Sign in to follow this  

99 Yz400f

Alright wanted to get yall's opions.... I can snag a 1999 YZ400F for 1800. It has acerbis handguards, fork savers, acerbis fork guards, aftermarket allow sprocket, o ring chain, radiator guards, easy pull aftermarket clutch, sticker kit on it, and acerbis frame guards. The guy has only ridden it about twice in the last year he said. It started up about four kicks cold and ran great. He said he changed oil after about every 2 to 3 rides. It looks SICK. What do you guys think? Good deal? Is it a good bike? Does any one have any experience with this bike?

YZ400Fs are adequate MX bikes, but are the worst bikes ever for trail riding, except possibly a Sportster.

I sold my excellent 2000 YZ426F for $1480 two years ago. I'd like to see photos of it before I give an opinion.

I rode mine from 1999 to 2004, mostly trail and desert stuff. It was rock solid, no valve movement and ran strong till the day I sold it. I think $1800 is a little high though.

I sold a cherry 2000 WR400, with YZ plastic to boot..for $1300. It was awesome looking...But still a 99-02 YZF..Which means long, slow turning, hard to start after a dump over, Stone reliable, crazy revving power. The WR was better than my YZF was but not by much! I sold it and bought a 01 YZ250 that was awesome for $1500!!! It was soo much better than the WR/YZF!

Don't know where you are located but the Indy Craigslisp has a sweet 2000 YZ250 for $900!!!!!!

My good friend who has a account here has one i like it a lot, it corners great, the suspension is alright actually, it feels heavy when your not moving but once you get moving it feels like a 250f. It actually is a beast in the woods not quite a 450 which is what i like but its got so much more torque then a 250f when your going up a muddy hill climb you'll like the power. I say get it if you can talk the price down some.

Price seems a bit steep, but the 98-99 YZ400F was a great bike.

A friend of mine had one and I loved riding that thing after my 250F, especially in sandy stuff. The powerband is just like a tractor it pulls and pulls. However, it is very heavy and a bike that is ten years old is no doubt going to be in need for some serious maintenance soon enough (main bearings, anyone?) so you have to factor that in as well. Pics would be nice, if you have them.

man...it sounds like we were looking at the exact bike. Im in north fort worth. i bought my yz400f 3 weeks ago and I absolutely LOVE IT!!! Im not as experiencedas all the guys on here but for me riding with my son on his KX 65 monster, we are having a blast. I picked up mine for 1300 and I honestly think the guy I bought it from thought he was selling me a lemon. In the owners manual 'tucked' away were some receipts from 2 different shops he had taken it to for 'hard to start' problems. There is a procedure for starting this beast but if you follow that procedure correctly it will start with the first or second kick. No problems with mine...I love it. Good luck