High Pressure Cleaners - DO YOU USE ONE?

Hopefully Brian can convert this to a poll? I have had numerous discussions from all sorts of riders about cleaning their bikes with high pressure cleaners. One of our states best riders (he has state titles and one national title) also has his own automotive business and he has no problems and in fact recommended I clean my bike with a high pressure cleaner. The only precaution obviously is not to jam it up into the fork seals and the wheels & steering head where the bearings are. I also just need to be mindful of the swingarm bearings and the throttle cable cap cover on the carby. I hold 100% faith in him and his advice. However I am interested in what you all do. But others have told me not to use a HP cleaner at all. He also been told me to clean the chain with it and have thus far always cleaned the chain with it (DID O-ring chain) with no problems at all. I therefore ask how many of you guys use a HP water cleaner to clean your bikes down after your rides? What precautions do you use and what problems have you experienced (if any)?

Just use a regular hose w/ a mild high pressure tip a little elbow grease, and some degreaser, watch out for the cdi box and electronics if any and leave the bike running while washing and you will not risk any damage to seals etc.................. ?

2,700psi Honda 6.5 horse from Home Depot. I use it all the time on all the bikes. I do not use O-Ring chains and I do clean them with the pressure washer. I stay away from the stearing head, all bearings and seals. It cut my wash time by 3/4. Walk the pits at any motox race and see how the pro's are washing their bikes. If a bearing fails due to the pressure washer, replace it. The time saved is well worth it.

Under the guidance given to me I have been spraying degreaser first, then rinsing off with the standard household hose, then I use truck wash and a soft brush then clean all that off with the high pressure cleaner including attacking the chain.

I then dry it all off by just simply wiping down with a rag. That allows we to identify anything that is loose or worn or in need of repair as well as what I may have previously missed then re do that too.

Finally I then spray down with Inox including the chain and then start pulling down the bike for the post ride service that I will do during the week.

I have a karcher that I got @ Costco. I don't mind getting close to my chain, 'cause I lube 'd hell out of it anyway. Anyway, I use the HP washer mostly for cleaning bikes and my cars.

I got the Karscher from Costco also. I really like it. Karscher make some high quality units. That oscillating tip really takes the mud off, grafix too if you want it to.

I guess it depends on how dirty your bike gets. I don't always use mine. Sometimes the hose is enough. If the bike is muddy then I use it being careful of the sensetive areas. I don't use degreasers on my bike. Just car wash soap and a scrub brush.

PW's are a time/water saving tool. Use them wisely ?

It depends on how dirty they they are, and on the kind of dirt. I'll use my pressure washer if they're coated with clay, but I don't use it if it's not needed. Just Simple Green and a hose.

When using one, be mindful of what you're spraying and the angle of "attack". I spray the chain with it, but only straight from the side, and backed away a little. Someone mentioned fork seals, same deal there. Just think about what you're doing and be a little prudent, you'll be OK.

I broke down and bought a pressure washer a couple years ago to blow loose paint off of my house. I'm not sure how I lived without one for so long. I use it for everything from blowing leaves off the lawn to cleaning BBQ grills. And yes, I even use it on the bikes. No problems so far

Tim

this could be kind of a foolish question. but is there any type of self-contained power washer? i actually don't have access to a hose at the moment. live in bkln, bike's kept indoors, no hose. i could clean by hand, but rinsing is really tough.

any suggestions?

I have a power washer and I don't use it on my bikes ?

It's not that hard to wash it with the hose and a little scrubbing ?

If I did a "little scrubbing", I would be scrubbing forever. The clay we ride in dries to a cement-like-rock. I'm lucky if a pressure washer can get it off.

Chris.

2,700psi Honda 6.5 horse from Home Depot. I use it all the time on all the bikes. I do not use O-Ring chains and I do clean them with the pressure washer. I stay away from the stearing head, all bearings and seals. It cut my wash time by 3/4. Walk the pits at any motox race and see how the pro's are washing their bikes. If a bearing fails due to the pressure washer, replace it. The time saved is well worth it.

I just got the very same one from Home Depot about a month ago! Didn't know what I was missing. When I get back from the desert I have to wash my F350, 22' GearBox and at least 3 bikes and one quad. The light blub finally clicked on!

Forgive the pun but..."What a blast!" ?