Sign in to follow this  

balls of feet?

I've been riding for a while. As being an avid mountain biker before, I ride on the balls of my feet, just feels more natural to me. Ive read up that this could be bac. Should i try to break the habit?

absolutely not especially if you ride in the woods the balls are always better

I second that! Riding on the balls of your feet will give you 4 inches more leg suspension and a better feel. it also allows you a little more forward lean without bending at the waist.

However, you can extend your leg stamina if you give your calves a break when things are going easy.. of course, maybe you have a seat to sit on. If not, ride on the instep of your boot to rest and shift to the balls of your feet for performance. Keeping your ankles about 1-1/2 inches away from the frame will also help with the leg suspension and allow a little side to side work too.

:)

I brought this technique over from my racetrack riding and I prefer it. I've also read Gary Semics' book and it's mentioned in there. But I have trouble bringing my left foot forward into the right position for shifts when I'm standing so I've tended to stand on my arches lately.

Anybody got any advice on this?

Cheers

Ian

I go back and forth from my arches to the balls of my feet. Riding on the balls of your feet works very well in whoops. I feel more stable landing jumps on my arches.

I've been watching my foot position quite a bit since this topic was posted up last time. I always knew I rode on the balls of my feet the majority of the time but what suprised me was how little I move my foot for the weight shift from the ball of my foot to the arch. The majority of the time it is less than an inch of movement forward or back. I ride the majority of the time very close to the transition point.

But I have trouble bringing my left foot forward into the right position for shifts when I'm standing so I've tended to stand on my arches lately.

Anybody got any advice on this?

Cheers

Ian

The only advice I can give is don't ride on your arches if your in the woods or rocks. If you catch the front of your foot the results are less than pleasing.

I have the same problem with my left foot and must pay attention all the time.

absolutely not especially if you ride in the woods the balls are always better

I assume you may have learned the hard way too.

lol no i didnt learn the hard way this was posted about a couple months ago i started watching what i did on the bike and it slowly got better just keep paying attention to your feet on the easier parts of the ride

I pretty much ride on my arches all the time so I can work the brake and shifter quickly. If I was always on the balls of my feet it seems like I would have to be moving my feet around like the cast of Riverdance! :)

Just to confuse the issue, I had some enduro training at the weekend from some top flight UK enduro riders and I was picked out specifically for riding on the balls of my feet and told not to.

They said that the chances of injury were high, either by slipping back off the footpeg or by tendon/ligament damage through a heavy landing. So I rode on my arches for the rest of the course and kept hitting neutral every time I hit something heavy in 2nd.

Now I'm really confused - Semics, he say yes, my instructors, they say no.

Ian

Switching to riding on the balls of my feet was one of the biggest factors in my riding improving. My balance is much better and I can grip the bike better with my legs by "heel locking."

I learned what some consider poor habits over 33 years.

1. I ride on my arches, not the balls of my feet.

2. I tend to drop my elbows.

3. I tend to shift my weight way back over the rear fender over really big whoops.

I don't consider any of them a bad habit necessarily. It doesn't slow me down as far as I can tell. Although I do occasionally catch my boot on a bush or rock going 40mph the other way.

I ride on my arches because I tend to hit ditches and washes pretty hard and would likely sprain an ankle (or I'd have to keep shifting back and forth constantly). I drop my elbows because it seems to cost me more energy to keep them up than it costs me when I don't. By weighting the rear suspension, I keep the front wheel on the tops of the whoops at speed. I seem to have a 5-10mph edge on most of the guys I ride with. But it does take a lot of energy and strength. So I avoid the really long whooped out trails, hehehe.

you wanna try sumthin' freaky? i just got some"power pegz" they pivot 20' fore and aft. got on the first time and it was like ridin' a bowlin' ball with a rod through it !!!! said oh my god , these things are goin' back. but after about ten min. i stopped fightin' and just let them do thier thing,i was really impressed way more comfortable.its like the bike is one with you! up and down hills,standing in the attack position is way easier and i can actually shift while i'm standing now without wanting to sit!! the only screwy thing so far is that while in a wheelie and shifting it tends to make you grab the next gear? just gonna have to get used to it. i'll let you know how they work on a real ride later :)