Sign in to follow this  

hooked give me performance

I have 1993 DR650, isd2 supertrapp, runs great, want more motor, brakes, suspension, lighter weight, come on guys give me the skinny! I ride the north Georgia mountains, and western North Carolina, best twisties bar none!

Will build bike if I can get good info....somebody stop me!!!!!!!!

I have 1993 DR650, isd2 supertrapp, runs great, want more motor, brakes, suspension, lighter weight, come on guys give me the skinny! I ride the north Georgia mountains, and western North Carolina, best twisties bar none!

Will build bike if I can get good info....somebody stop me!!!!!!!!

Maybe you should buy a KTM or Husaberg or an Honda CRF450 or something instead ? :)

Dr650 1993: The heavy, slighlty more powerful version without electric starter...

An 1996 - Dr650 is lighter, and has an electric starter. So trading in your bike for a later model will give you -20kg's but about 4 less HP (stock figures)

Of course you can still modify your -93 DR650, even though you never will be able to get as much out of it as a KTM or similar.

Slipon + airbox mod and Dynojet - if that's done, other modifications to the engine is expensive (switching of carb, cam shaft, work on head etc etc) - so in that case, economically speaking, you would be better of buying another bike.

Weight: Well, remove all unnecessary items... May give you a couple of kg's off...

Brakes: Buy a braided hose (instead of the all rubber origial one. Usually makes the front brake a bit better. Other than that you could of course replace the whole brake kit ($$$$$) - but i really dont see the point. Suzuki DR's usually have good enough brakes, definately good enough for dirt.

Suspension - one of the DR's weakest points. Upgrade to stiffer springs in the front (AND back?). Maybe even buy a Öhlins or other kit (expensive !! $$$$)

Bottom line: Everything is possible. And you may want to do all the extreme and extremely expesnive mods just for the fun. But economically and performance wise there will be a limit where buying a better/more modern bike is a better option.

So if you have done the Slipon,dynojet,airbox the motor is pretty much maxed. You can do some smaller things on the rest of the bike, like changing brake hose, getting harder springs, heavier fork oil etc. But soon you will need the expensive stuff to get further on both motor and bike...

/K

I just joined this site only moments ago and immediately saw your question. I own a 2004 DR 650. Exhaust- I have tried two different exhausts on my bike already. I first replaced the stock muffler with the Hindle Supersport off my VFR 800 (I built a pipe to go from stock headpipe to the Hindle out of automotive exhaust stuff). I replaced the stock 140 main jet with a 165 and shimmed the needle with a nylon washer. The bike ran great, but very loud! I put the Hindle on my girlfriends 400 Bandit and slapped an IDS2 Supertrapp on the Big Yellow Thing. More torque on the bottom (the side effect of ending up with a 4 foot headpipe), but power tapers off early on top. I removed the air box snorkel and cut the top out of my air box (the infamous "air box mod"). If you ride mostly on the street, you can get the same effect by simply removing the side door of the air box. Engine- high performance cams will set you back around $150-$200 bucks. I don't know what size the carb is on the 93, but mine sports a 40mm Mikuni, so I won't be replacing that. You might find one on ebaymotors. Suspension- both ends of the DR need stiffer springs and dampning. If you want to stick with the stock stuff, check out Racetech, they even have a spring rate calculator on their web site. What I did was replace my front forks with an inverted set from a 1995 Honda Cr 250R. Some machining was required, but any competent machinist can complete the job. My bike is still a work in progress, and it probably always will be. I hope you have as much fun working on your bike as I do on mine (ease of maintainance is another DR plus). I hope this info was of some use to you.