Sign in to follow this  

Prep on a new 3 year old bike?

Can anyone offer some advice on what prep work should be done on a new 4-stroke dirt bike that has been in its crate for a couple of years? Does it require any special treatment prior to starting to ensure that the motor is properly lubricated? I am just wondering if it has sat for so long should you first turn the motor over without actually starting it to move some oil through the system? Maybe there isn't enough pressure to move the oil if it isn't acutally started? Should the oil that has been sitting in the motor for two years be dumped and new oil put in prior to the first starting?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Cranks

I'd probably just freshen up the oil for the heck of it, just to make sure I have the right amount of oil in there. Don't forget, DO NOT break it in with synthetic oil - use normal motorcycle-specific petroleum-based (dinosaur) oil. Not having oil when it first starts is really hard to avoid, and will probably help to rings to seat completely.

While it's all clean you may want to go ahead and pull the steering head apart and grease those bearings along with the swingarm and wheel bearings. I like the Bel Ray waterproof grease.

I and many many others swear by this break-in method. Engine Break-In Secrets

Can anyone offer some advice on what prep work should be done on a new 4-stroke dirt bike that has been in its crate for a couple of years? Does it require any special treatment prior to starting to ensure that the motor is properly lubricated? I am just wondering if it has sat for so long should you first turn the motor over without actually starting it to move some oil through the system? Maybe there isn't enough pressure to move the oil if it isn't acutally started? Should the oil that has been sitting in the motor for two years be dumped and new oil put in prior to the first starting?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Cranks

I bought mine new in the crate (04 WR450F) and all I had to do was bolt down the handlebars, add oil, gas and hook up the battery. I suspect yours wont have a battery though. Production date on mine said it was basically setting in this crate for about a year.

i dont know why i'm in this forum but I can tell you that you definatly will want to pu t in fresh oil to assure prpoer quantity. lube all axels, swing arm pivots, chain, headset, you may even want to replace the air filter and oil filter(s?) as they could be affected by age, weather, etc?

Good luck with the new bike.

Miguel in san diego for acoupla more days, see you in the great white north