Sign in to follow this  

Just curious about 05 YZ450f for H.S. racing

I just started doing some Hare Scramble racing this year. I love it!!! Anway, I am using my 02 WR426F that I have modded a bit to be closer to the YZ426F. With that said, I am curious if it might be worth my while to look into an 05 YZ450F since I am doing these Hare Scramble races. I also do a good bit of trail riding. I was just comparing the weight differences and am curious if it is worth trying to sell my bike and get a lighter bike. Mine is in the neighborhood of 244 dry weight and the new YZ450 is 220 dry weight. Or is it fine to keep at it on my current bike? I do like my bike a lot, just wanted to hear some opinions.

thx

I would think that the gear ratio's would be horrible for cross country racing on the YZ. I would consider the new WR 2005 with the electric starting feature. The lower first gear really comes in handy when your in survival mode towards the end of the race . Same thing for the electric starting. You can lose more energy kicking the bike when it stalls and trying to keep up a pace that is wearing you out becuase of a high gear ratio than the wieght of the bike. Sometimes just keeping the bike upright and in forward motion are the deciding factor in you finishing position. A YZ spinning out at every slick spot and wearing you out kicking it if you stall can destroy your results. I had a YZ400F and never liked it on single track stuff. First gear was way to high and the motor just wasn't smooth enough. I loved it when I ws racing motocross and won some races on it but when training I would try to trail ride it now and then and it sucked. I just started racing cross country and actually bought a KTM 450 exc because of the terrain and style of riding that I knew I was getting into. The smoother power delivery and lower first gear aswell as the electric start all played a huge roll in me having a good time in my first cross country race. It was a muddy race and the bike just found tracktion rather than wanting to be a dragster everywhere. People would fall infront of me in single track sections and Somethimes I would stall it trying to avoid them. Just hit the button before I even stopped rolling and kept on going. I was verry impressed. I would consider sticking with the WR or something similar unless your going straight moto. It's all about results. Good luck

Cool. Thanks. You know I hadn't thought of it like that. I actually am really happy with my 02 so will probably keep it for a while. I went up 1 tooth on the rear sproket and it helped a good bit from the stock gearing. Not crazy about the electric start, kick starting mine has always been fine. Looks like I get to save a bundle of cash and keep my bike :):)

I might get pounded for this remark, but my 04YZ450 with the rekluse is the ultimate woods weapon.

It never stalls. I start it at the beginning of the ride and push the majic red kill button when I'm finished riding.

Lug it, chug it, and rip it up in the woods. I haven't found the gear ratios an issue at all. I rarely get out of 3rd, and occasionally shift into 1st.

Dirty

mine works fine, I put a 16 oz flywheel wt on it and plan to go down one tooth smaller in the front. But it did ok at Gimler Texas GNCC.

Yeah, I love my bike in the woods. I pretty much stay in 2nd most of the time. I idle it up a bit so I don't stall it and it goes pretty much until I kill the engine. Everything about my WR426 all YZ'd out is perfect for the woods riding. I just was concerned about the weight and if the YZ would be better because of that. Seems like if I got the YZ I would then be trying to get it closer to the WR since I do Harescramble racing and woods riding. All except adding weight. haha.

I agree. Dumping $500+ into a $5000+ bike just to make it an ACCEPTABLE woods rider, just isn't worth it. Even for the desert, I don't like the YZ450 and I rode a 03 (I hear the 05 is better). On the otherhand, I think the CRF450 would make an awesome woods killer. It has more gears, so that doesn't mean that if you get on the throttle w/o shifting you only accelerate 20mph instead of 35mph. It has power when you want it. And lastly, it has a semi-soft suspension. I'm a Yamaha rider and all, but I'm dissapointed with their 450. Most of this post is pretty confusing, so don't be baffled. I'm confused too.

