Sign in to follow this  

Chain Adjusters

Is it just me or do the cam type chain adjusters on the XR4 seem kinda cheap and not to accurate. Whenever I tighten up the axle nut the adjuster on that side wants to turn with it and pull away from the pin......pain in the butt. Is it something I"m doing or a way to fix this....or a better adjuster out there.

Thanks

Steve :)

I always rest a foot on top of the chain, so the adjuster cam is held tight to the pins. Once its snug, the foot comes off, and I finish tightening the axle nut.

Robert :)

I put a small screwdriver on rear sprocket and spin to tighten up the chain. This will push the adjusters up tight, then thighten the axle nut.

With the bike on a stand - I throw a rag in between the chain and the sprocket and then roll the wheel backward to pull it tight. Then tighten the axle nut while the chain is pulling the rear wheel forward. (similar to the screwdriver trick - just easier on the screwdriver!)

- jeff

When I adjust my chain adjusters, I sit down behind the bike and kinda lean up againts the tire towards the front of the bike till it get it tight enough for it to stay. I just ordered some new adjusters from honda since my number 15 adjustment groove was worn out. The snail type adjustment is a lot easier to adjust then the other type.