Sign in to follow this  

Remember the biker/mine death?

I remember that. Tragic death. I wish they had some more pictures of the

approach and surrounding area. That is one big hole, they said those big

footings are 16' apart and there are 4 of them.

Looks like they put up a fence. Too bad it took a death.

If I remember right they were on private land and its not required

by law to seal or even mark them? Might have been another incident.

Here is the original story:

http://www.sdorc.org/mineshaft_accident.html

I can't believe there is a un covered mine hole in the USA today. There should be people who close them off. There has to be atleast one person who has seen that mine hole and should have called someone to cover it. Sad........

They should use some OHV registration money for fencing thoes off!

I can't believe there is a un covered mine hole in the USA today. There should be people who close them off. There has to be atleast one person who has seen that mine hole and should have called someone to cover it. Sad........
There are, and have been dozens of them. Some of them have probably gone unknown for 150 years. Know where you're riding, and don't depend on someone else for your safety.

I can't believe there is a un covered mine hole in the USA today.

There is a abandon mineshaft less than 300 yards from my house. The hole goes into the side of the mountain so at least you can't fall into it. They recently fenced the property that the shaft is on. However, anyone can crawl under the fence where the water drains from it and walk right in it. It is unbelievable to me that nobody closes these things off.

As sorry as I was to read about the accidient back when it happened, I can't believe someone would top a hill without knowing what was on the other side.

Remember that next time you're upset about paying taxes. ALOT of out tax money gets wasted, but some of it is put to good use.

I believe it did happen on private property, but close to a trail they had ridden before. Accidents happen, no need to increase their frequency by being careless.

Just keep in mind that only about 15% of the mineshafts in CA are covered or sealed off. Always take it slow when you see a tell-tell hill in the middle of the desert, there is usually a mine nearby.

Around these mine shaft holes. The dirt is a different color, you can tell something is not normal. Be smart and safe while riding uncharted territories.

Every road trip I take with my family across the desert Highway, When I see a mine shaft, I point out the loose soil/dirt to them, they allways tell me, ya dad, we know............... it's a mine shaft beware.........I've been saying the same things to them for 15 years. It's getting pretty old to them, but you never know :)

God Bless and Rest in Peace :) MATT :p

This story truly does send shivers down my spine each time I reflect on it. My heart goes out to the family and friends of this fallen comrade.

Action needs to be taken here to prevent this from happening. A non-profit organization needs to be established to seal off these treacherous holes spread throughout California and the nation as a whole. It could easily be funded and it is something that I know many would volunteer to do.