Look at what the AA guys in the afternoon run

nobody on anything heavier than a 250 pinger, gncc is mostly the same

the setra races are all so tight a 450 has 200cc's of unusable power

Look at what the AA guys in the afternoon run

nobody on anything heavier than a 250 pinger, gncc is mostly the same

the setra races are all so tight a 450 has 200cc's of unusable power

Oh yeah, you are correct about that. But there are a couple top guys in the AMA GNCC that are on thumpers. I have thought about looking into a 250 2 stroke too, but as a second bike. I really like my thumper so I am going to just keep it. It really is a great woods bike even if there is too much power at times. That power has gotten me out of trouble a few times though which I like. And so far not gotten me in any trouble. It would be cool to try out an 05 YZ250 though. Maybe in a couple years when everyone is getting rid of them I will snag one cheap :)

I agree. Dumping $500+ into a $5000+ bike just to make it an ACCEPTABLE woods rider, just isn't worth it. Even for the desert, I don't like the YZ450 and I rode a 03 (I hear the 05 is better). On the otherhand, I think the CRF450 would make an awesome woods killer. It has more gears, so that doesn't mean that if you get on the throttle w/o shifting you only accelerate 20mph instead of 35mph. It has power when you want it. And lastly, it has a semi-soft suspension. I'm a Yamaha rider and all, but I'm dissapointed with their 450. Most of this post is pretty confusing, so don't be baffled. I'm confused too.

I am not too confused, not any more than you are, lol. My bike is pretty good woods bike so I can't complain. I took it for a ride yesterday and reminded myself how good it actually is. I am sure with enough money I could find something better but mine will do at least for a few more years.

I have been on a YZ250 smoker for years. I have gone through 4 of them now. I just got a CRF450r (04 new) for this season. I find that the 2 stroke is a trip to race in the woods. Usually way too much Hp than needed, but I would rather have too much than not enough. I looked long and hard at the CRF450X for woods but could not justify the extra 40 Lbs even for the Electric start. The side stand would be a nice item to have though. A good friend of mind has the 04 WR450r and is untouchable. I guess it is just what u are use to riding. Good luck with the decision and remember to keep the shinny side up. It might be hard to find it after a mud race though.

I ride mine exclusively in the desert and my '04 yz450f with a 12 0Z weight on the flywheel is great. Never any issues regarding gear ratio's.I don't see the rear of many bikes.

You are probably better off keeping your 426 for now. I have a CRF450 and it is great in tight woods (with the correct rear sprocket). My bud has an 03' and 04' YZF450 and he cannot hang at all in tight eastern woods. I do believe that he is a much better rider than me though, so he should have laid it on me. The 5 speed is much more versatile in my book. :)

Well fellas, I think I decided. I am going to keep the 426. I rode at the General GNCC this past weekend and realized I really like my bike. The WR426 works awesome in the woods, gearing is great. I have gone 1 tooth up on the rear sproket. and for the woods I really like the engine braking of the 4 stroke, even if it is a little heavier than the two strokes. I do think that later this summer I will send the forks and rear shock to Factory Connection to get re worked and setup for strickly woods riding. I have all stock right now, and I could see where good suspension could be really helpful. I think it would help save energy especially on a rough course.

Plus, I just bought a mint 99yz250. it already has Factory Connection suspension on it. I think I may try and start doing a little beginner MX racing with it. Works out good because I can us the yz on the track and the WR in the woods and H.S. races.

I saw someone say something about an 05YZ250. No mistake buying this bike IMO. I bought it specifically for off-road racing. (coming off an 03 YZ250F) Im still tickling the clickers on the fork trying to rid of some headshake. But other than that, this thing is SAWEEEEET.. Havent ridden and tight tight woods but I am confident this thing will be sweet sweet sweet. My bud has an 04YZ450 and Ive put some time on it and I realy liked it too. But I still think mine is better. :)

My race parter CRFMitch has an 04 CRF450 and is on his third set of valves. (yes he has the stainless set and springs) Its a shame, damn good bike with a big appetite for valves... YUMM He'll make ya wonder how he does it in the woods.