04 450 starting problems

Been having a starting problem . Sometimes the bike starts on the first push of the button . While I riding when we stop to take a brake and go to start up the bike you hear the starter try to turn over but won't turn over . So

I pull out the kick start lever and try to kick it over a couple with pulling in the compression release and it is real hard to kick over . After it kicks over once it is real easy . Hit the starter and it fires right up . Maybe something wrong with the valves or compression . I don't know . If anybody has had these problems please let me know . :)

Yes, known symptoms of valves tightening. ... Check your valves before you ride again, they will be tight.

Tight valves will make it easy to kick but then not start. Now something I have seen on the KTM's is if the exhaust valves are too loose the automatic decompresor is deactivated. The reason is it only lifts the valve a few thousands of an inch. I have not check how far the Husky lifts the valves yet so i don't know if it is susceptible to that or not. I would adjust the valves first before dwelling on anything else.

Thanks for the advise . I'll try that and let you know if it solves the problem . :)

When you try and kick it over, and it is hard to kick, does it feel like a heavy slow pull. Kind of like kick through an electric starter that is dragging? If so, mine did the same thing, it was the starter clutch gear in the lower end. Replaced it and everything is fine. Let me know. Maybe see ya at the races again this year,

Aaron "Chili" Roberts

Sort of fells like that . Its just hard to kick over . After the first time it kicks over it get easy after that . I have my bike at SMS racing and they are adjusting my rekluse auto clutch and they are going to check the valves . By the way the rekluse is great . I'll get them to check the starter clutch gear . I'll be riding TSCEC and BJEC . See ya there and thanks . :)

Yeah, mine would stick, and sometimes I could rock it back in forth in gear and it would break free. Kind of weird, but no big deal. Well, I am riding MSHC series again and the BJEC so maybe I will see you again.

Along with that, can you just put on the 05 carb and clear up the 04's carbonation problems? Or is their a good kit out there now for the 04's. The deals on the 04 TC 450s are still going on.

Along with that, can you just put on the 05 carb and clear up the 04's carbonation problems? Or is their a good kit out there now for the 04's. The deals on the 04 TC 450s are still going on.

I sent my carb to Halls Husqvarna in Illinois . They did my carb and my friends carb and it cleared up the carb problems . It cost a little over $100.00 .

It was worth it . Both bikes start good and run good . You can get a hold of them at www.halls-cycles.com :)

Chili Did you have to replace the starter or just the gear and how much does one cost ?