Sign in to follow this  

gas mileage with cargo trailer

I have a 1998 dodge ram 1/2 ton, and thinking about going on a pretty lengthy trip with some buddies and our bikes this march. I have a cargo trailer thats about 10 to 13 feet long by about 5 or 6 feet wide, and im wondering what a trailer that size filled with a bunch of toys would do to my gas mileage. I know it will bring it down, but does anyone know by about how much?

I have a 2003 Ram 2500. The only time I have pulled an enclosed trailer was when I borrowed a friends 6' X 10' Wells Cargo to pick up a bike I bought. It dropped my highway mileage by 2 mpg (15 to 13) mostly due to wind resistance. Trailer was empty from Ohio to Iowa, had a DRZ in it (300 lbs extra maybe) on the way back.

I used to pull an 8' X 12' trailer with my 95 Ram 2500 with the V 10 and the mileage never changed. That truck got 13.5 mpg on the highway no matter how much was in the bed. Even cross country with a 7000 lb trailer didn't affect it. Not sure why the two trucks were different, probably because the 95 had a manual trans, my 2003 is an automatic.

If it's an enclosed trailer and you don't have a shell on your truck, you'll probably loose2-4 mpg, mainly from the wind resistance of the trailer. If you have a shell on your truck it'll cut the wind some and help. If you're pulling a flatbed trailer it'll have less wind resistance and that'll help too.

I've got a Ford F150 with the 4.6 and a 5 speed. Empty mileage is 17-18mpg. With my 10X6 enclosed trailer and 4 bikes; it drops to 13-14mpg. Would assume your Dodge to be similiar.