Sign in to follow this  

To shim...Or not to shim!

I have a 2005 250x with about 25 hrs./140 miles on it. Checked the valves today and exhaust is right at spec., but left intake is at .003.

The bike has been a little bit hard to start lately, but I just figured it was the cold weather.

My question is should I shim left intake now, or wait? Will other clearances start to tighten up also?

Thanks for the help!

I have a 2005 250x with about 25 hrs./140 miles on it. Checked the valves today and exhaust is right at spec., but left intake is at .003.

The bike has been a little bit hard to start lately, but I just figured it was the cold weather.

My question is should I shim left intake now, or wait? Will other clearances start to tighten up also?

Thanks for the help!

figure out what shim you need and install it,my left is the one that lost clearance also-if you wait on the others you could be asking for serious problems

Thanks for the help!

Shim now. After about 8 hours (from new), my left intake was at 0.0035. I attibuted it to tightening during break-in. I reshimmed, and it hadn't moved as of 20 hours. I'm now at 30 hours, and will check again soon.