Antigravity Batteries Giveaways: Winners Announced! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Does the compression valving get stiffer the farther the fork travels?

Does the compression valving get progressively stiffer the farther the fork travels? Just got done rebuilding forks and putting .49's in. Looking at the inner chamber, but I have not received the 1.7 springs. Just wondering if the compression gets stiffer as the inner chamber spring compresses. I think the fork oil level only changes the last couple of inches of travel before bottoming. And viscosity of oil changes the compression and rebound. Any insight would be appreciated.

no the valving is speed sensitive not position sensitive meaning it has the same damping values at the end of the stroke as the begining. The spring on the other hand is position sensitive and does get stiffer as its compressed- some more than others. Your right the amount of air volume can change bottoming resistance beginning the last couple inches of travel mostly although valving is the same you now have compressed air acting like a second (or in the case of a twin chamber-3rd) spring.

thanks

I thought the valving got progressivly stiffer but its really how fast the fork compresses. thanks that helps