Custom Skidplate...lil late

Hey, Got this made by Tonns a while back. Right after I exploded my waterpump on a rock in the side of the rut I was riding in. That wont happen again! This thing is a monster! If ya want one just ask for the Sno Special!!! ?

IM000338.jpg

IM000339.jpg

IM000341.jpg

IM000342.jpg

IM000343.jpg

How does it attach to the bike??

Bolts or clamps.

Looks good.

Corky

All bolts. Oil changes are a bit of a chore (or very messy, depending if ya take it off or not). But so was getting towed out 20 miles to the truck with a broken water pump!!!

Ohhh ya and about those action pics.....I have to much fun riding to stop and take any!!! One of these days I will get a helmetcam setup for my minidv sony and show ya guys why I need this monster!

Mine goes on n off pretty easy with the holes drilled in the sides and a cut down socket to fit the bolts. I tried 1 oil change leaving it on and trying to make a lil funnel for the frame drain....heh did not work out to well for the garage floor!

He set me all up. When we were goin over the design he told me about the side holes people were putting in. We decided that was the only way to go with this badboy as it would be real real tough with out em! As far as the crappy welds go....they look a lot better then the ones I make! ?

yeah... I have a notch on the frame. I can change my oil no problem with the plate on....

i was looking in my photogallery to see if i have a picture showing the notch, but don't have one.

Not sure what you would use to cut the notch, i didn't do mine... fullbore did it for me

I also bought one. Beefy but the welds looked like crap!

I tig at work so it was an easy fix, and the price was pretty good.

I'll give it a B+ because it's bombproof.

Mike Tonn puts it right out there for everyone: He says on the writeup on the directions that his goal is to produce a quality product that will last. He admits that it is not the most beautiful thing to look at (points out the scuffs and scrapes even) but that's not the point. Rock solid, I give it an 'A'. ?

ThanKs Flux! I think you have to look at it from Oconnors point as well, I do for sure! I'm sure Oconner is a precision Tig welder and guys like me could only aspire to one day be as good as he is. I Only just got the Tig a short while ago and had no clue how to use it. I have done several old school techniques in welding and must say that Tig is extremely hard to learn. In some Cases i ran into trouble and had to mig the entire plate. I'm finding that cleaning the aluminum is 3/4 of the battle so they are turning out much better now. Just remember that my initial design was completely Mig weldeld and I tested the strength of the side protectors by setting trucks on them to see if they would hold the weight (They do) They are strong when they go in the box and even stroger when you bolt them on. I did exstensive bashing on the plate while in Colorado and had the side guards hitting massive boulders at speeds ( mostly not on purpose)and it would move the boulder or the bike one. Like any plate it took damage but it never caved in . The side protectors are very stout and stick out in such a way as to protect the side covers very well. I've found that the plate aids in layovers as well because of this trait.I never realized that there were so many DRZ's out there! Your not alone with your 400 boys let me tell you that! ?

Sorry guys, maybe I sounded too harsh. I like the plate alot. I can't see needing anything stouter. Tonn did lay it out there looks-wize as not some pretty-boy skidplate, and the price is right. I just judged it by what I would get by with on the job I guess. ?