difference between the action of the 2.

The STM is noisy and clunky, the Hinson is not.

I have no motivation to promote the Hinson or the STM, but the fact that I own both of them and ride both bikes regularly allows me to say this without hesitation.

I think the Hinson is a better unit overall when coupled with a Hinson basket.

P.S. I also have a Hinson basket under my STM so that levels the playing field a bit.

Dont think for a minute I dont like the STM, I love it, it is a perfect clutch, works bitchen and makes all the difference in the world.

Get either one, you wont be dissapointed.

The one bitchen thing about the hinson however is that they provide you with 3 different springs included in the price. The STM you have to buy whatever spring you think you want and the others are like $80.00 each.

I see your point and I hope you dont think I am trying to rep for these companies either. I thank you for your info and friendly conversation. but I am going to stay with the STM :applause:

CRF 250 < STM clutch

CRF 450 < Just ordered a STM today

CBR 1000 < WIll order a STM when I get some more $$$$$

Im di hard STM ha ha :thumbsup:

STM doesn't make a slipper clutch for a YZF or WR 426. I e-mailed the STM factory in Italy once, the 450 STM does n't fit the 426. Motostrano used to mistakenly advertise that they had an STM that fit the 426, and 400, it looks like FMF are doing the same (as they show one part number for both 450 and 426).

http://www.fmfracing.com/products/catalog.aspx?CategoryID=361&ItemID=013001

You can buy the Hinson / Suter 426 slipper direct from the Swiss factory for $750 plus shipping.

From a tuners point of view, the Hinson is many times easier to work on and adjust than the STM... My vote goes for the Hinson...excellant quality and craftsmanship and ease of tuning...5 stars! Tdub

STM doesn't make a slipper clutch for a YZF or WR 426. I e-mailed the STM factory in Italy once, the 450 STM does n't fit the 426. Motostrano used to mistakenly advertise that they had an STM that fit the 426, and 400, it looks like FMF are doing the same (as they show one part number for both 450 and 426).

You can buy the Hinson / Suter 426 slipper direct from the Swiss factory for $750 plus shipping.

The 2 clutches are not the same...Hinson modifies the Suter clutch to their specs. It is more expensive to buy it from Hinson, but you will get a better clutch! Tdub

FMF is not Advertising wrong their tech guy explained to me that STM has an updated clutch that fits the yz 426 and if you add The Supplied washer it will fit a YZ 450. :thumbsup: call FMF For more info i am sure they can explain it

FMF is not Advertising wrong their tech guy explained to me that STM has an updated clutch that fits the yz 426 and if you add The Supplied washer it will fit a YZ 450. :lame: call FMF For more info i am sure they can explain it

I talked to FMF at the dealer show at Indy in Febuary and they told me that they were getting in the new kits and it does fit both 426 & 450. Something about the 450 takes an additional washer that is supplied. :thumbsup:

If only it were really that simple. Tdub

Aint that the truth.

The 450 and 426 are completely different in many more ways than a simple washer.

If it were that simple we would have had slippers on our 426's years ago, instead if I am not mistaken, I was the first guy in the USA to get a slipper on a 426.

And that was because of guys like Ron Hinson and Tdub willing to do the footwork and make it happen.

Ron Hinson sent me a prototype setup that we could not make work, it was a 450 slipper that we tried to make fit into a 426 basket, then we put a 426 ring gear on a 450 basket still no go, then Tdub hooked me up with a different 450 basket and still no go.

Finally Ron Hinson got his units sorted out and thats what I have on my bike now, and I had the very first one to arrive in the USA thanks to Ron Hinson.

HUGE thanks to Tryce (Tdub) for the many hours on the phone and helping me get hooked up with parts to try and also for working with Ron Hinson to make it a reality, I am pretty sure Tryce is building JR Schnabel's bikes with Hinson slipper clutches now and thats saying a lot about the quality of the clutch, because I know JR puts things to the test :thumbsup:

Hinson for the win.

sorry to say it is that simple i installed one last weekend on a 426... it went in with no problems. I showed my buddy this post and we were laughing. ( because it does work and it only took about 15 min to install.)

I agree that Ron Hinson has done a lot of work for clutches but I have to say that his slipper clutch is not a Hinson design. Hinson has not done nearly as much if any "footwork" for the slipper clutches compared to STM. Hinson is a Replica of A swiss Company that makes slippers. they probably buy it from that swiss company.... damn I forget the name of it but....

So you are trying to say that you can take a YZF450 clutch and put it in a 426?

I am sorry to say that you are wrong.

Now I will say that the 450 plates will work in a 426 but the basket, primary gear and such are all different.

If it were that simple we would have had slippers in 426's a long time ago.

good luck with whatever you put in there tho, I hope it works out for you.

:devil:

Hinson is a Replica of A swiss Company that makes slippers. they probably buy it from that swiss company.... damn I forget the name of it but....

Well which is it? a "replica" or is he "buying them from that.....um swiss company"?

Please enlighten us? :thumbsdn: