Too much compression?

I've had an 04 piston in for awhile and have had no problems with cranking. My intake valves recently almost bottomed out on one side and so I reshimmed eveything and got it back into spec. Put everything back together and went to crank it. One the first time cranking the kickstarter just stopped. I had to crank it by getting it just past TDC and then it would be really easy just as before. After the motor gets hot it does the same thing, even with the decompression hot start engaged. You have to go just past TDC and it fired right up. I don't think this is right is it. It almost feels like it is binding against something. But, all I did was reshim the valves. Has anyone else experienced this? Could it have that much compression from the 04 piston?

same type of thing happened to me, in my situation I was a tooth off on the timing.

check your cam timing .

is there anyway to check other than lining up the dots :)

Does anyone else know of anything?

I'm willing to bet your timing is off by a tooth. The same thing has happened to me. I had to just about jump down onto the kickstarter to get the engine to turn over. I moved the sprocket clockwise a tooth and after that I could almost fire the bike up with my hand.

The only other thing is double check your right exhaust valve clearance and decompression adjustment.

is there anyway to check other than lining up the dots :)
you can put the piston at TDC with the valves on overlap and see if either the intake or exhaust are closed , if you are a tooth off the overlap wont be split

Will the bike still run right with the timing off? Because mine is running great. I'll check it again this weeked though.

Will the bike still run right with the timing off? Because mine is running great. I'll check it again this weeked though.

Yes it will still run. Just a real pig to kick over. My 2004 came from the factory two teeth out.

I intially thought that it was only one, but after the one tooth adjustment it was still hard to start.

I lined up the mark on the crank and everything but it was still extremely (almost impossible) hard to kick pass the compression stroke.

I then adjusted it using the timing marks on the left side of the crank and adjusted it one more tooth. Wallah! I can kick start it with my slippers on (literally).

My mark on the allen socket end of the crank does not line up perfectly but the ignition timing side is bang on with the timing chain gear mark.

Kicks over like butter compared to before. Starts in 2-3 kick when cold. :)

double check your auto decomp clearance. I know that when I put my top end back together I was having the same problem. I had the same suggestions about the timing being off. I started with the auto decomp as I was very careful about the timing. Sure enough my auto decomp was way off. I must have been smoking something when I checked it because it was not even close when I checked it again. :)