Sign in to follow this  

Dual Sport Registration in CA

If you have a liscense plate on your Bike do you still need to get an off road Registration or does the plate enable you to ride off road too? I just bought a 02 XR 400 (plated) it also has a green sticker, do I need to keep the OHV Reg or will a plate make me legal off road?

What a small world, I too just bought the same bike about a month ago and took the paperwork to the dmv. I had two pink slips, one for the green sticker and one for the street registration. Althought I told the clerk I would be glad to keep paying for the green sticker too, The DMV clerk said the green sticker pink and registration was invalid and that the street plate and registration allowed me to ride green sticker areas.

Forget about green sticker registration. Green sticker registration may actually be a negative if your are trying to street register the bike.

Don't bother with the green sticker. They would probably just use that money from your green sticker to help close another area. :)

Don't bother with the green sticker. They would probably just use that money from your green sticker to help close another area. :)

i agree with weeeeee. proud owner of a 04 xr400 paco paez :)

The dual registration tends to be for people who race their bike and need to remove the street stuff to compete. This leaves the green sticker which keeps them legal to race. Either the license or green sticker must be on the bike when using it in it's appropriate venue.

As said previously....a license is good for everywhere if you keep all the street stuff on all the time, as I do.

I like to remove my plate when I'm riding offroad only. But even if I didn't I'd still keep the green - the green sticker program helps support our riding areas while the plate fee's do nothing for that.

I think it helps, as well as being agressively involved in saving our riding areas.

In the Anza Borego area of Sand Dunes, we are about to regain the rights to ride in a huge area ( I think its like 40,000 acres). I was reading about it a week or so ago in local paper. It was deemed protected due to some lame ass little plant (would be different if that plant cured cancer)...that now it in abundance throughout the sand dunes. Its through the funding and hard work that we keep and sometimes conquer new riding grounds.

The sand dunes here are the best in the good ol USA and we are lucky to have them and need to bust our asses to keep it that way.

Glamis, Buttercup, Gordons Well, Ocotillo...cant be beaten for desert fun.

Live Long...Ride Hard

*ps* Nice to read the info since my 2003 XR650L has the plates I dont need green stickies.

Good question. My Green sticker lapsed in 2002 and I never renewed it. I'm thinking that I should renew it, but I'm afraid it will raise questions at the DMV! Like, they might want the plate back! Plus, I can only imagine the late fees! :)