Sign in to follow this  

2002 yz250f or 2003 yz250f

Does any one know how often you should replace the top end on these bikes{piston,rings,etc] and I'm going to be racing and riding motocross with it and some trials so it will be ridden hard . Do you also know if you should replace the crank every year or something. And lastly, since I live in California and they have the stupid red sticker law, do you think the changes that the 2003 yz250f got is worth it to not ride at OHV parks and places where they don't allow red stickers during red sticker season.

If you live in Southern California like me, the red sticker is mostly a non-issue since it's usually too darn HOT to ride in the desert during the summer and early fall months anyway. 2003 gets auto-decompression for easier starting and some other marginally different things. There's lots of good deals on 2003's if you look hard. 2002's can be modified for the auto-decompression cam if you want easy start and green sticker.

The 02 feels like a tank compared to the 03/04. Ergo's are better on the 03. You don't have to pour your oil behind the triple clamp on the 03.