Which Cam?

Which cam/brand should I use? Here is what I'm looking for and was originally thinking of doing. I thought about putting in a JE 12.5:1 piston in hopes this would give me some low end gain and then was going to put in a Hot Cam Stage 2 to work on Mid/Top end gain. I want to balance out the power range to be pretty much equal gains through out. My overall range I use most, as I'm sure most mortals are the same, is the low/mid range...but some tracks require me to run on the top end as well. I don't really have a lot of money to invest into really hopping it up like Rap/Dav did/do. I figure I'm going to need to replace the piston anyway in the near future, so that is why I figured I would go with a higher compression piston to give me some extra low end grunt. What mods is required for the Stage 2? Would be nice if I could just use existing parts. The Stage 1 (which I know doesn't need any other mods for it to work properly) seemed like it mostly added more on bottom/mid, which I don't think I really need if I go with a higher comp piston :) Are there other cams that would be a good/better option? Doesn't RHC make a cam? Between the Stage 1/2, which is easier on the valves (i.e. less aggressive)? Knock on wood, my valves are still in spec on my '03 :)

Your questions/needs all point you to getting the stage 1 cam. . .

Dean,

Get an '04 or '05 and forget about it..LOL

ben

I just did almost exacty what you are describing. I sent my engine off and had it proted and polished with the stage 2 cam and a 13:1 piston that was coated along with the cylinder. I also had the Kibblewhite valves put it in while I was at it. This setup is for an advanced rider for Motocross mainly. I change my gearing for the low end of tight tracks. This is an awesome package that is easy to go fast with and very broad use of power. I highly suggest going to a Stage 2 and higher comp piston or I think you will be unhappy with complete power curve. Just my experience and input.

Dean,

Get an '04 or '05 and forget about it..LOL

ben

Riiiggght...I'll let you ask my wife for me :) LOL

I just did almost exacty what you are describing. I sent my engine off and had it proted and polished with the stage 2 cam and a 13:1 piston that was coated along with the cylinder. I also had the Kibblewhite valves put it in while I was at it. This setup is for an advanced rider for Motocross mainly. I change my gearing for the low end of tight tracks. This is an awesome package that is easy to go fast with and very broad use of power. I highly suggest going to a Stage 2 and higher comp piston or I think you will be unhappy with complete power curve. Just my experience and input.

That's what I'm thinking....there have been many times I've been looking for a bit more get up and go when battling with someone, especially one on a 500 LOL Is the port and polish the only thing that should be done if using the Stage 2? What all does it take to install it? Seems I remember seeing that something different needed to be done when installing the Stage 2 vs Stage 1....maybe it was just the port-n-polish :)

Port and polish is not necessary but will add alot more power as well. You can install the Stage 1 or 2 cams with no additional items needed but heavier cam holders are suggested. My engine is pretty much to the extreme of modifications with only matching cases left to do on it. It sounds like what you need is the Stage cam and go with the stock piston or a 12:5:1 piston. I am using the 13:1 with my engine specs but I also have to run race gas with this setup which doesn't suit everybody. If all you use is the low end, go with stage 1. If you are a all around rider under all situations, go with a stage 2 and a 12:5:1 piston and have a broader power curve. A pipe will also change your power but I would guess you have already done this step as it should be the first.

sounds interesting.........

lets see some dyno graphs from your "maxed out" crf.

Unless you're a B level rider or better who's riding wide open outdoor 4-5 gear tracks, or supermoto, I'd go with mild porting or a stage 1 cam. The stage 1 doesn't take away any from the top, or anything noticable at that. If you want a rapture style horse power monger, than you're on the right track. If you want something ridable in normal circumstances, you don't need all that stuff.

I ride all types of stuff. The MX series I'm following now has a wide variety style of tracks which is real cool IMO...anywhere from SX style to GP style tracks. The SX style I definitely am stuck in the low/mid power range....but the GP style coming up, I'll be using the top end more often as will when we get back onto the National track. I also do a lot of trail riding which also is mixed from tight/twisty stuff to WFO stuff. I don't think I really need a Rapture kind of bike, but something with a little more get up than I currently have across the board will be nice.

Assuming Ron Hamp is reading this, what is your opinion as a good "inexpensive" combo to achieve what I'm looking for...I do have a complete FMF Ti4 system on the beast now.

Thanks

take a look @ burned s dyno graphs all bolt ons so far the cam is going into production in a couple of weeks this cam has less lift than a stock cam but still produces more power every where easy on valve train isnt this what every one has been asking for .over 55 hp thats like a cr 500 but much more usable .

HA!!! you arent as extreme as you think you are... you didnt get oversized valves!!! BHA HA HA!!! sorry..... dont know what came over me.

in my opinion the guy should just get the stage one with a J&E piston and an after market pipe to help top end.

dan

RHC. Yes that is exactly what we want. In fact it sounds almost like magic. Just be sure to let us all know when they go into production.

RHC. Yes that is exactly what we want. In fact it sounds almost like magic. Just be sure to let us all know when they go into production.

exactly what he said :) I've waited this long to do this, I can wait a little longer....as long as it's by summer :) Summer time here is like winter most other places only hot rather than cold, it's a good time to do all the neglected maintenance cause it's too dang hot. LOL :D

Ron, how much are you going to be selling it to your fellow TTer for? :p

Unless you're a B level rider or better who's riding wide open outdoor 4-5 gear tracks, or supermoto, I'd go with mild porting or a stage 1 cam. The stage 1 doesn't take away any from the top, or anything noticable at that. If you want a rapture style horse power monger, than you're on the right track. If you want something ridable in normal circumstances, you don't need all that stuff.

Doh!!!.... :)

The hot tip in Supermoto nowdays is "less is more"

mild porting, stock piston, slightly decked head (compression boost) some carb work and a different ignition curve get you close to 58 HP at the rear wheel, with stock valves and springs, and of course a full pipe.

mild porting, stock piston, slightly decked head (compression boost) some carb work and a different ignition curve get you close to 58 HP at the rear wheel, with stock valves and springs, and of course a full pipe.

so did you use a different ign box?

Mcgrath didnt have any head work @ the extreme games just a certain cam and a piston and pipe .Chm wanted a little more low end in there bikes they had plenty of top end and i think i have adressed the low end with the new cam with out hurting the top .on our dynos we had made 58 hp with a stock 02 cam but it took more than mild porting and did not have near the over rev of the 208 cam .

If I purchase a Stage 1 will I need to change springs or anything else of the matter?