Have questions re East Fort Rock

A few of us are planning a day trip in March to EFR. I know there are staging areas and how to get there but we've been told you can ride right out of Sunriver (or other areas adjacent to hwy 97) out to EFR. I am looking for advice/suggestions on where to do this from and a general route (or is it not worth it and should we just drive to the staging area). Also any tips on lodging would be great. Thanks in advance!

Greg, did you catch my reply in the other EFR thread (NEVERMIND, I READ YOUR REPLY AFTER I WROTE THIS!) :) I think staying in Bend is your best bet. Take either Hwy 20 to Millican and south or take China Hat Rd on Bend's south side to EFR. 1/2 of China Hat Rd is gravel. The one way I know to get over to EFR from LaPine and Sunriver is to cruise up into the Newberry Crater and down the back side near East Lake. Up to the crater is paved. The backside is FS road #21 that takes you right to China Hat and East Buttes. Normally, that road is closed for the winter. I know the snowpack has been lame but, it still may be closed when you come. If it's open, camping at East Lake would be cool and take FS Road #21 down into EFR. Check out this EFR map... EFR .

You can see East lake (Newberry Crater) halfway down the map on the left side. You'll also see the town of Millican on Hwy 20 at the top of the map and China Hat Rd. (#18 from Bend.) on the upper left. Oh, and Road 22 is at the bottom. That takes you to LaPine. I just realized this. From LaPine, 24 miles to the South Lava TH. From Bend, about 25 miles to the 2510 Staging Area. Looks to be about the same either way. I'd chose Bend just for lodging options.

If you need more specific info on routes and Bend, lemme know.

Dan

We lodged in Bend at the River House and headed out (Forgot hwy) past Lava lanes to millican and we staged at Rd 2510 and rode all over the trails. really nice area. Come march for spring break, the cabin we will be at in sunriver is 5 minutes from a trail that leads to the trail system. One day we will head to La pine Christmas valley area an dride all day and then eat at he Chuck wagon that has large, large steaks, whole chicken. all the trails are great. Lodge in Bend.

Greg, did you catch my reply in the other EFR thread (NEVERMIND, I READ YOUR REPLY AFTER I WROTE THIS!) :) I think staying in Bend is your best bet. Take either Hwy 20 to Millican and south or take China Hat Rd on Bend's south side to EFR. 1/2 of China Hat Rd is gravel. The one way I know to get over to EFR from LaPine and Sunriver is to cruise up into the Newberry Crater and down the back side near East Lake. Up to the crater is paved. The backside is FS road #21 that takes you right to China Hat and East Buttes. Normally, that road is closed for the winter. I know the snowpack has been lame but, it still may be closed when you come. If it's open, camping at East Lake would be cool and take FS Road #21 down into EFR. Check out this EFR map... EFR .

You can see East lake (Newberry Crater) halfway down the map on the left side. You'll also see the town of Millican on Hwy 20 at the top of the map and China Hat Rd. (#18 from Bend.) on the upper left. Oh, and Road 22 is at the bottom. That takes you to LaPine. I just realized this. From LaPine, 24 miles to the South Lava TH. From Bend, about 25 miles to the 2510 Staging Area. Looks to be about the same either way. I'd chose Bend just for lodging options.

If you need more specific info on routes and Bend, lemme know.

Dan

Thanks Dan. Great info and great map. So do you think it better to stage in EFR vs. riding to EFR from a distance? Is the ride worth the distance or is it better to just get to EFR? We were originally planning to make it a 2 day trip riding from the Bend area to EFR and then on to Christmas Valley, lodge there and make the return trip the next day. A bunch of us rode the OBDR last year and wanted to make a pass through Christmas Valley again (and the infamous Trail Cafe). Some of us (not mentioning names) didn't feel like we had enough "credits" in the bank to pull off a 2 dayer so we consolidated it down to just one. So we thought we would still get in some x-country riding, hit EFR and x-country back but now I'm wondering if we'd be better off to just stage/ride at EFR. Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks,

Greg

We lodged in Bend at the River House and headed out (Forgot hwy) past Lava lanes to millican and we staged at Rd 2510 and rode all over the trails. really nice area. Come march for spring break, the cabin we will be at in sunriver is 5 minutes from a trail that leads to the trail system. One day we will head to La pine Christmas valley area an dride all day and then eat at he Chuck wagon that has large, large steaks, whole chicken. all the trails are great. Lodge in Bend.

Thanks for the info. See my reply to Dan. Any thoughts on that? Where is the "trail that leads to the trail system"?

Thanks,

Greg

I sent you a PM

somebody tell me if Im wrong. Near Sunriver is Edison Butte, RD 42. Im not finding any others right now. Im still looking.

somebody tell me if Im wrong. Near Sunriver is Edison Butte, RD 42. Im not finding any others right now. Im still looking.

Road 42 is also known as South Century Drive. It starts south of Sunriver and heads Southwest, opposite of where we wanna go. Edison Butte is next to Mt. Bachelor. There's an OHV area there too. Closed in winter.

Greg,

If you're only planning a single day event, just stage on the noth end of EFR and play there. I'm looking at my Oregon Atlas right now and can't find a fun/clean route out of Sunriver or LaPine. I can't tell which roads are paved! Also, I'd imagine that riding from 97 would take up the better part of a day. If you guys wanna hit X-Mas Valley in a single day, take Finley Butte Rd. (22) out of LaPine to the south end of EFR. That would put you closer to X-Mas Valley and if you had time, you guys could rock the trail system a bit. BTW, what bikes do you guys ride?

Dan

Road 42 is also known as South Century Drive. It starts south of Sunriver and heads Southwest, opposite of where we wanna go. Edison Butte is next to Mt. Bachelor. There's an OHV area there too. Closed in winter.

Greg,

If you're only planning a single day event, just stage on the noth end of EFR and play there. I'm looking at my Oregon Atlas right now and can't find a fun/clean route out of Sunriver or LaPine. I can't tell which roads are paved! Also, I'd imagine that riding from 97 would take up the better part of a day. If you guys wanna hit X-Mas Valley in a single day, take Finley Butte Rd. (22) out of LaPine to the south end of EFR. That would put you closer to X-Mas Valley and if you had time, you guys could rock the trail system a bit. BTW, what bikes do you guys ride?

Dan

Thanks Dan. I was concerned that the trip from 97 would be too long and I'm guessing the riding in EFR is better than the route to EFR. I ride an 02 wr250f (see my avatar). We also have an xr400, crf250x, a couple drz400s, XL250, KLR 650, and maybe one or two more. One of my friends is looking for a used DRZ400S if you know of one. Since we only have a day we'll probably just stage and ride in EFR but maybe venture to Paulina lake just to see the sights. There just needs to be more than 24 hours in a day!